Chinese superstitions

The only thing I've ever seen along these lines from lao po is that red is a lucky color.

She does the red thread thing around Chinese New Year and likes to wear red "small pants" although she look great in the black ones too.   :blush:

I class the red thing more as a tradition than a superstition.

151002[/snapback]

Every Chinese New Years, my wife's parents put Spring Couplets on the walls or on the sides of the gate-ways.

http://www.c-c-c.org/chineseculture/festiv...ring%20Couplets

151006[/snapback]

It is said that spring couplets originated from "peach wood charms," door gods painted on wood charms in earlier times. During the Five Dynasties period, Meng Chang inscribed an inspired couplet on a peach slat, beginning a custom which gradually evolved into today's popular custom of pasting up spring couplets.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK guys, certainly very whimsical and funny superstitions that you have all posted.  But, what I am really asking is, are there any superstitions that truly affect hygiene, health or lifestyle.  I suppose that these are touchy subjects and maybe best left unpublished.  But, is this site not a place to share our experiences?  My SO comes from an alien culture to me.  She talks of fortune tellers (even though she jokingly speaks of it) yet, under her facade of joking, I believe there is a culture engrained with old wives tales, folklore and superstititions.  For those who have gone before me....can you honestly tell me if my curiosities are not warranted or are there truly things that I should be aware of?

151053[/snapback]

She probably will find a Chinese fortune teller in LA area when she is here. Her life will be dictated by the fortune teller.

OK guys, certainly very whimsical and funny superstitions that you have all posted.  But, what I am really asking is, are there any superstitions that truly affect hygiene, health or lifestyle.  I suppose that these are touchy subjects and maybe best left unpublished.  But, is this site not a place to share our experiences?  My SO comes from an alien culture to me.  She talks of fortune tellers (even though she jokingly speaks of it) yet, under her facade of joking, I believe there is a culture engrained with old wives tales, folklore and superstititions.  For those who have gone before me....can you honestly tell me if my curiosities are not warranted or are there truly things that I should be aware of?

151053[/snapback]

my girl is very much into karma living

I realize there have been other threads posted about Chinese superstitions. But, after reading Amber's website and her list of superstitions, I wonder if any of you would share your experiences on this. Have there been superstitions that you have had to overcome or retrain your SO? Some of these superstitions have been confirmed by my Chinese friends. And, I wonder if my SO will bring these with her. I traveled to Nanning on dates that were given to her aunt and mother by a fortune teller

Some of these superstitions are from not sleeping with a fan on you to shaving a child's head at 2 years old to grow the hair full to not bathing during a woman's time of the month.

I am just wondering if superstitions are something that I will need to realize, when my SO is with me. Other than the cute and whimsical, are there any superstitions that I will honestly need her to overcome, say for purpose of health, for example?

150776[/snapback]

When I told my SO that I was buying a new house (one way to avoid cleaning the apartment before she arrives :ph34r: ), I was told that I needed to burn wood in the new house when I move and also place $18 in a red envelop under the bed.

I realize there have been other threads posted about Chinese superstitions. But, after reading Amber's website and her list of superstitions, I wonder if any of you would share your experiences on this. Have there been superstitions that you have had to overcome or retrain your SO? Some of these superstitions have been confirmed by my Chinese friends. And, I wonder if my SO will bring these with her. I traveled to Nanning on dates that were given to her aunt and mother by a fortune teller

Some of these superstitions are from not sleeping with a fan on you to shaving a child's head at 2 years old to grow the hair full to not bathing during a woman's time of the month.

I am just wondering if superstitions are something that I will need to realize, when my SO is with me. Other than the cute and whimsical, are there any superstitions that I will honestly need her to overcome, say for purpose of health, for example?

150776[/snapback]

When I told my SO that I was buying a new house (one way to avoid cleaning the apartment before she arrives :ph34r: ), I was told that I needed to burn wood in the new house when I move and also place $18 in a red envelop under the bed.

151262[/snapback]

Very funny!! Hope you have a fireplace! And, just 18 bucks? I know that 8 is considered lucky, but I wonder about the $18 figure. Guess, I may need to try that too. Is your lady a Nanning girl?

150776[/snapback]

151262[/snapback]

Burn wood in the new house? Some Chinese burn play money for the gods.

I am interested to know what superstitions have caused problems for you or your relationship. For example, did any of you know that this is an unlucky year to get married? I thought it was a village or a Guangdong superstition, but my boss from Wuhan rushed his marriage so it occurred before last Spring Festival. This belief caused some definite friction with her family.

Other such instances have caused minor ruffles between us. I see it as superstition. I think those astrological calendars that so many people base their lives on are mass produced for profit only, and if there is some legitimacy to Chinese astrology, it is not reflected in the calendars.

