going to your SO's hometown

Guest emm7

so, i've been lurking here for a while and i decided to post. my SO hasn't been to her hometown in ages and from what she says, it's not a very good place. ppl there are mean and i hear all kinds of stories.

now, if we get married here or go for a K-1 we still have to go to her hometown for her paperwork. she said that it may take longer than a week for them to give it to her because of their "practices". since they left this small town, i don't think her family really gets along with the townspeople there much...i don't know the whole story.

but anyway, what i wanted to know is...have any of your so had problems with getting paperwork from his/her hometown??? is there any other way??? she told me that she'll probably have to bribe them to give her the paperwork and she'll have to stay there for like a week or something like that. it seems she's kind of scared to go back there.

anyone with similar experiences???

Welcome to CFL.

Can you say money? :D Yep, money greases a lot a skids. Jingwen's hometown is medium sized by Chinese standards, but money still carries a lot a weight. She didn't have any significant problems getting her notarial documents, and getting her passport went without a hitch. Sometimes, using an intermediary keeps things low key.

Jingwen is from Zhanjiang (southern Guangdong). Where is your SO's hometown? Has she transferred her hukuo to where she lives?

If you do the K1 route, the paperwork from her hometown (police record, birth certificate) comes later (When your SO receive the P3). You can start the K1 now without going back to her hometown. If you do the K3 (marriage), then you will need stuff from her hometown.

Guest emm7

don't know how to spell her hometown but it's like 4 hours outside of shanghai. also, what's hukuo and how does one go about getting it transferred???

thanks for the responces!!!