Communism no problem!

Guest fhtb

After preparing in every conceivable way, the interviewer did not even ask my fiance anything about communism. We had contacted the consulate weeks in advance and they suggested she fly out to guangzhou just to fill out a waiver form and pay a $150 application fee. We asked for more information (including what form to fill out and did we need an appointment to turn it in) but naturally, they never responded. So my fiance never flew out to start the waiver process. We went there thinking that we would probably be delayed a couple of weeks. Or at least, we were mentally and emotionally prepared for it.

In the morning "turn in your stuff" session, my fiance asked the clerk about getting a waiver and he said it was not necessary but that she should fill out a statement saying when and why she joined, did she sympathize with party views, etc. We created this wonderful statement over lunch about how she was a student protestor during the Tienamen Square incident and realized that to work for change, she needed to work from the inside. She believed in freedom for all people, the free-market economy, etc. But it didn't matter because THEY NEVER ASKED FOR IT and we got the VISA two days later anyway.

To people waiting in line whose SO is a commie, I hope this is reassuring. We thought it was a bit weird how they kept saying something was necessary but then it turned out to be necessary, but in the end, we are very happy about how it turned out.

My fiance will post more later about the interview, which was with a "very pretty" mixed-race young woman who mostly asked her about my visits to China and my ability to support her, my birth day, and a couple of other common questions. The entire interview was about five minutes long.

Oh, by the way, Squid was there and his fiance passed too! :)

One more thing: we got in line at 6:05 am. There were two lines, one for non-immigrant VISAs (business and tourist, etc) and one for immigrant VISAs. We were told to wait in the immigrant VISA line (even though technically a K1 is a non-immigrant VISA, it is handled by the immigration unit). Squid was about 20 people behind us. They started letting people wait in the consulate at 7am. Squid and I waited outside until his fiance came out at 10am. My fiance did not get out until 11:45am - one of the very last ones. We have no idea why. The order they call people in seems to be completely random. Certainly, there doesn't seem to be any benefit whatsoever to getting there early!

After we got the pink slip, we went to Shenzhen for a day to stay with her parents. We took the bus there and the train back. Both were very pleasant but I would say take the train.

That's all I have time to write for now, but good luck to everybody and thanks to CandleForLove for all the support and information along the way.

- fhtb

congrats and great info for those in similar situation!!:)

As for the arrival time, it is true that getting there early does nothing for your 'interview place in line'... You'll get assigned a number once inside... the recommendations appear to be to get there by 7:30am is fine..

Congratulations. I'

m glad it went so well for you. Now you can relax. I doubt they have much time to pour over the cases before interview. I guess it is just a matter of whether or not anything sets red flags (no pun intended) going for the VO. Anyway I'm glad it went so easy.

Guest fhtb
My SO has the same problem--membership in the CP.  How did you answer the related question on the GNI-2 form?

We checked the "totalitarian party" box and wrote "member of communist party of china."

Thanks to everyone for their congratulations. :rolleyes:

congradulations!! and I was wondering why your SO just didnt quit the party before the interview. The question on part 2 that she signs in front of them, simply asks ARE YOU a member...had she quit before, the answer would be no... and Im wondering if she will need that waiver when she files for the AOS because the I-485 form asks if youve ever been a member or affiliated with.....Im thinking thats when they will insist on the wavier.

Guest fhtb

Are you talking about Part 2 of the DS-230? That's not used anymore.

Check out the GNI-2, where the wording is "are now, or at any time have been" ! That's what has to be filled out at the interview. So quitting wouldn't do any good for that.

In any case, quitting wasn't a real possibility for us. She needed to be a member for her job.

- fhtb