Proof of Ex-spouse in China?

If you're bringing over a child with the SO then she will need his written, notarized consent to allow the child to leave the country.  This is by international treaty to prevent spousal kidnapping.

158148[/snapback]

We had this document just in case, but it was not asked for, and I could not find any requirerments specificly for this.

But, I think I would have been very nervous though with out it.

Filed a DCF in HK and now we are wondering if we should try to track down my wife's ex husband (divorced 8 years ago) to get a pic of him holding a Chinese newspaper.  What do you think?  Do we need this info when she is called in for an interview? I ask b/c I've read a few posts about folks getting blue slips b/c a VO asks about the ex.  FYI: We have all the official, notarized divorce documents signed and sealed.  By the time she interviews, we will have our first child.  Mmmm, what is enough?

Advice is appreciated.

hamlet

157964[/snapback]

Interesting.. I had not heard of doing DCF through HK... I thought you had to file state side and your K3 could then be done at HK ? Maybe you've found a new, fast, path :blink:

If your interview is in HK, we don't have much of a historical on their handling of issues like this... my gut says that it's not necessary, unless your SO is divorced and the 'ex' has custody of a child.. and then, I'm still not sure I would go to the trouble since HK probably doesn't look at some of these issues the same as GUZ...

Good luck !

Filed a DCF in HK and now we are wondering if we should try to track down my wife's ex husband (divorced 8 years ago) to get a pic of him holding a Chinese newspaper.  What do you think?  Do we need this info when she is called in for an interview? I ask b/c I've read a few posts about folks getting blue slips b/c a VO asks about the ex.  FYI: We have all the official, notarized divorce documents signed and sealed.  By the time she interviews, we will have our first child.  Mmmm, what is enough?

Advice is appreciated.

hamlet

157964[/snapback]

Interesting.. I had not heard of doing DCF through HK... I thought you had to file state side and your K3 could then be done at HK ? Maybe you've found a new, fast, path :D

If your interview is in HK, we don't have much of a historical on their handling of issues like this... my gut says that it's not necessary, unless your SO is divorced and the 'ex' has custody of a child.. and then, I'm still not sure I would go to the trouble since HK probably doesn't look at some of these issues the same as GUZ...

Good luck !

158289[/snapback]

Hey,

Well, I filed the I-130 in HK since I have a valid work visa and HK I.D. for Hong Kong. I used to work in Shenzhen, but got a better job in HK so I switched to there and commute everyday from Shenzhen (where we live) to HK, (where I work). So, according to GUZ, I had to file in HK or the US service Center in Texas. I chose HK b/c its closer and many say, faster (the lady in HK at the US consulate office said 30 to 60 days for processing, then they shoot it over directly to GUZ).

Now, since we married in China and she is a resident of the PRC, she HAS to do her interview in GUZ.

Now, since we will have our baby (any day now, boy, she is ready to pop open here) we will take Matthew into GUZ around January and have him naturalized. To do this, all three of us have to be present. So, they'll see us and it is at that time, when we are together, that I was thinking of asking a case-worker to take a look at our case and and give us a status update. Then they've seen us together, they'll have seen us do paperwork together for our child, etc.... I'm hoping this helps with establish a bona-fide relationship. Of course, all that depends on if they note in their files that we were there, etc... and the case-worker who interviews her someday sees the notes.

At any rate, thanks for all your advice and congrats to all of those pushing forward with success and for those still working it, keep a stiff upper lip.

Chad and Tong and Matthew

• 1 month later...
If you're bringing over a child with the SO then she will need his written, notarized consent to allow the child to leave the country.  This is by international treaty to prevent spousal kidnapping.

158148[/snapback]

Not always true Bob. When my wife had her interview all they wanted to see is the custody papers from the divorce. My step-daughter was abandoned by her father when she was two years old. We had no idea how to find my wifes ex husband. No other problems.

Tine

158164[/snapback]

I see, abandonment is a special case. The treay went into effect November, 2004.

158168[/snapback]

Whoa, hold on there sparky...

The kid is mine! All mine... the divorce of the ex was 8 years ago.... my child is 5 weeks old now and I have been with my wife fo 2 years straight.... so let's see.. I give her the right to bring with us our child ;)

Hamlett22