when is proof of ex's whereabouts needed?

shentaro

I have been reading that blue slips have been issued for needing proof of where the ex husbands of the beneficiaries are. I don't understand the need for this. Under what circumstances is this needed, and what does it prove other than they are still alive? It should be very easy to check with local authorites to see if a divorce paper is legit or not, and what if they don't even know where they are or want to know? I really do not understand this, and I think I speak for everyone else as well.

I have been reading that blue slips have been issued for needing proof of where the ex husbands of the beneficiaries are.  I don't understand the need for this. Under what circumstances is this needed, and what does it prove other than they are still alive? It should be very easy to check with local authorites to see if a divorce paper is legit or not, and what if they don't even know where they are or want to know? I really do not understand this, and I think I speak for everyone else as well.

175535[/snapback]

Dear CFL Members,

This is one piece of additional evidence that an officer might request during the interview. This can help to prove the bona fide nature of the current relationship by proving that the former one is definitely finished.

Sincerely,

IV Unit, U.S. Consulate, Guangzhou, China

I have been reading that blue slips have been issued for needing proof of where the ex husbands of the beneficiaries are.  I don't understand the need for this. Under what circumstances is this needed, and what does it prove other than they are still alive? It should be very easy to check with local authorites to see if a divorce paper is legit or not, and what if they don't even know where they are or want to know? I really do not understand this, and I think I speak for everyone else as well.

175535[/snapback]

Dear CFL Members,

This is one piece of additional evidence that an officer might request during the interview. This can help to prove the bona fide nature of the current relationship by proving that the former one is definitely finished.

Sincerely,

175739[/snapback]

For some reason the logic of this is lost on me, it seems as if the consulate is asking for evidence that may be unattainable by only those with a valid case.

It would seem that those who still have a relationship with a previous spouse could easily provide the requested documentation and thus the fraudulent petitions get approved and only the innocent are penalized.

So how do we prove something like this to your satisfaction?

175535[/snapback]

Dear CFL Members,

Sincerely,

175739[/snapback]

Dear USCONGUZ,

Thank you for this information to help us prepare our SO's for the interview.

I understand the need to prove a bona fide relationship, due to fraud, but I also assume there is some type of timeframe criteria used before asking this question about ex spouse residency proof. For example if the beneficiaries divorce records show a recent divorce, say within one or two years max, then this question would be potentially asked if the VO has any suspicions looking at the case. If the beneficiary divorce records show the divorce is many years prior, this question would not be asked.

In multiple cases that I am aware of, the ex spouse abandoned the wife and child after the divorce and provided no support and never made contact again. In some cases, the ex spouse moved away from the area, so it would be very difficult to find proof of where they reside and IMHO that has no bearing on whether the relationship between the beneficiary and the petitioner is bone fide or not after a certain amount of time has passed... say 4 or 5 years. I have also heard of cases where the ex spouse or their families attempt to extort money from the USC for their cooperation, so it would not be fair and would likely be very hurtful to request the beneficiary for this proof, requiring them to make contact with their ex-spouse unnecessarily.

I agree that this is a fair question for a VO to ask when the information in the case shows a recent divorce, where fraud is more likely, but I do not feel this is a fair question to ask of someone, whose records show have been divorced for 5 or 10 years for example. I hope you understand this and agree that a timeframe criteria should be applied before asking this question. I hope that is already the case and would like to hear your comments on this subject.

Thanks very much for the information and feedback you have provided here so far!! This information is very helpful to all of us and much appreciated!

175535[/snapback]

Dear CFL Members,

Sincerely,

175739[/snapback]

Dear USCONGUZ,

Thank you for this information to help us prepare our SO's for the interview.

I understand the need to prove a bona fide relationship, due to fraud, but I also assume there is some type of timeframe criteria used before asking this question about ex spouse residency proof. For example if the beneficiaries divorce records show a recent divorce, say within one or two years max, then this question would be potentially asked if the VO has any suspicions looking at the case. If the beneficiary divorce records show the divorce is many years prior, this question would not be asked.

In multiple cases that I am aware of, the ex spouse abandoned the wife and child after the divorce and provided no support and never made contact again. In some cases, the ex spouse moved away from the area, so it would be very difficult to find proof of where they reside and IMHO that has no bearing on whether the relationship between the beneficiary and the petitioner is bone fide or not after a certain amount of time has passed... say 4 or 5 years. I have also heard of cases where the ex spouse or their families attempt to extort money from the USC for their cooperation, so it would not be fair and would likely be very hurtful to request the beneficiary for this proof, requiring them to make contact with their ex-spouse unnecessarily.

I agree that this is a fair question for a VO to ask when the information in the case shows a recent divorce, where fraud is more likely, but I do not feel this is a fair question to ask of someone, whose records show have been divorced for 5 or 10 years for example. I hope you understand this and agree that a timeframe criteria should be applied before asking this question. I hope that is already the case and would like to hear your comments on this subject.

Thanks very much for the information and feedback you have provided here so far!! This information is very helpful to all of us and much appreciated!

175917[/snapback]

Although there is no exact timeframe, and circumstances vary from case to case, you're pretty much right on the money.