last night my SO asked me how much money can she bring back with her to the usa? I'm not sure....What is the limit?

151666[/snapback]

I think as far as the US is concerned you must declare anything in excess of $10,000. I think this is basically for tax purposes. I've seen some limits from China but I can't remember where.

What we are planning to do is for lao po to establish a US bank account when she enters the country and then wire transfer money from her accounts in China to the US. I believe, as an immigrant, this money is free of US taxes ... but you should check.

I guess I would only have here bring something less than $10K. You don't want to complicate the entry. I'd also check my $10K number, that's true for citizens, I'm not sure about people just entering.

You can take $2000USD or $4000USD that is converted by the bank in China here is a link to the Bank of China page concerning the Issuance of Foreign Currency Taking Certificate

There are restrictions on the amount of money a Chinese national may take out of the country in cash. There are a number of threads that discuss this.

Entering the US you are allowed to bring ANY amount, but $10,000 or above requires declaration with US Customs.