double checking the first steps.

I'm an american citizen who has worked in China for over a year. I was recently married to a Chinese citizen and wish for her to get a visa. I plan on residing in China for at least one more year. Can anyone tell me the first steps I need to take , and what is the fastest route to recieve a visa for my wife? :P

If you have resident status in China I would recommend filing an I-130 application directly with your regional US Embassy/consulate. It is nicknamed "DCF" (Direct Consulate Filing) around here and at visa journey.com. Search DCF and you might get some ideas of the process. Sure some DCF'ers will pipe in.

If you plan to stay in China for one year timing it to suit might be tricky.

Good Luck! acw

You are lucky to be there because you can file directly at the embassy or consulate. That's fastest way to get visa for your wife through Direct Consular Filing (DCF). The first filing is I-130 and check embassy/consulate to find out where to file. The I-130 will get your wife a CR1 visa. (CR1 if married for less than 2 years, and IR1 if already married 2 years or more).

Since you will be in China for at least another year, you should only petition for the CR1 visa and see how it progress in six months. Your wife should get it in 6 months. But once she gets it, she needs to enter US within 6 months of issuance. If it appears the CR1 processing is stuck (not progressing), then you can consider filing I-129F for K3 visa.

CR1 visa is a temporary green card and your wife can work as soon as she enters US. K3 visa doesn't allow employment and you need to file adjustment to get green card. CR1 is much better than K3.

Fred

People here are right. Go for CR1 Direct Consulate Filing when you work in China. You have to have a working Z visa and foreign residence card to file I-130 petition in china. That is what we did too. We are now waiting for Package 3 now. If you go for DCF, it will just take at most nine months for your wife to get a visa. It is much much faster than filing from the States. Good luck!