I'm not religious, and not superstitious as far as I know. I am tolerant of other people's beliefs, but so much of this "folk religion" just seems like old wives tales and out-dated traditions. It's hard for me to accept sometimes, especially when it interferes directly with our life (such as wedding dates). Does anybody else have this problem?

I am interested to know what superstitions have caused problems for you or your relationship. For example, did any of you know that this is an unlucky year to get married? I thought it was a village or a Guangdong superstition, but my boss from Wuhan rushed his marriage so it occurred before last Spring Festival. This belief caused some definite friction with her family.

Other such instances have caused minor ruffles between us. I see it as superstition. I think those astrological calendars that so many people base their lives on are mass produced for profit only, and if there is some legitimacy to Chinese astrology, it is not reflected in the calendars.

I'm not religious, and not superstitious as far as I know. I am tolerant of other people's beliefs, but so much of this "folk religion" just seems like old wives tales and out-dated traditions. It's hard for me to accept sometimes, especially when it interferes directly with our life (such as wedding dates). Does anybody else have this problem?

151299[/snapback]

Yes, this is the reason for my post. Your question is exactly what I was interested in hearing, in learning. What do these superstitions cause on our daily life. What do these women bring with them, their fokelore, wives tales, etc that will actually require me to make a decision on whether to ignor it or take some action to put a halt to it.

There seems to be such a infectious theme of scoring some kind of "thingie" here at CFL that it seems to take away from the exchange of true experiences from it's members. I am sure that the site creator started this "thingie thing" to encourage dialoge and exchange, yet it seems to have created a culture of trite and trivia to those who post so often.

Many of us new members are not interested in trite comments. We are sincerely interested in learning about your experiences and what we may face in our life long journey with our SO. It would be wonderful if, instead of trying to post so many yuks to show that you are an active member, but to try to realize that many of us are on early paths and we seek your sincere guidance and advice from the experience that you have before us.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

You are marrying someone from another culture with all the history and belief systems that go with it.

Watch, listen and learn.

You might be amazed at the observations someone outside our culture would make of strange ways and beliefs.

There is a Jewish saying; "In every joke is some truth".

Edited by Dan R (see edit history)
You are marrying someone from another culture with all the history and belief systems that go with it.

Watch, listen and learn.

You might be amazed at the observations someone outside our culture would make of strange ways and beliefs.

There is a Jewish saying; "In every joke is some truth".

151320[/snapback]

Yes, I will certainly, watch, listen and learn....I only ask you for help to understand...

We are all experiencing, learning and discovering. We can help each other with advice but aren't we like the blind men describing the elephant? Each relates his own perception.

"The real mystery of life is not a problem to be solved, it is a reality to be experienced." - J.J. Van der Leeuw 1893-1934, Philosopher

You have plenty of time later to learn from each other. No one has magic answers. Our benefit is in giving each other support more than anything. While some may regard the silly threads about thingies, sheep, goats and etc. as trivia, it helps pass the months of seperation and anxiety waiting for a pronouncement from GUZ when all you want is to start your life together.

Laugh with us and add to the sharing of experiences of dealing with a bureaucratic government process and intercultural relations.

We are all experiencing, learning and discovering. We can help each other with advice but aren't we like the blind men describing the elephant.  Each relates his own perception.

"The real mystery of life is not a problem to be solved, it is a reality to be experienced." - J.J. Van der Leeuw 1893-1934, Philosopher

You have plenty of time later to learn from each other. No one has magic answers. Our benefit is in giving each other support more than anything. While some may regard the silly threads about thingies, sheep, goats and etc. as trivia, it helps pass the months of seperation and anxiety waiting for a pronouncement from GUZ when all you want is to start your life together.

Laugh with us and add to the sharing of experiences of dealing with a bureaucratic government process and intercultural relations.

151330[/snapback]

Yes, you are absolutely 100% correct, Dan. Never once did I expect someone who has not traveled this road completely to provide guidance to me. Those of us who are still awaiting to be united with our SO are, as you say, blind men describing the elephant. Each relates his own perception.

Believe me, I am not such a fuddy duddy that I cannot find humor during these long months of waiting. What I am interested to learn are from those members who are no longer waiting and have their SO with them. When I have a sincere inquiry and I solicit sincere responses from those who have journeyed before me, humor is not what I am seeking. I am seeking honest, straight forward answers. Is it wrong for me to ask for a sincere and honest response from my query? Is it wrong for me to become disillusioned by the many trivial responses from my sincere questions? Is it wrong for me to wonder if there may be many of you who only answer to gain some kind of "thingy" point? Or, is it wrong for me to enter this site and to question what is taking place with this status quo?

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)
We are all experiencing, learning and discovering. We can help each other with advice but aren't we like the blind men describing the elephant.  Each relates his own perception.

