K-1/2 Visa app for fiancee & child

I am in Guangzhou with my fiancee. :P Her interview is the 12th. I say that the Consulate will want some documentation that indicates her former husband has relinquished parental rights or has give permission for their child (9 year old daughter) to immigrate to US. She argues that there is no mention of this in the Consulate's request for information...

Who is right?

If it is me, what information will suffice as proof?

Thank you for all of your help...

John Oman

JohnOman@goals.com

:P Welcome Aboard John :P

We had a decleration of custody in her divorce document and also a letter for the childs father giving her permission to bring him to the US.

They had a copy of her divorce and never asked for the letter.

I don't recall ever seeing any specific request for it by any of the agencies, but I would have felt very uncomfortable without it.

Edited by Gene (see edit history)

Like Gene we had the divorce document which stated she had full custody of her daughter. But we did not have a letter from her ex. I was a little concerned, but was afraid he would hold out for some cash if we asked him for a letter. So we took a chance and GZ never asked us for anything. If you think you can get it without any problems I would definitely do so.

I am in Guangzhou with my fiancee.  :lol: Her interview is the 12th. I say that the Consulate will want some documentation that indicates her former husband has relinquished parental rights or has give permission for their child (9 year old daughter) to immigrate to US. She argues that there is no mention of this in the Consulate's request for information...

Who is right?

If it is me, what information will suffice as proof?

Thank you for all of your help...

John Oman

JohnOman@goals.com

159310[/snapback]

give me a call on my cell 469-855-6909

My Lao Po's divorce paper says that the husband has custody of the now 17 year old daughter. Even though he never paid a nickle for support, the daughter hasn't lived with him for the last eight years, and the daughter now has a passport I don't think we could slide through the interview without some paper indicating his consent to emmigrate. As some of you might remember he wants a huge sum of money. We have simply decided to delay our daughter's K2 interview until she is 18, which is the age of consent and therefore permission is not needed.

The latter doesn't apply to you of course, but if the divorce paper awarded custody to the father I think you will need something. Please let us know how this comes out.

Good luck!

Welcome to CFL. This is from http://guangzhou.usconsulate.gov/iv/kvfaq.html :

"What documents should I bring to the visa interview?

...Notarial marital status certificate. If divorced before, previous divorce certificates for each marriage are required. If any child from previous marriage will also apply for visa, a divorce decree showing the child's custody is needed."

Where the divorce decree was silent, others have used sole custody/permission letters from the ex.

The more critical question is how you are going to explain this to your fiancee. :D Good luck.