Transparent Folders for Interview

I'm trying to prepare all the documentation to send my fiancee to go in for the interview next month. Is it *required* that the documents I put are in a transparent folder? Can I have them in a regular non-transparent folder? All the documents I have prepared are placed in sheet protectors, and then will place in several folders. If it is required, then I guess will have to do some more shopping.

Anyone got stopped going in with non-transparent folders?

I've heard of people getting stopped, and I was a bit worried when we went for the interview. But we had regular old non-transparent folders and got in no problem. I also saw many other people with a variety of bags, briefcases, etc going in freely. It seems to vary day to day.

I've heard of people getting stopped, and I was a bit worried when we went for the interview.  But we had regular old non-transparent folders and got in no problem.  I also saw many other people with a variety of bags, briefcases, etc going in freely. It seems to vary day to day.

Thx for the info. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a requirement. I guess as long as the guards think it is safe, they will let you in.

I might just put all in a large binder, and she can take out any forms/documents that are requested. It's very easy to do, and you only need to carry one binder rather than multiple folders.

Here is what I have in my FAQ about the paperwork issue. Some feel that the binder is too bulky to handle and not easy to quickly retrieve the item asked for... Even if you don't use the folder approach below, maybe using tabs like below in the binder would suffice.

This assumes there is no prohibition against big binders .. ANYONE ?

Good luck !

--- FAQ ---

HOW SHOULD I PREPARE ALL THE PAPERWORK ?

[CFL]

1. Because there is a glass separating the VO from the applicant with a trough to pass thru paperwork, similar to the teller windows at many U.S. banks. Something rigid like a 1" or larger ring binder will not pass thru.

2. There is only about 5 minutes allotted for each interview. It would take to much time for my SO to find and remove the specific document from the large binder.

[CFL] We have decided to use 9 opaque plastic envelopes.

Each is color coded, labeled, and flexible enough to pass thru the window. Envelope contents:

#1 FORMS: All 797's (originals), Copy of original 129 package, all forms.

#2 SO's Doc?s Translated and notarized Chinese birth, marriage and police docs.

#3 My certified divorce papers from prior marriage.

#4 I-134, tax returns 2002-2004, letters from bank, bank statements 1/2004 to present, ING direct and Emigrant direct statements. Certified company ownership doc's, Certified company profit/loss statement, Certified statement of assets, Real estate purchase documents.

#5 Phone records, letters, Emails, Yahoo Chat, MSN Chat.

#6 Wedding pictures

#7 Pictures with family and friends

#8 All boarding passes and receipts from prior visits.

#9 Video tape of conversation between SO and myself

The big benefit of transparent folders is that the picture of George and Laura signed with the inscription...." Dear XXXXX and XXXXX good luck with your interview. " shows through. :o

Have your SO place it on the counter facing the VO, it's the first thing the VO will see.....:unsure:

Make sure "interview" is mis-spelled, just for credibility and hope the VO is either Republican or recently received a promotion.

Let me know if it works :P B) :D

Disclaimer: I can accept no responsiblity for anyone taking this post seriously. Most Marines are not Bush supporters and use live ammunition!

I wonder about the glass window, isn't it too impersonal and uncomfortable for our SO's to speak to the VO through a glass window? Now I realize that maybe some of the girls who had been issued a blue slip asking for a video conversation was due to the fact that their english is not proficient and had trouble understanding the questions.

I wonder about the glass window, isn't it too impersonal and uncomfortable for our SO's to speak to the VO through a glass window? Now I realize that maybe some of the girls who had been issued a blue slip asking for a video conversation was due to the fact that their english is not proficient and had trouble understanding the questions.

Too impersonal? Frankly, I cannot imagine a chinese lady worrying about this all that much. It is what it is.. If their english is not proficient then they at a handicap already.. There are translators available, but if the VO sent them away, not sure if the frustration of the beneficiary attempting english makes it not good.

I ended up getting this 13 pocket accordian file pocket by Globe Weis. It is one item to carry, and it has 13 diff pockets inside so she can organize all the information. It will be very easy to take out documents and shove through the glass.