A CR-1 timeline question

Can anyone see a trend towards less than a year time frame (filing the I-130 to interview) for CR-1's in 2009?

I've seen some USA filed CR-1's that took anywhere from 3 to 4 to 6 months to get to the interview.

What are you guys seeing?

Dan and Randy, are you guys seeing any trend from the past normal of 12 to 18 months.

Thanks for anyone's input.

tsap seui

Yes, I do see it trending in this way.

• USCIS has been processing I-130 faster.
  • Name checks are processing faster.
  • NVC has been streamlining their process and taking payments electronically
  • NVC has started transfering the case to GUZ electronically.

Tsap,

My CR/1 was 2 years ago during the height of the backlog, and took 13 months from filing to interview.

Since then NVC has replaced the old mail system with electronic payment reducing time in NVC to 6 weeks or less.

The time from noa1 to noa2 is almost identical no matter how you file, and if your not waiting on a K3 to catch up it is maybe faster.

Once the NVC paperwork takes the slow boat to China (again same delay no matter how you file) the time in China is quicker than other filings because you only have the medical, and interview left to do.

You know I am and always have been a supporter of IR/1, and it is only getting quicker.

If planned properly, there is no reason a IR/1 can not be within a few months of a K1, and is probably already faster than a K3.

The K visas are just a donation to the US government, and slow our spouses down once they get to America.

Just my opinion of course ;)

Tsap,

My CR/1 was 2 years ago during the height of the backlog, and took 13 months from filing to interview.

Since then NVC has replaced the old mail system with electronic payment reducing time in NVC to 6 weeks or less.

The time from noa1 to noa2 is almost identical no matter how you file, and if your not waiting on a K3 to catch up it is maybe faster.

Once the NVC paperwork takes the slow boat to China (again same delay no matter how you file) the time in China is quicker than other filings because you only have the medical, and interview left to do.

You know I am and always have been a supporter of IR/1, and it is only getting quicker.

If planned properly, there is no reason a IR/1 can not be within a few months of a K1, and is probably already faster than a K3.

The K visas are just a donation to the US government, and slow our spouses down once they get to America.

Just my opinion of course ;)

Actually a couple things about K-3.
  • many have noticed a trend at USCIS, when an I-129F is filed for K-3 OPTION, USCIS holds the I-130 process to match it up with the I-129F.
  • USCIS has been approving BOTH I-129F and I-130 on same day.

K-3 was developed as an OPTION when USCIS was taking a year or longer to process I-130. The K-3 allowed spouse to enter the USA and WAIT for I-130 to be approved. Since USCIS has been approving both on same date the reason for the K-3 no longer exists.

The only use I see for K-3 is if a couple wants to get a visa but are not ready to use it or not ready to settle down in the USA, the K-3 allows multiple entries the the USA over a period of 2 years. I have a Canadian do K-3 because they were still in college in Canada and had a year or so before completing school, the K-3 allows visiting USA many times during 2 years and then file to adjust status.

Yes, I do see it trending in this way.

• USCIS has been processing I-130 faster.
  • Name checks are processing faster.
  • NVC has been streamlining their process and taking payments electronically
  • NVC has started transfering the case to GUZ electronically.

Thanks Dan, and Credzba.

It does look like they have put some grease on the CR-1 wheels, both from the USCIS to NVC to GUZ...at least in some cases we're reading, if not all of them in these past few months of 2009 especially.

Credzba, I'm a believer of the IR-1 too...but I admit to getting some itchy feet, especially since the USCIS approved our old K-1 for the second time and sent it back to Guangzhou without even asking me one question or even telling us what the DOS said was the problem the first time. Just re-approved it and sent it back. The only correspondence I got was a new I-797 NOA approval notice. ;)

tsap seui

Credzba, I'm a believer of the IR-1 too...but I admit to getting some itchy feet, especially since the USCIS approved our old K-1 for the second time and sent it back to Guangzhou without even asking me one question or even telling us what the DOS said was the problem the first time. Just re-approved it and sent it back. The only correspondence I got was a new I-797 NOA approval notice. :lol:

One in the hand is worth more than anything else when it comes to visa from GUZ.

With all the plans you have made for China, including your new sons school, coming to America for the 90 days required to get AOS done would be a pia.

Tsap,

Just my opinion of course :lol:

Actually a couple things about K-3.
  • many have noticed a trend at USCIS, when an I-129F is filed for K-3 OPTION, USCIS holds the I-130 process to match it up with the I-129F.
  • USCIS has been approving BOTH I-129F and I-130 on same day.

K-3 was developed as an OPTION when USCIS was taking a year or longer to process I-130. The K-3 allowed spouse to enter the USA and WAIT for I-130 to be approved. Since USCIS has been approving both on same date the reason for the K-3 no longer exists.

The only use I see for K-3 is if a couple wants to get a visa but are not ready to use it or not ready to settle down in the USA, the K-3 allows multiple entries the the USA over a period of 2 years. I have a Canadian do K-3 because they were still in college in Canada and had a year or so before completing school, the K-3 allows visiting USA many times during 2 years and then file to adjust status.

Another purpose would be when getting married in a third country, and not wishing to return to China for an interview. With the K-3, you would never have to go back to China at all

But keep an eye on the processing times. It should be obvious that it's no longer one size fits all

Thanks for the responces guys.

The only reason this even came up is I got to thinking yesterday about how CR-1's (from the states) seem to be traveling through the circuit a bit quicker now. Plus, since we got a (no questions asked of me) re-approval from USCIS on the old K-1, I've got a pocket full of evidence that our first interview should have been pink.

Just food for thought. Guess I'll pay more attention to stateside CR-1 timelines. :huh:

tsap seui