Interview Procedure at GUZ

Joanne

Interview by itself takes only a few minutes in average, however the applicant has to go through quite a few steps to reach that biggest milestone. ("You" below means the visa applicant)

Step 1 Line up in front of consulate building.

There are two sections, the left hand side is for immigrant visa applicants. It is difficult to predict in which order the security guard let people into the consulate building, and it doesn't matter very much how early you get into the building either.

Step 2 Show security officer appointment letter and passport (bio-info page), receive a number card (the number here means nothing) and follow escalator to 4th floor.

Step 3 Go through first security check, follow escalator to 5th floor.

There are two lines here. The line on the left is for immigrant visa. This is a simple check. At this point you will have to leave behind any food or drinks. If you are in need of a restroom urgently, should find one now. Because there is no restroom beyond this point until you enter the interview hall and it could be over 20 minutes.

Step 4 Show passport and appointment letter again to the guard at the entrance of 5th floor. Hand over your number card. Line up at the hallway for final security check.

Two lines again, immigrant visa on the left. As you are appoaching the front, some consulate worker will come collect your appointment letter. (I think this is for the purpose of pulling out those files for which applicant has arrived the interview hall.)

Step 5 Through final security check. Enter and wait in the interview hall.

If you have a mobile phone with you, it will be kept here and you will be handed a small plastic number plate, so you can get your phone back on your way out after the interview.

Step 6 You name be called, and you are requested to go to certain window. Hand over interview paperwork. Be asked a few questions, sign DS-230 part II and be given a number slip (Keep the slip and memorize this 4 digit number for the whole morning). Some applicant will be given a slip for paying needed application fee.

You will be requested to tear open the envelop sealed by doctors at the hospital. Hand over all the document to this GUZ Chinese employee. If certain document has been left out the envelop or if you want to replace some documents, you may re-arrange now. You will be asked a few questions, most likely related to previous overseas travel experience and your US visa history. The answer will be jotted onto a form. The 4 digit number is your ID from now on. The number sequence has no significance.

Step 6a (For applicants who were give fee slip/invoice) Pay application fee at window#14 (or whichever window you are told to)

Step 7 Name or 4 digit number be called, request to go to window#17 or #18 (window # could change in future), line up, show your number and your passport and appointment letter, get fingerprints scanned.

Step 8 Say Vow together with everyone in the hall.

This can happen anytime before your interview.

Step 9 Your 4 digit number is called. This is your interview!

Take a deep breath, relax and smile to you VO.

Congratulations! If you pass interview, you will be handed a pincky-orange slip with your appointment letter attached to it.

Now you can come out, pick up your mobile phone, and call your SO.

Don't forget to make arrangement for picking up your visa packet and passport through the post office. (You need cash)

-----------------

- I don't see anyone been requested to show X-ray film. Regret to carry it along.

- It seems to be OK using a non-transperant cloth sack for carrying your evidence material.

- There are two small LCD screens in the interview hall. They work together to show the latest 4 digit numbers been called (two numbers on each, with the latest one shown on top of the left hand side LCD).

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

A quick question, please.

I am just starting this whole process, but will be saving your information for future reference. My plan is to fly to Guangzhou to meet my SO (coming from Nanning) for the interview date.

My question is, at what step does the SO go on by herself? Or should I ask, how far along in the process can I accompany my SO for comfort and reassurance?

As I said, I am just starting, and will be adding my timeline shortly.

Thank you.

Mike ;)

Edited by Michael and Manyun (see edit history)

I am just starting this whole process, but will be saving your information for future reference. My plan is to fly to Guangzhou to meet my SO (coming from Nanning) for the interview date.

My question is, at what step does the SO go on by herself? Or should I ask, how far along in the process can I accompany my SO for comfort and reassurance?

Thank you.

Mike  :unsure:

174842[/snapback]

You can only go as far as the fourth floor, where there is a cafe and many USCs wait for their SOs...

Read the FAQs... this will give you comments from past members, answer lots of questions and prepare you better...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11293

Thank you.

Mike  :blink:

174842[/snapback]

You can only go as far as the fourth floor, where there is a cafe and many USCs wait for their SOs...

Read the FAQs... this will give you comments from past members, answer lots of questions and prepare you better...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11293

174860[/snapback]

Thank you

Mike :blink: