Reentry Permit

Anyone out there with experience filing a reentry permit?

We just filed for my wife, who is in the US now. We have a receipt, check for the application / biometrics is cashed. However, she's scheduled to return to China in a couple weeks, and we have yet to receive the biometrics appointment. She went down to the biometrics office to see if they would take her prints and picture without the appointment and showing the receipt. We thought it worth a try as they accepted my daughter this way for her green card. However, they wouldn't do it this time.

Of course there is no way to call and get things hurried up. We've decided that if they send the appointment before her scheduled flight, then fine, we will adjust to it. If they don't send then, the hell with the green card.

Thoughts appreciated.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

We just filed for my wife, who is in the US now. We have a receipt, check for the application / biometrics is cashed. However, she's scheduled to return to China in a couple weeks, and we have yet to receive the biometrics appointment. She went down to the biometrics office to see if they would take her prints and picture without the appointment and showing the receipt. We thought it worth a try as they accepted my daughter this way for her green card. However, they wouldn't do it this time.

Of course there is no way to call and get things hurried up. We've decided that if they send the appointment before her scheduled flight, then fine, we will adjust to it. If they don't send then, the hell with the green card.

Thoughts appreciated.

This is the I-131, right? Same as for the Advanced Parole?

They say to allow 90 days (for AP), ours took 60.

They don't take biometrics (at least for the AP) - all they need is the picture you send in. I see that it is required for a re-entry permit, though.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Thoughts appreciated.

This is the I-151, right? Same as for the Advanced Parole?

They don't take biometrics (at least for the AP) - all they need is the picture you send in.

No, it's not the I-151, but rather the 1-131, "Application for Travel Document."

Thoughts appreciated.

They don't take biometrics (at least for the AP) - all they need is the picture you send in. I see that it is required for a re-entry permit, though.

I see you edited your post, to state the I-131. Yes, that's correct. Taking biometrics for a Reentry Permit is new.

Thoughts appreciated.

I see you edited your post, to state the I-131. Yes, that's correct. Taking biometrics for a Reentry Permit is new.

Good god ... now they need biometrics for re-entry permit? You have to have approval to enter the country and live and then you have to get approval to leave the country and live.

Good god ... now they need biometrics for re-entry permit? You have to have approval to enter the country and live and then you have to get approval to leave the country and live.

Yes, it's truly a pain. The other issue with the reentry permit is that is MUST BE FILED WHILE YOU'RE IN THE US. Also, you MUST be present in the US to take the biometrics.

After you file and complete the biometrics, you are allowed to leave the US, without affecting the decision. You can have the result mailed to a US address or foreign consulate. Much easier to just have it mailed to a US address and have someone forward it to you when it arrives.

We are trying to do the right thing, but it's very difficult to keep up with the expense of traveling to the US every six months or so. That's why we went for the reentry permit. At this point, we're ready just to chuck and and lose the fee and green card. We have no plans to return to the US anytime soon, and if we do, we'll just go the route that RandyW is; that is, getting a new green card if and when it's needed.

I really didn't want to go this way, but I can see no way around it if they don't / won't schedule biometrics before she leaves in a couple weeks.

They explain in their new instructions that if you leave before biometrics, that you will forfeit the reentry permit. They also explain that "you should file for it well in advance." Well, we didn't even think about it "well" in advance, and just exactly how long is well in advance? Likely 8 months or more I reckon. The cost and burden of doing something like that renders getting it virtually impossible. So, "F-em"

Yes, it's truly a pain. The other issue with the reentry permit is that is MUST BE FILED WHILE YOU'RE IN THE US. Also, you MUST be present in the US to take the biometrics.

After you file and complete the biometrics, you are allowed to leave the US, without affecting the decision. You can have the result mailed to a US address or foreign consulate. Much easier to just have it mailed to a US address and have someone forward it to you when it arrives.

We are trying to do the right thing, but it's very difficult to keep up with the expense of traveling to the US every six months or so. That's why we went for the reentry permit. At this point, we're ready just to chuck and and lose the fee and green card. We have no plans to return to the US anytime soon, and if we do, we'll just go the route that RandyW is; that is, getting a new green card if and when it's needed.

I really didn't want to go this way, but I can see no way around it if they don't / won't schedule biometrics before she leaves in a couple weeks.

They explain in their new instructions that if you leave before biometrics, that you will forfeit the reentry permit. They also explain that "you should file for it well in advance." Well, we didn't even think about it "well" in advance, and just exactly how long is well in advance? Likely 8 months or more I reckon. The cost and burden of doing something like that renders getting it virtually impossible. So, "F-em"

But without the greencard/re-entry permit how will your wife return with you for visits to the US?

