Presenting evidence

What do you guys think is the best way to present the evidence at the interview?

I read on the FAQs (I think) that 1 inch binders and such are not practical because they won't fit through the slot at the interview.

So after looking at all manner of folders, binders, reports covers and the like at Office Depot, I am trying to decide. I actually think a good and easy way would be to put the various types of evidence into separate plain manila folders -- one for phone bills, another for Moneygram receipts, a few for e-mails, etc. And then maybe show the photos in little albums like the ones they give you when you get them developed.

What do you think?

Ask your SO as well because it's her that will be taking the evidence docs out. You can use folders of different colors or different color tabs. Write in Chinese, English or both depending on what she is most comfortable reading of what's in there. They also have accordian style file holders with tabs. You can use the small photo albums or get the clear 8 1/2" by 11" refill sheets with pockets. There's no right or wrong way nor is there really a best way. As long as she can pull it out fast and not fumble looking for it, I guess is the best way. Of course don't get anything that won't bend and fit through the slotted window.

My SO took a plastic accordian type folder with all our papers and photos in them along with 3-4 bound books of ICQ messeges,. She arranged the binder in a way that was easy for her to get to the most common asked items.. Letter from your work, I-134 and tax papers, photos, emails/letters/cards. originals were in the back.. The officer only asked to see one paper from her... my letter from work.. You dont want manilla folders where things can fall out if she drops the folder. Her binder was purple too... not clear... purple is her favorite color...

Edited by Steve and Qingqing (see edit history)
My SO took a plastic accordian  type folder with all our papers and photos in them along with 3-4  bound books of ICQ messeges,. She arranged the binder in a way that was easy for her to get to the most common asked items.. Letter from your work, I-134 and tax papers, photos, emails/letters/cards. originals were in the back.. The officer only asked to see one paper from her... my letter from work.. You dont want manilla folders where things can fall out if she drops the folder. Her binder was purple too... not clear... purple is her favorite color...

155066[/snapback]

Yeah, you're right, with manila folders, the stuff could fall out. What kind of accordion folder do you mean?

Businesses sometimes use accordion style files because they can expand if you have more files to put into them and they're portable. The old type was made out of something similar to paper oaktag. If your hands sweat too much the paper will get worn out quickly. They have an elastic band to wrap around it to keep it closed. The newer ones are made of Plastic or cloth. Inside is sectioned off with tabs.

I picked up the fabric type for my SO. It has a zipper to close it instead of an elastic band. It looks more neat carrying it with a bussiness attire. My only complaint with it is that it doesn't have a handle. I labeled each tab with a different colored postit. My SO wrote in chinese what the document is in that section. Once the VO ask for something she'll remember the color code for the document or she can read it off the tab if she's too nervous. The clear plastic 8 1/2" X 11" photo refill sheets are just to be consistent with size of the other documents. I didn't want her to have to dig in to find photos or anything else.

I had narrowed down our evidence to three folders (two extra folders with backup stuff); mainly to reduce the trouble of looking for something... all were about 1/2 inch or less.

1) Photos taped to paper with date and comments as needed; not more than about 15 photos really needed... more in

2) Correspondence; sample of emails over a year; phone log printed, a recent IM example. Whatever was asked for, the entire folder would be given.

3) Financials; I-134, employer letter, taxes, W2. Whatever was asked for, the entire folder would be given.

We created two extra folders which I had my SO write notes on a paper to remind her of what was in each.. since all the folders were clear plastic, these notes were on the front of each one for her to scan...

What do you guys think is the best way to present the evidence at the interview?

Perhaps...

On your knees, forehead touching the ground, dressed in robes of pure white cotton, anointed with fragrant oils and whispering obsequiously "If it may please you sir, I humbly request the blessing of your favor..." ?

I bought a see-thru accordian-style binder and a bunch of manilla tabbed folders. Everything into the folders, organized by topic and date, with Chinese/English labels on the tabs for quick and easy reference. The pictures were mounted on sheets of paper so they would not just spill out when the folder was opened.