SSN: Fiancee already has one

My Fiancee passed her interview last week with flying colors (post about successful interview got deleted in database corruption.) My question is in reference to the fact that my Fiancee obtained an SSN (and driver's license) while previously in the USA getting a Bachelor's degree. Questions:

1. Will we have to apply for a new SSN?

2. If not, will we have to get her last name changed after the marriage for the SSN?

Next questions...We will be moving for my job out of the DORA (Dallas Rapid Adjustment Pilot) jurisdiction to Va. We will be temporarily living aka. hotel/apartment until a house is found and ready to be moved in to. Obviously we want to take advantage of the 90 day AOS vs the 14 months - 2 yrs AOS through Chicago. It will probably take a couple of months to sell the house and officially move. Questions part II:

3. Where would our primary residence be as according to Dallas?

4. Could we use a post office box in Dallas in order to keep my primary residence until the AOS is completed?

5. If no post office box, could we just put a neighbor's address on the paperwork knowing that my house will be sold in the next couple of months and still be eligible for DORA?

As for moving, we have no choice. What we are trying to avoid at all costs is a transfer of paperwork from Dallas to Chicago because of a change of address but would like to remain DORA eligible.

Thank you in advance!

SSN are life long no need to apply you lucky dog. That means in a state requiring SSN for a driver's license she is already qualified.

If they will accept a P.O. box for residence, do you have someone who will check it at least once a week? I would be surprised if they would allow a P.O. Box as residence althtough mailing address should be ok. Anyone ever do that?

I would go with the neighbors address. Check with the postman. Some districts wont leave mail that is addressed to a person they don't know is living there. I have had that happen. Putting the name on the mail box takes care of that.

Great news on the SSN! Thanks! Also she already has a TX driver's license.

As for the change of address, I was thinking using my neighbor's address might be the best way to go as they would be checking their mail daily. Also, it should not be a problem for me and/or my Fiancee' the fly back to Dallas for needed appointments, interviews, etc.

Just a couple of points about the AOS. I'd say it depends on how technical you want to be with compliance. Two things will likely impact your decision. The first is the I-865 which is supposed to be filed to notify USCIS of a change in address if the I-864 sponsor moves. This form is filed with the Service Center, which I presume would be VSC in your case if you move to VA. You probably ought to be consistent. In other words, if you move to VA and file the I-865 with VSC, how would it look if you had your AOS pending in Dallas? The other form is the AR-11 which should be filed by your wife within 10 days of a change in address. This form is filed with BCIS in Kentucky (I think). Again, consistency may be an issue.

Some might conclude that would be appropriate to wait until you are permanently settled in VA (permanent address) before filing the change of address forms. If that's the case, it might also be appropriate to continue to use your current address for AOS purposes. If you change your current address to one still within the TSC service area, you've got to think about consistency with the change of address forms.

As far as the SSN questions, once a SSN is issued, it is her's for life. It will not change, nor will she need to do anything as far as SSN is concerned.

After you marry, a name change on her SSN card depends on what she will be using for her last name. If she takes yours, then it would be a good idea to change her name on SSN to match. She wants all of her US issued ID to have the same name - green card, driver's license, etc.

I have been wondering about the effects of a name change. If my SO takes my last name what is the impact concerning her Chinese passport? :greenblob:

I sure would think twice before you do what you are thinking about doing. I do believe that you also need to send in an address change to the INS. How are you going to explain in your AOS interview your tax returns when you filed in a different state?? You also need to do some research on the Info Pass, yes people are getting interviews in 3 or 4 months but after 8 months or so are still waiting for their GC's... The bottom line in the government’s eyes is what else you have lied about if they catch you not filing in the proper area that you live. I would think that they would have no problem in denying the AOS and imposing a 10 year ban on your wife if you get caught . She is here now and from what I have read it took a while to get her here, why take a chance on trying to save a few months or so.