The second name check seems to be an area that's especially susceptible to Murphy's Law. While most people here seem to go through that process "normally", there have been a few who have fallen into name check limbo.

The most common problem seems to be name similarities - other people with the same name and/or birth date as your SO. I think this is the situation with mine and my SO's delay. (I Googled her name in both Pinyin and in simplified Hanyu, and got quite a few hits - including someone by the same Pinyin name who was arrested in NY in 1998 for illegal alien smuggling!) I had over 200 hits in Hanyu - beauticians, investment counsellors, real estate agents, chemists, engineers, salesmen from Fujian to Shanghai to Beijing, all with exactly the same name.

As DavidZixuan mentiioned in his post, the nature of your SO's name change is relevant. Just realize that a name change, other than for marriage/divorce, could complicate the name search a bit. It's good that you're aware of this, but there's not a lot you can do until the name check process starts to exceed an expected "normal" time.

If you can tell us a bit more about your SO's name change, maybe we can make a more educated guess about potential problems/delays.

This is an area which seems fraught with the unknown... just hearing of 'two name checks' makes me wonder what their doing.

It is unclear to me the difference in the two name checks and what purpose each serves.

Also, if anyone has put 'other names' into that form, it would be good to hear what time it took and if any delays appear to occur over those who put nothing.

I think the two name checks are at the I-129f stage (US petitioner) and P3/DS-230 stage(China fiancee). So - one name check for each of the two parties involved. The P3 name check on the beneficiary is considered the second name check.

At least, that's my understanding. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the two name checks are at the I-129f stage (US petitioner) and P3/DS-230 stage(China fiancee). So - one name check for each of the two parties involved. The P3 name check on the beneficiary is considered the second name check.

Sorry, zingaro.. just don't follow...

what is the I-129F stage? you mean a name check occurs at the Visa Center?

So that one occurs on the petitioner while in the US center, then the second occurs in GUZ, for the P3-P4 stage...

I have only heard the term 'first and second name check' here.. so that is why I ask.

The last time I talked to DOS (and I only call to for the fun of it), they said the name check is not complete. Yet the email from GUZ said "clearance is complete".

I had assumed it was name check for beneficiary.. so this is 'second name check'...

Hi peeps,

On the biographic forms such as the DS-230. Theres a section where it asks. "ALL Other Names used or aliases".  If my laopo has other names , does this prolong the time period from P3 to P4? Cuz I know the FBI has to do name checks...

Thank you.

Has other names will prolong the name checking process.

Hi peeps,

On the biographic forms such as the DS-230. Theres a section where it asks. "ALL Other Names used or aliases".  If my laopo has other names , does this prolong the time period from P3 to P4? Cuz I know the FBI has to do name checks...

Thank you.

Has other names will prolong the name checking process.

What would you say is the basis for entering 'other names' ... only for previous marriage?

Sorry, zingaro.. just don't follow...

what is the I-129F stage? you mean a name check occurs at the Visa Center?

So that one occurs on the petitioner while in the US center, then the second occurs in GUZ, for the P3-P4 stage...

I have only heard the term 'first and second name check' here.. so that is why I ask.

The last time I talked to DOS (and I only call to for the fun of it), they said the name check is not complete. Yet the email from GUZ said "clearance is complete".

I had assumed it was name check for beneficiary.. so this is 'second name check'...

You must have entirely too much time on your hands if you're calling DOS for the fun of it. :unsure:

Honestly, I'm a bit fuzzy on the actual name check process along iwth most other folks. In one phone conversation I had with DOS, they mentioned both a security check and a name check as more or less separate entities, but couldn't clarify what that meant. Next time I call DOS, I'll ask again for an explanation. I get the idea that there is a security check that occurs within the name check process, possibly involving more than one US agency.

It was also my impression that a "name check" occurs on the petitioner during the I-129f petition. The name check on the beneficiary doesn't actually occur in GZ. DOS told me that GZ requests a name check when they're notified of an approved I-129f petitiion, right around the same time they send out the P3.

Yep, it's pretty murky. I'll try again to get a clear explanation from DOS when I make my next weekly phone call. If I get no joy there, I'll ask my US Senator's immigration assistant to explain it to me. (One advantage of living in California is officials who have some experience with Pacific Rim immigrant issues and procedures.)

You must have entirely too much time on your hands if you're calling DOS for the fun of it. :unsure:

It's just the opposite.

To call someone for fun is to do it at leisure... I don't care about GUZ or DOS responses. I just get an email into their system.. it's a game. Don't take it too seriously.

It's just the opposite.

To call someone for fun is to do it at leisure... I don't care about GUZ or DOS responses. I just get an email into their system.. it's a game. Don't take it too seriously.

He's learning his lessons well. :lol:

Chinese women usually keep the maiden name after marriage. But some people will change their given names before turning 18(for whatever reason), in such cases, it will make the name checking process longer.

ah! I see!! I never considered someone to change their 'given name' ...

But if someone takes on a different given name, won't they always sign anything official with their true given name? SO there are circumstances where a different given name must be 'searched'...