• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this and all the threads related to being a party member, I am still not certain what my wife should do. She has already quit the party. I agree lying is bad, and it will come back and bit me in the ass down the road. At the same time, should I be in contact with GZ to let them know she was a party member, at the risk of her getting denied a visa. Is it possible that she will never be approved becasue of her party membership? I really don't have a clue what to do. Tell them now, or tell them at the interview. The tight rope we walk to get the visa has just gotten smaller, because of her ex-party membership.

Any one have a suggestion?

After reading this and all the threads related to being a party member, I am still not certain what my wife should do.  She has already quit the party.  I agree lying is bad, and it will come back and bit me in the ass down the road.  At the same time, should I be in contact with GZ to let them know she was a party member, at the risk of her getting denied a visa.  Is it possible that she will never be approved becasue of her party membership?  I really don't have a clue what to do.  Tell them now, or tell them at the interview.  The tight rope we walk to get the visa has just gotten smaller, because of her ex-party membership.

Any one have a suggestion?

Have you reviewed the following post:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....6525e365bf78427

See, Communism no problem...

I tend to think to worry less about it than more...

Sometimes, what goes around, comes around..

Fei's family is totally Communist, except for herself ---- all party members..

The potential problem, as I see it, is down the road for anyone who doesn't face this (and get it in writing) ---- prior to the interview...

Immigration law is so clear on this point --- as I recall, it specifically asks if you were a member of the COMMUNIST PARTY!

Sure, it might not come up, but if relations go south between the US and PRC, as they do from time to time ---- not sure that dodging the issue in "happier" times will protect your SO from being deported during the difficult times...

Last difficult time wasn't that long ago ---- remember the downing of the American Spy plane? ---- that incident substantially changed the security at the Consulate in Guangzhou.. things have been much different there since..

I did read that one.  I just wonder when she checks the box yes on if she has every been a party member, that it will seal her fate.  I wonder if that person checked yes on that box since they didn't ask anything about the membership.

It may seem glib.. but answer honesty, be prepared for questions.. but don't worry too much...

Tenfootalbino, Like I mentioned, were in the same situation as you in regards to do you tell them now or when your interview comes up IF they question your answers on the forms....Right now im leaning towards NOT asking GUZ right now about this question and just making sure she answers honestly and has a written statement in both english and chinese with her just in case it becomes an issue and that she can explain why she joined verbally as well...We will also have a waiver filled out just in case that becomes an issue.. I do know that if a waiver is required , the fee is 250.00 drawn from an American bank. Im not concerned that she cant get in, more that there might be a delay...but then even that can usually be resolved in time.

I haven't done a full search for the questions, but here are the questions from the GNI-2 (paraphrased):

7. List all organizations or political parites you have been affiliated with sine your 16th birthday.

17?. Ineligible for visa - anyone who was ever affiliated with any totalitarian party....

Seems pretty clear that dropping out of the party just before the interview does not dodge the 'are you now, or have you ever been' question.

The best advise you will ever get about this process is to never, never lie about anything. If you do otherwise, you will always have the fear that it will eventually bite you in the ass.

I generally don't quote myself, but I was just over on britishexpats reading a few topics. One is from a guy from the UK who is married to and been living in the US with his wife. He was denied his AOS and he's now in England unable to return.

Why, you may ask. At the AOS interview they asked if he had ever been arrested in the US. He said no, but he had been arrested for shoplifting. Had he said yes, no big deal but he lied!

Never, never lie to USCIS or anyone connected with the State Department (like GZ). It can and will bite you in the ass.

I wonder if someone might interpret 'arrested' as being ultimately charged with the accused crime.. For example, I could see that if someone is completely cleared of charges, they might infer (in a reverse manner) that the 'arrest' is also cleared (?)

Steve, where do I get a waiver for the interview? I see you siad I can get a waiver and pay $250 fee. Where did you find this information. I will have my wife fill this out as well. I already decided she should write up a letter in english and chinese to explain why she joined and then quit. I agree, that she will check yes on the form and wait to see if they ask question in regards to it. I just want all paperwork with her when she goes for the interview.

Does anyone else have infor on the waiver form?

Thanks to all for your help!

Matt

Steve, where do I get a waiver for the interview?  I see you siad I can get a waiver and pay $250 fee.  Where did you find this information.  I will have my wife fill this out as well.  I already decided she should write up a letter in english and chinese to explain why she joined and then quit.  I agree, that she will check yes on the form and wait to see if they ask question in regards to it.  I just want all paperwork with her when she goes for the interview.

