Air Ticket for Kid

Just need some info from veteran travelers here. Do I need to buy an airline ticket for my child if she is under two? My friend mentioned to me that she doesn't need one until she is two years old. All she needs is just her passport and visa. Is that correct? Thanks for your responses ahead!

You should also contact the airlines.

-----------------------------------------------

http://www.flights.com/faq.html#17

Traveling with Children

What services are offered for children traveling alone?

Tickets for children under the age of 16 who are travelling alone are not bookable on this site. For minors under 18, please contact the airline directly to determine what requirements and fees are involved.

Do I have to pay full fare for an infant?

An infant is a child under two years of age not occupying a seat. Once children reach their second birthday, they must have a seat. One infant is permitted to travel free on US domestic flights for each passenger paying an adult fare. Each additional child under 2 years of age accompanying the same adult passenger will pay the applicable accompanied child's fare whether or not they are occupying a seat. Please contact the airline directly for additional information.

What are International travel restrictions for children?

In an effort to prevent international child abduction, many governments have initiated procedures at entry and exit points, including requiring documentary evidence of relationship and permission of the parent(s) or legal guardian not present for the child’s travel. Parents of minor children (under 18 years old) should carefully document legal custody prior to traveling. If a minor child is traveling with only one parent, the absent parent should provide notarized consent. If only one parent has legal custody, that parent should be prepared to provide such evidence to airlines and authorities. In cases in which a minor child is traveling alone or in someone else’s company, both parents (and the sole, documented custodial parent) should provide notarized consent. If a child traveling has a different last name from the mother and/or father, the parents should be prepared to provide evidence to airlines and authorities, such as a birth certificate or adoption decree, to prove that they are indeed the parents.

Yes contact the airlines !! If you elect to not get a ticket, remember child does not get a seat. Think about size of you child and length of flight. Do not assume the seat next to you will be empty. If you are able to get a bulkhead seat when you book ticket, there will be extra room where your child could sleep on floor in front of you.

Were you thinking of domestic or international flight ?

Ed and Ying,

Domestic and international. I am planning to take my wife and daugher (will be 1 year old) back to China for a short visit. At first I thought about letting my wife and daughter go back by themselves due to my work schedule. Now I employer is letting me take two weeks off in July, so I will be accompanying them.

Base on what I have read so far, I need to call the airlines for my child's airfare and accomodation, and I should find out which one will provide them before ordering the tickets. Buying tickets through the airline cost a lot more than from the website such as Flychina.com, but there it doesn't mention anything about ticket for children under two.

I'll get a notorized consent letter just in case my wife wants to stay longer with our daughter. Thank you Tony for that info!

Amanada

Having you child on lap/arms for domestic flight is probably not too bad, but may be a pain on a flight to China. The bulkhead or exit row seats ( the ones with extra room) are great if you can get them.

I not sure it is a given you will get better deal with site like flychina. One advantage of dealing with airline or travel agent is that you can discuss your situation, options, seat assignments. etc before you buy the tickets. It will cost you nothing to talk to the airlines, in most case you can hold a reservation for a few days while you make final decisons.

I might be able to help a bit more if I knew your depature/arrival cities. I fly all of the USA and world as part of my job

Ed and Ying,

We are planning to leave on July 15 from FAT and depart from Nanning on Agust 3. As of now, flychina website gave me a qoute of around $1240 for roundtrip. I am still in the process of getting the U.S passport for my daughter.

Flychina advertises that they can get the Chinese visa for us by mail for around $100. It would cost me almost the same for driving there and hotel cost. I wonder if anyone here had tried their service and would you recommend it.