Hi everyone

My wife had her interview on Jan 3 did not get visa because;

1 We need to have video of us speaking in the language for communicate for five mins. How do I do this with out going to china.

2 They want a statement telling how we mean and how we became married how many times I went to china. copy of passport to show visa entry and where I work in the past five years.

The ownly thing that i'm having trouble with is mading the video I don't know if I can get time from work to go to china right now. Does anyone know what the time is when you reschedule for appointment is it 2 weeks or one month?

Guest ShaQuaNew

Where there is a clear lack of a common language GUZ often requests this. See the following for help as copied from the Interview FAQ on this site...

Q.2.12 Video tape?

A.2.12.1

Tapes are generally only requested as proof as the ability to communicate.

Thus, if the beneficiary speaks poor English, they may ask the Sponsor to send a tape of him or her speaking and writing Chinese.

However, in that case, a tape of the two individuals communicating together is generally accepted, and the USC can generally get out of taking a Crash-Course in Chinese.

If the beneficiary has VERY STRONG English skills, it is very unlikely that they will ask for a tape.

One thing to keep in mind. The interview may be your fiancee's most stressful day of her life. If she had mediocre English skills, they could easily go flying out the window.

Also consider that the two of you have likely gotten accustomed to each of your speaking styles... There are a tremendous variety of English dialects in the world. Can you understand everything that British, Australian, or Indian speakers are saying? What about your favorite auctioneer? Will your fiancee do well if he or she encounters a heavily accented interviewer?

A.2.12.2

I wanted to share the response I received to my GZ inquiry. My congressmen's office fired off a question about video requirements and my interview date. While the GZ Consulate did not give a clue as to the interview date, they did respond to the video question.

Original query sent August 26, 2004.....GZ response dated Sept 13, 2004..

Dear representative xxxxx:

Thank you for your fax of August 26 regarding the fiancée is a application of your constituent (my name here with case ##). Mr (my name) requested your assistance in this matter.

Contrary to the information (my name) has been given, petitioners are not "required" to provide a videotape of the petitioner and beneficiary having a conversation in order to establish a bona fide relationship. During the interview, a question arises as to how the couple communicates if the petitioner speaks little or no Chinese and the applicant speaks little or no English. In such cases the interviewing officer may question the bona fide relationship and request additional evidence regarding the couples ability

to communicate.

If there is a question about how a couple communicate, the officer may ask for a video of the couple interacting and communicating together, but it is not required.

Since (my name) does not speak Chinese and his fiancée does not speak English, I would suggest that he provide his fiancée with some evidence, in whatever for it may be, that she can bring to the interview to show the interviewing officer that she and (my name) can meaningfully communicate.

We hope this information will assist you in responding to your constituent.

it was signed by Acting Chief

xxxxxxxx, Consular section

A.2.12.3

You will have to make an NTSC VHS tape. VCD/DVD won't work. Reason being the only equipment they have is for NTSC VHS. I got this from the mouth of a staffer in the citizen services section who used to work downstairs in Immigration.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 9 July 2005)

Q.2.13 Where can I get a video tape made in Guangzhou?

A.2.13.1

To get a VHS tape made go to the Shamain Hotel (up and across from White Swan) go to the second floor, and through the glass door across from the maid's station. GZPerfect I think is the name.

Anyhow these are nice people, wish we had known about them earlier. They will tape a session for you for RMB500. We taped our own 25 minute session (Yes, it says 5 but we lost track of the time) using my minicam. I took them my minicam, they plugged it into their gear, RMB300 and an hour later we had our VHS tape.

Their phone number is 81215016 in GZ.

A.2.13.2

XYZ was issued a yellow sheet and we had to submit a tape showing us conversing in English. We went to a "service" at the Shamian Hotel (catty corner from the White Swan) and had a 40 min tape done for 500 RMB (steep, but it passed the test).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 9 July 2005)

Q.2.14 What should we do in the video tape?

A.2.14.1

The information officer at GZ put it this way. "you only need to prove you can communicate. This can be done with pencil and paper, electronic translator, whatever as long as it shows the relationship works."

A.2.14.2

On the tape you can speak any language you choose, or a combination. You can also use gesture electronic translators...anything to demonstrate there is communication. My fiancée speaks little English, so the above description gives a good idea of what our tape is like. Oh yes, it should be at least 5 minutes long (mine is 10), unedited, and hands should be in full view at all times. It also helps to have a date on the video and use something like a paper to further prove when video was made...

(Edited 22 July 2005)

Q.2.15 Will the VO accept a video tape during the intervew?