Does anyone else have infor on the waiver form?

Thanks to all for your help!

Matt

Look here for a collection of threads...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....66ce228cdcd2647

particularly look at the "SO Background Check thread"

I haven't done a full search for the questions, but here are the questions from the GNI-2 (paraphrased):

7. List all organizations or political parites you have been affiliated with sine your 16th birthday.

17©. Ineligible for visa - anyone who was ever affiliated with any totalitarian party....

Seems pretty clear that dropping out of the party just before the interview does not dodge the 'are you now, or have you ever been' question.

The best advise you will ever get about this process is to never, never lie about anything. If you do otherwise, you will always have the fear that it will eventually bite you in the ass.

It's interesting, though I guess not surprising, that the DS-230 and GNI-2 wording is different.

The former just asking if you are [currently] a member... the latter, if you are, or ever have been...

The former is a DOS form (last updated in 2004) and the latter is a GUZ form (last updated in 1990?) ?

I did read that one.  I just wonder when she checks the box yes on if she has every been a party member, that it will seal her fate.  I wonder if that person checked yes on that box since they didn't ask anything about the membership.

I don't know how to be any more clear than I have in past posts, but just to make sure:

YES! Of course!

In the morning, your SO turns in her forms and signs the GNI-2 in front of a VO (generally not the same person as the afternoon interviewer). My SO checked "yes" and signed the GNI-2 and specifically brought up the waiver issue with the morning VO. He said to prepare a statement, as I have described in previous threads. We prepared it over lunch but she was never asked for it in her afternoon interview. Her interview was with a very pretty young woman of mixed race (half chinese, half white).

We did everything we could to bring up the issue as soon as we could and as many times as we could. I don't see how we could have been more up front about it. We practically beat them over the head with it.

My guess is that CP membership is not an issue UNLESS your SO was in the army and/or likes to drive tanks over students.

There was one thread David gave a link for in which a CFL member had a problem with his wife, who had quit the CP 6 years before applying. They were delayed two weeks and got the VISA, according to someone here. My guess is that anyone who joined the CP after China joined the World Trade Organization (2002?) is not going to have a problem. If your SO was a member of the CP around the time of Tienamen Square, they may want to check him or her out a little more. If your SO ran over someone with a tank, he or she may be denied the VISA.

Not sure If I agree with your reasons for staying a Party Member.. First of all, By not quitting I would think that sends a signal that you approve of the Party

No, not quitting sends a signal that you really do need it for your job, you aren't just making that up as an excuse.

In any case, as Don has pointed out, quitting buys you nothing. There is an extra waiver available if you quit more than five years ago, but your SO won't be available for that.

One of the threads David linked talks about the couple where the lady had quit 6 years before the interview and still got a blue slip. They were delayed a couple of weeks and then got approved. My guess is that they had to take a little extra time to check the license plate of her tank.

Not sure If I agree with your reasons for staying a Party Member.. First of all, By not quitting I would think that sends a signal that you approve of the Party

No, not quitting sends a signal that you really do need it for your job, you aren't just making that up as an excuse.

In any case, as Don has pointed out, quitting buys you nothing. There is an extra waiver available if you quit more than five years ago, but your SO won't be available for that.

One of the threads David linked talks about the couple where the lady had quit 6 years before the interview and still got a blue slip. They were delayed a couple of weeks and then got approved. My guess is that they had to take a little extra time to check the license plate of her tank.

If one quits the job, wouldn't you recommend them to also quit the party (regardless of the order) ?

If one quits the job, wouldn't you recommend them to also quit the party (regardless of the order) ?

I would quit the job first, then quit the party if you can do it without getting in a lot of trouble.

My wife's hoo-koo was controlled by her job. We were concerned if she quit her job, what would happen to her hoo-koo? Would we have trouble getting certificates? Would other people be affected if she quit the party, such as the person who recommended her for the job? We had more heads to consider than our own.

There are lots of individual factors that control whether or not quitting is even an option. In my wife's case, it wasn't.

My recommendation is, rock the boat as little as possible. The US govt has the waiver in the immigration laws precisely because they realize that some people are in a very delicate situation. If they didn't understand the problem, the waiver wouldn't exist.

I would not count on the Chinese government to be quite so understanding.