151330[/snapback]

Yes, you are absolutely 100% correct, Dan. Never once did I expect someone who has not traveled this road completely to provide guidance to me. Those of us who are still awaiting to be united with our SO are, as you say, blind men describing the elephant. Each relates his own perception.

Believe me, I am not such a fuddy duddy that I cannot find humor during these long months of waiting. What I am interested to learn are from those members who are no longer waiting and have their SO with them. When I have a sincere inquiry and I solicit sincere responses from those who have journeyed before me, humor is not what I am seeking. I am seeking honest, straight forward answers. Is it wrong for me to ask for a sincere and honest response from my query? Is it wrong for me to become disillusioned by the many trivial responses from my sincere questions? Is it wrong for me to wonder if there may be many of you who only answer to gain some kind of "thingy" point? Or, is it wrong for me to enter this site and to question what is taking place with this status quo?

151342[/snapback]

its not about the thingy's

its about being able to voice our thoughts to people who are in the same predicament as ourselves, some of us like to be philosophical some like straight forward nod head on way or another answers... maybe some just lurk most of the time and only wants the comfort of the readings.

:pilot: it does not matter which way you enjoy to drive Candle all that matters is you enjoy driving it.

dont believe him about that thingy thing <_<

:rolleyes: :blink: :cheering:

ALL HAIL FOR THE THINGY's!!!!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

We're all here just waiting for some beaurocrat to allow our new life to come. Some nameless, faceless, beaurocrat operating behind the scenes doing who knows what with the only hint of activity coming every few months in the form of a letter or P3 or P4.

Thingies and cheetos help pass the time, but I don't eat cheetos.

And, no, she doesn't have superstitions, although she gave me a 'good luck' dangle for my car, and plans to bring a large one for the house.

We're all here just waiting for some beaurocrat to allow our new life to come. Some nameless, faceless, beaurocrat operating behind the scenes doing who knows what with the only hint of activity coming every few months in the form of a letter or P3 or P4.

Thingies and cheetos help pass the time, but I don't eat cheetos.

And, no, she doesn't have superstitions, although she gave me a 'good luck' dangle for my car, and plans to bring a large one for the house.

151370[/snapback]

From the Encyclopedia; "Superstition is a set of behaviors that may be faith based, or related to magical thinking, whereby the practitioner believes that the future, or the outcome of certain events, can be influenced by certain of his or her behaviors. An example is the belief that it is bad luck to wear gold and silver together.

Critics argue that superstition is not based on reason, but instead springs from religious feelings that are misdirected or unenlightened, which leads in some cases to rigor in religious opinions or practice, and in other cases to belief in extraordinary events or in charms, omens, and prognostications. Many superstitions can be prompted by misunderstandings of causality or statistics.

Seems to cover about all that is not scientifically proven but may be believed anyway.

(Pronunciation Key)su·per·sti·tion Listen: [ spr-stshn ]

n.

An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome.

a. A belief, practice, or rite irrationally maintained by ignorance of the laws of nature or by faith in magic or chance. b. A fearful or abject state of mind resulting from such ignorance or irrationality. c. Idolatry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English supersticion, from Old French superstition, from Latin superstiti, superstitin-, from superstes, superstit-, standing over; see st- in Indo-European roots.]

If you look at the definition it appears to be directed to a negative conotation of anything contrary to modern western religous or scientific teachings.

Yeh right Randy that is not a supertition. :rolleyes: I think that was one of Newton's laws wasn't it? If you hang a thingie in a car or house it will be safe from destruction. In L.A. I see about as many Chinese thingies as Catholic thingies or Dream Catchers. Oh and then there are the real idolators who just hang a crystal from the rear view mirror. :lol:

Dennis I meant everyone here even the Chinese when I related it to the blind men and the elephant. If you look through the posts our married old timers still have questions and compare notes with each other and disagree on many things except that they are still surprised at times. We gain from their experiences because they have had more time to explore the elephant. We also gain from our female members because they shed light on the female aspects which we males may mistake for being Chinese. Actually isn't Venus further from Mars than China is?

I am sure any questions you have will find many ready to comment. Some of the newbies may even have more Asia experience than the Old Timers. But everyone will simply explain in accordance with their own experiences and background. It amazes me at times how diverse that can be. And it doesn't mean anyone is necessarily wrong.

If you don't mind, this reminds me of a song that illustrates my point.

ARTIST: George and Ira Gershwin

TITLE: It Ain't Necessarily So

Opera: Porgy & Bess

Lyrics and Chords

[Porgy and Bess]

It ain't necessarily so

It ain't necessarily so

De things dat yo' liable to read in de Bible

It ain't necessarily so

/ Am D Am D / Am D Am - / D7 Eb7 D7 Eb7 / B7 E7 Am - /

Li'l David was small but oh my

Li'l David was small but oh my