A.1.15.1

The VO told me they very rarely ask for a video and they will not accept a video on the day of the interview even if you have one and they want one. is only if you are returning with a yellow slip will they even consider a video (vhs format).

A.2.15.2

They will not accept it at the interview because it is considered 'overcome evidence'... it's need only arises if the VO asks for it as part of additional evidence for 'communication' reasons.. They usually want to see the petitioner speak some chinese or at least the couple demonstrating the ability to communicate , which can include translators, etc..

Guest pushbrk
Hi everyone

My wife had her interview on Jan 3 did not get visa because;

1 We need to have video of us speaking in the language for communicate for five mins. How do I do this with out going to china.

2 They want a statement telling how we mean and how we became married how many times I went to china. copy of passport to show visa entry and where I work in the past five years.

The ownly thing that i'm having trouble with is mading the video I don't know if I can get time from work to go to china right now. Does anyone know what the time is when you reschedule for appointment is it 2 weeks or one month?

180958[/snapback]

In order to accomplish the overcome, you'll need to "get real" very fast. I would suggest to you that your wife didn't get the visa because (in the mind of the Visa Officer) not enough evidence of a bonafide relationship has been presented.

Of particular concern is the request for your 5 years work history. This information should have been on the required G 325A form. Did you fail to submit this form with your I 129F?

Were you not also requested in a Packet from GUZ to have your wife bring a certified copy of your passport to the interview? Did she not bring it?

Did you fail to submit evidence of travel to China and communication?

If you failed to do all those things, as it appears (from what you have written so far) you did, then the Visa Officer would be justified in requiring them now. The video is probably only being requested because of the absence of the other evidence.

I can't answer about the timing of a rescheduled interview but it's not a one shot deal where you're dead if you can't provide everything within two or four weeks. Let the Consulate know when you can provide the overcome information and schedule a time. There may be a delay but if the evidence is available you are likely to win the overcome.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

It's important to note here that there is NO substitute for being prepared for what you will encouter during the marriage visa process. No one gets a free pass. If you or your partner are weak in any area that is required you MUST do your homework and be prepared.

A blue slip is not the end of the world, but you have to pay attention to what the consulate wants and provide it. You really don't have much choice.

Here's a link that will help explain the "overcome" procedures: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=172436 I haven't been following the overcome process much, so I don't know if there is more recent information out there. While I think you have a fair amount of time to provide the information, my gut tells me that sooner is better than later.

Good luck.

I thought that one had a year to do the overcome.. but Franks advice is best to follow... the sooner the better.

I tend to agree that the video is possibly a scapegoat here and there are other issues which raised a flag to them... Whether insufficient documentation or lack of evidence. Although I cannot imagine your petition would of been approved if the G-325a was missing... and a certified copy of your passport is very common request for overcome to validate the identity of the USCs evidence that is to come.

---

Your wife previously received a K1 P3 by mistake... so I also wonder if this was an early warning that some confusion existed on some forms

Hello

My wife reveiced p-3 K-1 package on sept 28 2005. We file form I130 first and then file 129f after. They send her the wrong form. Guz email her 10/10/2005 and are mailing out k-3 package. does anyone know what is in a k3 package from guz.

Thanks

Mark

159748[/snapback]

---

Many who have done this in the past state that it is not really necessary to talk in chinese in the video, just that the two of you can communicate... but this ASSUMES you make the video with the two of you together...

How comfortable are you with making a video of talking chinese for five minutes ?? Your head and hands must always be visible and it should be continuous video...

If you can't go to China, do your best with the overcome evidence.. if denied again, I'd recommend you find time to go over..

good luck

Having been through this myself The best advice I can give is to bite the bullet, get on the plane and go help your wife in her time of need. There is no other way I can think of to make a video together. Oh I suppose you could try to make a video of the two of you talking on a web cam but I doubt they would accept it. They reused to look at the one my wife had when she got her blue slip. You only get so many turns at bat before they send it back to the USCIS with a recomendation to revoke. Sooner is better. If you have to call in sick and make as fast a trip as you can over there. You really have no choice a this point if you want to be with your wife.

Having been through this myself The best advice I can give is to bite the bullet, get on the plane and go help your wife in her time of need.  There is no other way I can think of to make a video together.  Oh I suppose you could try to make a video of the two of you talking on a web cam but I doubt they would accept it. They reused to look at the one my wife had when she got her blue slip.  You only get so many turns at bat before they send it back to the USCIS with a recomendation to revoke.  Sooner is better.  If you have to call in sick and make as fast a trip as you can over there. You really have no choice a this point if you want to be with your wife.

180997[/snapback]

I agree with Carl. Go there ASAP and make the video.