what happens on the trip home?

I have dreamed of that time.  

Here is what to do.  Stay in the line with your SO.  Depending on the POE, they will look for USC's.  If the USC line is not busy, they will pull you and your SO out, and take them there.  I recommend this, do NOT leave her in line by herself.  Stay with her.  I did that years ago with my Philipina wife, and we always got good and quick treatment.

Good advice. Stay with her. When my wife came to USA two years ago , she flew into JFK with her grandma and cousin. Her grandma and cousin came out of custom in 1 hour. (they had green cards already). My wife was all alone in custom. One of the custom officer took her Chinese passport and he misplaced it. It took her 3 hours to come out of custom (last one to come out). She got out of custom at midnight. Everyone waiting was so tired that night.

Nicole and I came through LAX end of April, China Southern flight from Guangzhou. This makes a difference because you come into a different terminal and go through a different immigration area than the other flights which arrive at Bradley.

When we came in we talked to the immigration "traffic director" and she pointed us to two booths on the left hand side of the room. Immigration officer there took her paperwork, went into his booth and typed on the computer a bit. Came back out and gave her a letter saying her green card would arrive in 6 months and the stamp in her passport made the visa a temporary I-155. Also she would have to go to SS office to apply her SS card.

3 weeks later she had her green card and ss card in hand, happy camper. Come to think of it, I don't remember them "checking me in" as we stayed together the whole time.

Bob