But without the greencard/re-entry permit how will your wife return with you for visits to the US?

It's now going on two years since I've been back to the US. Right now, it looks like China will remain our home, for now and after retirement. If she loses her green card due the issue with her reentry permit, she won't have to go back every six months or so just to maintain it. That alone will save us a lot of money.

I need to get back myself for a visit, but have been unable to do it, because of the frequent trips for my wife. There is really no reason for us to go back to the US together. My wife's family is here in China, and our daughter will be completing high school this spring, afterwhich she will stay with us until she begins college.

The choices at that point would be SB-1 returning resident visa, a B-2 visitor's visa for a temporary stay, or to start it all over with an I-130 DCF

The choices at that point would be SB-1 returning resident visa, a B-2 visitor's visa for a temporary stay, or to start it all over with an I-130 DCF

But what are the realistic chances to get a B-2 vistor's visa? Seems to me the same issue with be in play as with trying to get a B-2 visa for your wife while waiting for the inital CR-1/IR-1 approval.

I did not know about the SB-1 returning resident visa. This seems a more likely option.

Thoughts appreciated.

beginning to look like a police state B)

But what are the realistic chances to get a B-2 vistor's visa? Seems to me the same issue with be in play as with trying to get a B-2 visa for your wife while waiting for the inital CR-1/IR-1 approval.

I did not know about the SB-1 returning resident visa. This seems a more likely option.

The B-2 would be for someone (in this case) with an abandoned green card - I'm guessing that may be a more favorable situation.

The SB-1 calls for an explanation of WHY you were unable to return within a reasonable period of time

Permanent resident aliens who are unable to return to the United States within the travel validity period of the Alien Registration Receipt Card, or the Reentry Permit, may apply to the nearest U.S. consular office for a special immigrant Returning Resident (SB-1) visa. To qualify for such status aliens must show:--

That they were lawful permanent residents when they departed the United States. -- That when they departed they intended to return to the United States and have maintained this intent: -- That they are returning from a temporary visit abroad and, if the stay as protracted, that it was caused by reasons beyond their control and for which they were not responsible; and -- That they are eligible for the immigrant visa in all other respects.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1333.html

The B-2 would be for someone (in this case) with an abandoned green card - I'm guessing that may be a more favorable situation.

The SB-1 calls for an explanation of WHY you were unable to return within a reasonable period of time

Permanent resident aliens who are unable to return to the United States within the travel validity period of the Alien Registration Receipt Card, or the Reentry Permit, may apply to the nearest U.S. consular office for a special immigrant Returning Resident (SB-1) visa. To qualify for such status aliens must show:--

That they were lawful permanent residents when they departed the United States. -- That when they departed they intended to return to the United States and have maintained this intent: -- That they are returning from a temporary visit abroad and, if the stay as protracted, that it was caused by reasons beyond their control and for which they were not responsible; and -- That they are eligible for the immigrant visa in all other respects.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1333.html

If our biometric appointment doesn't show up before next Monday, then my wife will return as planned on Wednesday. As it stands, her green card is solid and good, she just needs to return every six months or so to keep it valid. However, if we miss biometrics, then we have no plan for her to return to the US to get it. After that, if for some unforeseen reason my wife wishes to travel to the US again, then we may go the S1-B route Randy has shown.

It's just too expensive to travel back for a biometrics appointment that may happen at some unforeseen future date. Also, the Reentry permit form has a section requesting the date on which you plan to leave the US. We indicated the exact date. There may be a very slim chance that her appointment to show up this week. There is just no way of knowing for sure.

If our biometric appointment doesn't show up before next Monday, then my wife will return as planned on Wednesday. As it stands, her green card is solid and good, she just needs to return every six months or so to keep it valid. However, if we miss biometrics, then we have no plan for her to return to the US to get it. After that, if for some unforeseen reason my wife wishes to travel to the US again, then we may go the S1-B route Randy has shown.

It's just too expensive to travel back for a biometrics appointment that may happen at some unforeseen future date. Also, the Reentry permit form has a section requesting the date on which you plan to leave the US. We indicated the exact date. There may be a very slim chance that her appointment to show up this week. There is just no way of knowing for sure.

I don't plan on doing ANYTHING to maintain my wife's green card. Of course it's completely valid until our house closes (at which point we have no US residence), and maybe for up to a year after she left, but it's basically a losing battle at some point.

I expect, though, that it would be good for trips to Hong Kong up until the expiration date.