Curious if this was a notice from the OF-171 saying to bring this? Wonder if there is any link between the application known to have it and them asking for the original ..

Anyway, if it was submitted to Vermont, it will have long expired it's usefulness anyway... I say yes, get a new, up to date one.

I have emailed GUZ about the I-864 approved AT NVC.

It said that "If you have submitt original I-864 to National Visa Center Ms. Xxxx does not needs prepare a new one. But she should bring your returns of year 2004 if have submitted year of 2003 and 2002 to the NVC".

As the above is a direct quote with broken English- and with me having a better to have and NOT need it attitude (for GUZ purposes) I got a new one notarized at the Shanghai Consulate anyways. acw

I have emailed GUZ about the I-864 approved AT NVC.

It said that "If you have submitt original I-864 to National Visa Center Ms. Xxxx does not needs prepare a new one. But she should bring your returns of year 2004 if have submitted year of 2003 and 2002 to the NVC".

As the above is a direct quote with broken English- and with me having a better to have and NOT need it attitude (for GUZ purposes) I got a new one notarized at the Shanghai Consulate anyways. acw

Did you email GUZ after getting a notice saying you needed to bring an notorized original?

Or you sent the original in and then asked them yourself?

Thanks for all the reponses.

I guess I will get a new one. Her parents who did the I-864 are all now in China and I have copies of their tax returns etc. Only question is, does any one know if they have a notary public in GZ U.S. consulate? I know the citizen services place gives single certificate etc. Can they notarize stuff? Thanks.

Tony: The Consulates will notarize your I-864 (for free). It IS one of the main functions of the Cons. to notarize documents for USC's abroad. BEFORE you go check the specific consulate you will use for their hours of operation of the US CITIZEN SERVICES section (only open a few hours in Shanghai each day). Tony, I am a little confused by HER parents who are in CHINA? doing the I-864.

David: I-864 was previously approved by NVC, the OF-171 has conflicting information. It NEEDS to be re-written- specifies numerous documents to be taken to the medical that they will NOT include in the sealed package and a LOT of other ambiguities. acw

Thanks for all the reponses.

I guess I will get a new one.  Her parents who did the I-864 are all now in China and I have copies of their tax returns etc.  Only question is, does any one know if they have a notary public in GZ U.S. consulate?  I know the citizen services place gives single certificate etc.  Can they notarize stuff?  Thanks.

WHERE CAN I GET PAPERS NOTARIZED IN GUANGZHOU?

[CFL] WHEN IN CHINA GO TO ANY U.S. EMBASSY/CONSULATE WITH YOUR FINACEE. WALK INTO THE EMBASSY/CONSULATE AND ASK TO SEE THE NOTARY THERE. NOTARY SERVICE IS FREE TO U.S CITIZENS. HAVE THE NOTARY PREPARE A STATEMENT SUCH AS

"BEFORE ME APPEARED ON THIS DAY DATE/TIME ETC(WHATEVER EMBASSY YOU ARE AT)MR, SO AND SO OF (YOUR ADDRESS AS EVIDENCED BY YOUR PASSPORT AND MS. SO AND SO AS EVIDIENCED BY HER CHINESE I.D. CARD OR PASSPORT HAVE THEM PUT YOU PASSPORT NUMBER DOWN AND YOUR FIANCEE' I.D. NUMBER DOWN AS PROOF OF YOUR I.D. HAVE THE NOTORY SIGN AND STAMP THIS WITH THE SEAL.THE PAPER THEY USE SHOULD BE THE EMBASSY LETTER HEAD. GET 2 ISSUES THERE FREE IF NOT PAY THE NOTARY FEE EVEN. This notarization is from the U. S. government and not subject to question.

[CFL] IF the notarization is for something required by the government, such as Affidavid of Support, then there should be no charge. At least they didn't charge me at GZ to notarize my I-864.

[CFL] The I-864 was also notarized free for me. The woman told me "this is a free of charge service",

David: I-864 was previously approved by NVC, the OF-171 has conflicting information. It NEEDS to be re-written- specifies numerous documents to be taken to the medical that they will NOT include in the sealed package and a LOT of other ambiguities. acw

As soon as I read this I remember seeing it before , so I want to get it into the FAQ. thanks for the reply !

For Immigration (and I believe federal taxes) it is free. The fee otherwise is STEEP- $30.00 for first page and $20 for EACH additional page. acw

yes.. I have read this in our searches and just don't have the specific comments.. but you sound right on...

You'll have to trust me on this David, I have had many notarizations done here (two I-864's to boot) and I have been charged for two of them. $100 for 4 signatures!!! acw

Thanks again. This is great.

My in-laws are the petitioners and trying to get my sis-inlaw over. They are visiting in China now. Sis-in-law did not want to immigrate with them but went to Europe instead for college and then returned to China on her own. Now she wants to go to the States and hence, the petition and immigration process.

Friend got notice to bring an notarized original of I-864 financial support document. But the original was submitted to Vermont long ago last summer.  Does the petitioner need to get a new one to bring to Guangzhou?

At the interview in the morning wife was asked for a copy of the 2004 taxes ONLY. New I-864 was NOT taken. This was a CR-1 W/ NVC approved I-864 using 2001-2003 tax years. acw