One more question

Guest ShaQuaNew
How do I call the Consulate in the context of the letter while I have no idea of the gender?

155333[/snapback]

It's best not to refer to gender in any official writings. For example:

Dont Use:

"She was very curteous"

Better written:

"The counselor was very curteous"

If you have a specific name or person that you are addressing, then by all means use their name, but at the same time avoid calling attention or assuming gender.

Example:

Gerri Jones

Consular Official

1234 Main Street

In this case Gerri might be a man or a woman, so be careful. If someone has written you previously and used:

Ms. Gerri Jones

Consular Official

1234 Main Street

...then use exactly what they used. Otherwise, keep your wording genderless....

You can avoid injecting gender into your writing by using the Active Voice, or Third Person Imperative.

Refer to people by using their title rather than Gender, e.g.,

"The Counselor requested that I send additional information"

or..."Gerri Jones, Counselor, requested that I send additional information"

Don't Use: "She requested that I send additional information...."

How do I call the Consulate in the context of the letter while I have no idea of the gender?

155333[/snapback]

It's best not to refer to gender in any official writings. For example:

Dont Use:

"She was very curteous"

Better written:

"The counselor was very curteous"

If you have a specific name or person that you are addressing, then by all means use their name, but at the same time avoid calling attention or assuming gender.

Example:

Gerri Jones

Consular Official

1234 Main Street

In this case Gerri might be a man or a woman, so be careful. If someone has written you previously and used:

Ms. Gerri Jones

Consular Official

1234 Main Street

...then use exactly what they used. Otherwise, keep your wording genderless....

You can avoid injecting gender into your writing by using the Active Voice, or Third Person Imperative.

Refer to people by using their title rather than Gender, e.g.,

"The Counselor requested that I send additional information"

or..."Gerri Jones, Counselor, requested that I send additional information"

Don't Use: "She requested that I send additional information...."

155336[/snapback]

Thanks,

I mean in the middle of the letter, how do I refer to or call the consulate? Could I say, ".....may Consular Official understand my situation.... " or ".... may consulate understand......"

I got confused, counselor=consulate??

Thanks all of you!

Guest ShaQuaNew
I mean in the middle of the letter, how do I refer to or call the consulate? Could I say, ".....may  Consular Official understand my situation.... " or ".... may consulate understand......"

Thanks all of you!

155341[/snapback]

I will try my best to clarify without confusing you. I do think Warpedbored had a good idea for you to type your letter and post it here, making sure you omit sensitive personal information like your name, address, etc.

But, regarding proper addressing:

"I do hope the Consulate understands" is proper if you're referring to the entire organization.

"I do hope the Conselor understands" is proper if you are referring to that person"

Okay, here's the deal....

The reason it's so important that you address that letter properly at the top, is because that is the person that will be reading the letter. If you've properly addressed it, then in the body of the letter it's considered widely appropriate to refer to them either using their title the same you used at the top of the letter, or using "You"

For example,

"I am providing YOU more information"

This is second person, and if you choose to use it, I think it a good idea. It avoids injecting gender. I mispoke on my previous post about third person. Use rather second person, or you, when referring to the reader...

I mean in the middle of the letter, how do I refer to or call the consulate? Could I say, ".....may  Consular Official understand my situation.... " or ".... may consulate understand......"

Thanks all of you!

155341[/snapback]

I will try my best to clarify without confusing you. I do think Warpedbored had a good idea for you to type your letter and post it here, making sure you omit sensitive personal information like your name, address, etc.

"I do hope the Consulate understands" is proper if you're referring to the entire organization.

"I do hope the Conselor understands" is proper if you are referring to that person"

The reason it's so important that you address that letter properly at the top, is because that is the person that will be reading the letter. If you've properly addressed it, then in the body of the letter it's considered widely appropriate to refer to them either using their title the same you used at the top of the letter, or using "You"

For example,

This is second person, and if you choose to use it, I think it a good idea. It avoids injecting gender. I mispoke on my previous post about third person. Use rather second person, or you, when referring to the reader...

155346[/snapback]

Thanks,

I valued all your opinions.

Can I use consul instead of conselor and consulate?

Thanks all of you!

155341[/snapback]

For example,

155346[/snapback]

Thanks,

I valued all your opinions.

Can I use consul instead of conselor and consulate?

155355[/snapback]

I wouldn't, Consul insinuates the Consul General who is in charge of the consulate. Use Consulate when referring to the place and consular official when referring to one of the visa officers.

Guest ShaQuaNew

155333[/snapback]

Thank you all for providing me with valuable information

155367[/snapback]

You are really getting way too hung up on how you should be referring to a person within the body of the letter. Keep in mind that you're writing this letter to a Government entity, rather than addressing a friend or colleague. Or, a formal letter versus informal.

When I write a letter such as the one you are proposing, I can envision writing it in it's entirety without the need to address a Consular, Consulate, Jane, Dick, John, or Mary. The reason for this is that you are presenting information to a larger group, a beauracracy.

Use phrases like

1. "during my last meeting I was told that I failed to provide sufficient evidence of regular telephone calls between"

2. "The purpose of this letter is to.....

3. "The following is a listing of the dates, times, and people that bear witness to my relationship and telephone calls."

I can see that you are a little stuck and attempting to work your way through it. Composing such a letter can be frustrating, even for someone that does it everyday. So, again, consider posting it here for us to help, or send it to one of us in a personal message....

Jesse

155333[/snapback]

Thank you all for providing me with valuable information

155367[/snapback]

You are really getting way too hung up on how you should be referring to a person within the body of the letter. Keep in mind that you're writing this letter to a Government entity, rather than addressing a friend or colleague. Or, a formal letter versus informal.

When I write a letter such as the one you are proposing, I can envision writing it in it's entirety without the need to address a Consular, Consulate, Jane, Dick, John, or Mary. The reason for this is that you are presenting information to a larger group, a beauracracy.

Use phrases like

1. "during my last meeting I was told that I failed to provide sufficient evidence of regular telephone calls between"

2. "The purpose of this letter is to.....

3. "The following is a listing of the dates, times, and people that bear witness to my relationship and telephone calls."

I can see that you are a little stuck and attempting to work your way through it. Composing such a letter can be frustrating, even for someone that does it everyday. So, again, consider posting it here for us to help, or send it to one of us in a personal message....

Jesse

155369[/snapback]

Thanks a lot!

I already finished the letter. I did not want to make any mistakes in this important letter, that's why I tried my best to make everything clear before writing.

Thanks for your concern and opinions.