Different last name

Hey anyone have experiance with this one.

I have a friend traveling with his girlfriend but her green card is her ex-husband's last name and her passport is her birth sur name (Japanese).

My understanding is when she comes back to the US she will need to fill out the I-94 using her green card name.

Will there be a problem at immigration with two documents having two different names?

Please advise.

Thanks all.

No. As long as she has her green card she will be ok. Her passport will have an AOS stamp inside from when she had the interview. When Bing and I came back from Canada they didn't even look at her passport. They only wanted to see her green card.

Will there be a problem at immigration with two documents having two different names?

Carl is right, there shouldn't be a problem. However, if the immigration officer questions the difference, she should be prepared to explain it. One of the easiest ways is as Carl says, based on the AOS/temporary I-551 stamp in the passport. This stamp should show the A# which would match the A# on the green card, and the pictures on both the passport and the green card should be close enough in appearance so that there shouldn't be a problem with identity.

If she has changed her legal name back from her old married name, she probably would be well advised to file for a replacement green card showing her legal name.