Fiancee doesn't have a birth certificate

Hello,

This was lost in the upgrade crash, and there was a couple good replies in there, and i hadn't written everything down, so i thought i'd ask again!

My fiancee was born in 1978, and not in a hospital, so she has no birth certificate. Someone mentioned there is a notarial birth certificate that can be acquired.

Does anyone know more info on it? Especially important is that my fiancee is in Australia and will not be able to pick any of this up. What is the normal procedure that her family will have to do to do this as well as the police certificate?

My fiancee was thinking that her parents could pick up the local police report and birth certificate locally where they live (in Guizhou), but that they would have to send it to a friend or other familiy member in a major city (like Guangzhou or Shanghai) to get it notarized and translated? How many pages should the police report be? (she got one a year or so ago that was very small and didn't seem like much of an official document).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure her family knows what they should do and that they get the correct documents before sending it to her in Australia.

Thanks very much!

I've read that the police report is a smaller form than a 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. I don't know this for a fact. My SO is still waiting for the police certificate. They said that they will send someone to her address to check out the information she provided on the application. If the parents can get the birth certificate and police report then there's less your fiancee will have to do. It will be best to be able to find a notary who can translate in Guizhou if at all possible. I believe your fiancee needs to sign these translations as well as the never married statement in China. I don't think parents and friends can do everything for her. I can be wrong but I think that if she's applying for the visa she has to go back to sign and notarize these documents. Gz will certify the translations from the local notary where she lives in China. Will GZ accept and certify the translations and notary in Australia? I don't know. Maybe our other members have experience in notarizing in Guizhou.

Thanks for the feedback.

actually we are doing a DCF in Australia, so she doesn't need the "never married" document.

I sure hope that she doesn't need to go back to China to sign these documents, because she won't be able to take a trip back for this, and that would mean we would be out of luck on even attempting the DCF.

I hope someone with experience in this can offer some advice! Basically all we need is the police certificate and birth certificate, but she is unable to retrieve and sign for these (and notarize and translate them) in China. If it means we cannot proceed with the I-130 and the interview without these, then we will have to completely change our plans soon :wacko:

Ying is from the countryside, she gets her papers from a town much, much smaller than Guizhou. It was really no problem, they knew what to do, could provide the English translations. I would think a family member should be able to get these for her.

The only thing Ying had to sign was statement that she was not married and local office made statement they had no record of marriage.

Stamp, translate you are done. Your next step should be having her relative try to get the documents, they are are not free - fees vary region/city

thanks for the response. that is good to know! i'll see what my fiancee's sister can do for her.

i guess i'm just a little worried, because i have no idea how to tell if something is the correct document, and whether it's notarized and translated properly. the whole thing seems kinda gray to me! like can anyone translate it? or is there some official translation place?

thanks for the response.  that is good to know!  i'll see what my fiancee's sister can do for her.

i guess i'm just a little worried, because i have no idea how to tell if something is the correct document, and whether it's notarized and translated properly.  the whole thing seems kinda gray to me!  like can anyone translate it?  or is there some official translation place?

Here are some comments on translating and certifying:

[CFL]

The documents needed to be translated from Chinese to English for k-1 are

- Single certificate (good for one year)

- Divorce certificate (if divorced)

- Birth certificate

- Police Certificates (good for one year)

[CFL] Translation certifies as follows: "To whom it may concern, This is to certify that the English translated copy attached of (sic) NOTARIAL CERTIFICATE (2005) **** are in conformity with the Chinese original copy of NOTARIAL CERTIFICATE." Signature, stamp, etc.

[VJ] Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I typed name , certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled .

Signature

Date Typed Name

Address

Don't worry - I did because Ying's town was so small. The documents are coming from the "notarial office", so the stamps, etc are the right ones. If they do the translation, you are also okay. Otherwise See David's post on translations. I did this in Beijing without any problem

I think everything will be fine, it seems vague to us, but from what I have seen this is business as usual in China, and no big deal or worry :) :)

thanks for the reassurance :blush:

i guess i'm just really worried about being turned down at the interview, since we are trying to do this in Australia, and if we get turned down, and her Australian visa expires, i don't even know how we'd proceed (perhaps continue the process in Guangzhou? :( ) But yea, probably the paperwork will go through smoothly and her familiy will get the right stuff :D