Question Concerning...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

I was noticing in the Candle FAQ for Interview Questions that it contained...

MOST FREQUENTLY REQUESTED ITEM:

Most frequent documents requested, in order, during interview:

1. Beneficiary’s passport

2. Petitioner’s passport

3. Pictures

4. I-134 financial statement, tax returns or financial supporting evidence

5. Employment letter

6. Divorce decrees

This surprises me as the requirement listed by DOS lists only that one provide a certificate of death, or certificate of divorce.

Are applicants actually being requested to provide copies of a complete "divorce decree?" This seems out of bounds as one is only required to prove that they are free to marry.

Can someone clarify?

I don't think you need the whole thing just the page where the court stamps it granting the divorce. I doubt they are much interested in who was awarded the contents of the garage. I don't think they ask for these very often They should be included in the petition in the file the VO has to look through before the interview.

Guest ShaQuaNew
I don't think you need the whole thing just the page where the court stamps it granting the divorce.  I doubt they are much interested in who was awarded the contents of the garage.  I don't think they ask for these very often  They should be included in the petition in the file the VO has to look through before the interview.

153399[/snapback]

Thanks Carl, that's what I thought, but the term "divorce decree" means the whole thing with all the little extras about visitation if a child is involved, property settlement, dollars and cents, etc.

Anyone divorced gets a copy of their "divorce decree" in its several pages, but you can also order a certified copy of the "divorce certificate" that contains only the names of the bride and groom, the state, county and date of the divorce.

If indeed all that is required during interview is a divorce certificate rather than a divorce decree, I think it important to change that term in the FAQ so as not to confuse the reader. I and I think all others would prefer keeping the personal information contained in a divorce decree out the the grubby little hands of anyone unless absolutely required.... :toot: :wacko:

Guest ShaQuaNew
so i would suppose it has to be originals?

or does certified copy work

153401[/snapback]

Certified copies of course. They must bear the official stamps of the state where the divorce was granted.

Now, to be clear, copies are acceptable for intial filing, but you must have the certified copies bearing the raised seal, or certified stamp when requested.

so i would suppose it has to be originals?

or does certified copy work

153401[/snapback]

Certified copies of course. They must bear the official stamps of the state where the divorce was granted.

Now, to be clear, copies are acceptable for intial filing, but you must have the certified copies bearing the raised seal, or certified stamp when requested.

153402[/snapback]

even my original divorce papers dont have any raised stamp...

its a bright red stamp that says dade county florida.

Guest ShaQuaNew
even my original divorce papers dont have any raised stamp...

its a bright red stamp that says dade county florida.

153407[/snapback]

Just depends on what state and county issued it. It could be a raised stamp, but I think most often it's an official stamp, in a color other than black....like red, purple, etc.....