Yahoo Messenger and PinYin

Does anyone know how to get Simplified characters to display in Yahoo Messenger or perhaps one of teh other messenger programs like MSN or AIM? My SO has a translator that can send me these character in her Yahoo messenger but it is part of her business software.

I am hoping to be able to save her some money in translator expenses by being able to translate on my end. I have a free program / web site that will do that job, but when I copy / paste into Yahoo Messenger nothing displays for me or her.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The Rak

When Jingwen and I were corresponding via Yahoo Messenger, I was not using Windows IME since I couldn't tell which of the offered hanzi characters corresponded to my pinyin input. What I did was use translation software for my English input. Unfortunately, when I pasted the Chinese translation into Yahoo, it displayed as ??????? despite the Chinese encoding. My solution was a two step process. Once translated to Chinese, I copied the sentence to a program called CquickTrans ( http://www.coolest.com/ ). From there I recopied it to the instant messenger window, and everything worked fine. CquickTrans also gave me the added ability to see how a particular word was constructed. I still use CquickTrans, and find it a valuable study tool.

I had the same difficulty and my solution was that when I wanted to exchange chinese characters with my SO in an IM mode, I used Skype chat (www.skype.com ; which is marketed more for calling over the internet--if both sides have skype, then calls are free; otherwise still cheap to call a cell in china). So, this software doubles as a phone and IM. She can also load it and install it as language=chinese, for menus, etc.

We also translated using websites.. be very careful since the translations are far from good and grammar appears all twisted.. but you'll get used to it. I used to translate my english to chinese; then back to english... if I could not understand it, then I made the original even shorter sentences and simplier. My SO said she often 'guessed'.. as I did at times with her messages...