K3 Visa process question

OK I did it---we got Married in Nanchang in JianXi province. Went to her home town (Son yo) had a wacky and wonderful time --Will post pictures and progress soon-Thank you all again!!!!!!!-----

One more time------- anyone ---

After Marrage in China we got 2 Marrage Certificates one for me and one for her. The directions I have say it's a good idea to send in an Original Marrage Certificate. But I'm not sure if thats talking about for my first I-130 packet (I-130 @ G-325A forms). Or when I send in my second Packet (I-129F @ I-797). Or Maybe I'll need to send in a Marrage Certificate both times. I guess reading the forms carefully will tell me.

But I just wondered if anyone had some advice about making copies of the Marrage Certificates and such before I come back to the States (May 2nd) to do all the Paper work. I believe I know one thing---she needs to keep her original Marrage Certificate. Any more advisers out there?

Also Does sending in the I-130 ( petition for Alien relitive) solidify the marrage in the eyes of the U.S.A? Or do we have to also have an offical "legal" marrage in the U.S as well to be recognized as Married in the States?

OK end of dumb questions------------

Thank you again------take care and good luck to all of us

Benjamin and Anna. Ah Nan

First of all...CONGRATULATIONS to you Benjamin and Anna. I hope you will have a long and happy life together.

To answer your questions...you need to go to the local translation office where you are in China and have your marriage certificate translated. You will get a normal letter sized folder with the translation and all required documents when you do this. My advise is to get about 10 copies there. It doesn't cost very much to have this done in China. Your wife should know where to get this done. Bring all the copies back with you to the states. You DO need to send one of those origional translated copies in with the I-130, and again with the I-129 if you go the K-3 route. You will need more copies for adjustment of status later, and many other things after she arrives here. Get the copies now and you won't have to worry about it later. YOu NEVER have to send you little red book to anyone, unless you want to apply for a multiple-entry Chinese visa to go back and visit her, in which case you have to send the red book to the Chinese embassy but they will return it to you with the visa and your passport.

When you marry in China, you are legally married in the eyes of the US government too. You don't need to worry about that. It also enables you to claim her as a dependent on taxes, etc.

Just enjoy your time together while you are there. The coming back and leaving her there is the hardest part. I remember 4 trips to China and the heartbreak of leaving her every time. The good news is that you will eventually be together. Believe me, it is worth every minute of the wait! Good luck to you.

Guest pushbrk
First of all...CONGRATULATIONS to you Benjamin and Anna. I hope you will have a long and happy life together.

To answer your questions...you need to go to the local translation office where you are in China and have your marriage certificate translated. You will get a normal letter sized folder with the translation and all required documents when you do this. My advise is to get about 10 copies there. It doesn't cost very much to have this done in China. Your wife should know where to get this done. Bring all the copies back with you to the states. You DO need to send one of those origional translated copies in with the I-130, and again with the I-129 if you go the K-3 route. You will need more copies for adjustment of status later, and many other things after she arrives here. Get the copies now and you won't have to worry about it later. YOu NEVER have to send you little red book to anyone, unless you want to apply for a multiple-entry Chinese visa to go back and visit her, in which case you have to send the red book to the Chinese embassy but they will return it to you with the visa and your passport.

When you marry in China, you are legally married in the eyes of the US government too. You don't need to worry about that. It also enables you to claim her as a dependent on taxes, etc.

Just enjoy your time together while you are there. The coming back and leaving her there is the hardest part. I remember 4 trips to China and the heartbreak of leaving her every time. The good news is that you will eventually be together. Believe me, it is worth every minute of the wait! Good luck to you.

209155[/snapback]

Congratulations.

I'm going to second this advice except to say that I think three notarial copies is enough. I brought two home with me and left one with her to take to the interview. It will likely not be needed and she can bring it to the USA with her. You can file photocopies of the notarial translations with your I-130 and I-129.

I WOULD get some extra copies of her Notarial birth certificate as there may be several times in the future she'll need this.

If she has been divorced, you'll need notarial copies of her divorce decree. I would get three of those too.

If she has a child or children, the same goes for them. Get notarial birth certificates and custody agreements.

A key principle is that if you need to submit a document to a US agency and it is now in Chinese, get at least three notarial translations of it NOW while you are in China. Sending an untranslated Chinese document in your petitions submissions is a sure way to get them kicked back or an RFE that will cause a major delay.