Living in China

We decided we must both be US citizens for this to work. Travel is easy anywhere you wish to go. And if there is ever any ugliness between our countries we would want to be shipped out together...or face the firing squad together... :D

138443[/snapback]

interesting... I guess I didn't see this angle.

If she is a USC, what justification do you have to 'retire' to china and be allowed to stay? What visa will permit this?

138449[/snapback]

I'm sure others can answer this better than I now. I know you can get permanent residency in China but it involves a very large investment. But I believe you can shuffle in and out occasionally and meet requirements. My SO has some "connections" which may help us. I also think this will be liberalized in the next few years and make it even easier.

138455[/snapback]

Obtaining Permenant Residency is quite easy if your spouse stays a Chinese Citizen.

I hence argue that keeping her citizenship should be the easiest method.

Travel on a Chinese passport keeps getting easier...and many european nations allow you to double. Why not look more into this angle (rg: let her have Chinese/Ireland and you can have USA/Ireland).

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Does anyone know how the Chinese situation will change in the future for this, or is it still all speculation?

I did post a long time ago that obtaining a HK ID was a long, but straight-forward process...has anyone looked into this one more?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be possible for me to reverse myself again without falling into a flip-flop-flap... :excl: After reading about the implications for SS benefits to a non-USC widow in China on the other thread I have now definitely decided that... :excl:?:huh:?:o?:) ...I'm not sure. And that's final...for now... :lol:

140739[/snapback]

I thought of asking you if you were changing sides again... what will she say now to you? :o

140822[/snapback]

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)