Another business-related visa delay story

From a 2/18 story--U.S. Firms Feel the Pinch of Tighter Border Security...

The visa issue has become particularly burdensome in China, where U.S. firms are fighting for a share of one of the world's fastest-growing technology markets.

Chip Storie, vice president of marketing for Cincinnati Machine Inc., spent months trying to persuade officials to give him an export license so he could sell a high-tech metal-cutting tool to Chengdu Aircraft last year. The Chinese aerospace firm, a major Boeing supplier, was going to use the machine to build tail components for Boeing's 757. But four months after its completion, the gear still sits in Cincinnati because the Chinese company has been unable to obtain visas to the U.S. for its personnel.

"I'm not getting paid because I can't ship the product, and my customer is upset because the U.S. government had already approved to ship this equipment," said Storie, whose firm is a subsidiary of Woodland Hills-based Unova Inc.

More worrisome is the potential effect on Cincinnati Machine's future business in China, its largest export market. Competitors in Europe and Japan are taking advantage of the situation, painting the U.S. as an unreliable business partner because of the increased security controls, Storie said.

"I have another $15 million to $20 million in business I'm pursuing in China, and the Chinese are telling us that they have significant concerns about giving us orders," he said. "They don't know if they'll be able to do business with us in a normal fashion."

Another shot in the arm for the ailing US economy, huh? :unsure:

Wonder how many jobs will eventually be lost because this company loses its chances for Chinese contracts? And the beat goes on.... :huh:

not only for business, some people I spoke to about studying in the US is more towards Canada, both for safety reasons and visa reasons.

The economy? The U.S. is planning a costly invasion of Iraq. The market is down. The budget deficit is soaring. More tax cuts are planned, which will increase said deficit. And businesses engaged in international trade are now at a clear disadvantage to competitors overseas. No problem. ;)

It is incredibly stupid because Chinese people have nothing to do with any security threat.  How secure is it for Uncle Sam to shoot himself in the foot?

I think that's the overlap between the business story reported in the LA Times and the ongoing K-class visa story chronicled on Candle. In both cases, it's difficult to understand the security threat.

Even Disney is worried.

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.boston.com/news/daily/19/odds_fries.htm

War jitters trigger hiring freeze at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida

Disney is wise that they are planning to open a park in Hong Kong, and Universal is so in Shanghai.

The safety can be secured by tightened security, but the free economy (business) will go to its most favorable places that people do not have to wait for over a year to get the visa to visit...

Even Disney is worried.

For the Disney story:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...1437EST0152.DTL

If Disney World is worried about fewer customers, I wonder what they're thinking at Euro Disney, aka Disney World Paris.

Eric?

Even Disney is worried.

Disney is wise that they are planning to open a park in Hong Kong, and Universal is so in Shanghai.

The safety can be secured by tightened security, but the free economy (business) will go to its most favorable places that people do not have to wait for over a year to get the visa to visit...

I thought Universal was planning to open in Shenzhen.

Even Disney is worried.

I thought Universal was planning to open in Shenzhen.

Good, too! I don't need another visa to go from Shanghai to Shenzhen!

:) :)