Finally have an AOS Interview date

Received our letter for interview this week.

We moved last month and i hadnt gotten around to doing the change of address but fortunately the Post Office forwarded it to me.

I am wondering what exactly we need to bring. It gives us a list of things that we already had sent with the I-485, Do ya reckon i need to make copies again? I am not sure I have copies.

They also sent us a letter requesting new sets of fingerprints. I assume the others are outdated.

Received our letter for interview this week.

We moved last month and i hadnt gotten around to doing the change of address but fortunately the Post Office forwarded it to me.

I am wondering what exactly we need to bring. It gives us a list of things that we already had sent with the I-485, Do ya reckon i need to make copies again? I am not sure I have copies.

They also sent us a letter requesting new sets of fingerprints. I assume the others are outdated.

177384[/snapback]

First of all - 19 months?! ouch! I hope we don't wait that long ... where are you guys located again?

Also, although it's too late now, it's a good idea to keep copies of EVERYTHING you send in, so you have it for handy reference. I understand from other people that have had their AOS interviews that the interviewer will have a big file with EVERYTHING you sent them, but it's a good idea for your own reference. (Don't mean to do a "should've" on you ... but this is good advice for everyone else ...)

When we did my wife's fingerprints and biometrics, the National Benefits Center on the phone told us to bring two copies of the receipt notice (presumably to give to the local office). When we got there, they didn't want them, so we took them back. I think the practice of what you need to show is far from uniform, but if you already sent the things in, you probably don't need to make copies and they're just requesting it as a measure to make sure the office has what it needs, BUT, just the same, I'd make copies of what they ask for - after all, they asked.

As for another set of fingerprints, considering our fingerprints are the same since birth, I don't think fingerprints can ever be outdated, so I'd call and ask what they need. And if you have evidence it was done already, I would make sure they don't charge you an additional fee if they lost them or want "updated" ones for some unknown reason.

Caveat: I assume you don't mean fingerprints different from the ones done in China for the visa --- the set of fingerprints for the visa are only the index fingers; not the "ten print" (all ten fingers) petitioners do for AOS. If that's the case, then your wife will have to do them "again", because the ones done in China are not the same as what is required now.

CIS doesn't care if you had the fingerprints done already. And if they tell you to go get them done again, you better go do it! If they tell you to jump, you say, "How High!?" And if they tell you to pay, you say, "How Much!?"

As the old adage goes, you can't fight "city hall!"

Patrick, I'm happy to hear that you and Li's time has come. I know what a long wait is like.

Just oblige them on whatever they want and smile when you're doing it. Just get in and get out and be done with it, hopefully with good results. As long as you two have been waiting, I'm sure the results will be good.

-good luck

I also don't understand why they want another copy of everything sent with the I-485. We'll probably show up with the one copy and then they will instruct us to return when we have two copies! I can understand them wanting us to bring the originals. Apparently I sent them the original of my divorce decree and now I have to go get another court stamped original.

I'll jump through as many hoops as I can to cover the bases. I think they just want the extra copy for the local paper drive.

Good luck with it, it should be the last time to deal with them for the next 10 years!

Congratulations!!! You should do fine.

The most often requested items at interview seem to be wedding pictures. Also photos of interaction with family. A life insurance plan or pension naming your wife as beneficiary as well as joint banking accounts seem to make a big hit at interview.