Filing for AOS

My wife came over on K1, when we get married last month, my wife adapted my last name by changing her last name from Lee to Lee-Sweet, Does this meant I have to file all the AOS related forms with her new last name-"Lee-Sweet", and not her maiden last name-Lee?

I would like to make her last name Lee as her middle name, and her new last name as as Sweet and get rid of the hyphen, is this doable and is this legal? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

:blink:

Guest aosnow
My wife came over on K1, when we get married last month, my wife adapted my last name by changing her last name from Lee to Lee-Sweet, Does this meant I have to file all the AOS related forms with her new last name-"Lee-Sweet", and not her maiden last name-Lee?

I would like to make her last name Lee as her middle name, and her new last name as as Sweet and get rid of the hyphen, is this doable and is this legal?  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

:blink:

150240[/snapback]

at our aos interview we were asked if we wanted the maiden name changed to married name. therefore, you can file with maiden name and change it on paperwork at interview.

I would very strongly suggest that you use the name for your AOS, EAD, that you want permanently on ID, drivers license, etc. We are stuck with Yue's maiden name for now. It is impossible to get ID in Alabama in a name not on an immigration doc (EAD in our case). Also, no SSN, no Driver's License. SS would not give a number without EAD. So we get EAD in her name, SSN in her married name. No DL because the names are not the same. Back to SS. It took about four months to get a state ID in ANY name.

Real ID act recently passes will impose these rules on all States.

You have 3 choices.

your last name

her maiden name

a hyphenated last name (ie Smith-Jones)

Fill out the paper work the way you want her legal name to read. You can try to move her last name to her middle name but the IO may or may not reject it.

I put my last name for her last name on all the AOS forms and dropped her maiden name altogether. On the forms where it asked for "middle name" I put "N/A". Our IO did not give us any chance to ask any questions about such matters during our AOS interview. I have read on this web site several times before that IOs from some other couples AOS interviews have told them they cannot use their wife's maiden name as their middle name but they can only hyphenate it with your last name to use as a hyphenated last name. However, our interpreter, who was Chinese married to an American and came here on a K1 visa later to become a US citizen told us that although she did not use her maiden name as her middle name on the US immigration documents, she has had no trouble using her maiden name as her middle name on all other non-immigration documents, i.e. bank accounts, driver's license, credit card, etc.

Edited by yave20b (see edit history)
I put my last name for her last name on all the AOS forms and dropped her maiden name altogether.  On the forms where it asked for "middle name" I put "N/A".  Our IO did not give us any chance to ask any questions about such matters during our AOS interview. I have read on this web site several times before that IOs from some other couples AOS interviews have told them they cannot use their wife's maiden name as their middle name but they can only hyphenate it with your last name to use as a hyphenated last name.  However, our interpreter, who was Chinese married to an American and came here on a K1 visa later to become a US citizen told us that although she did not use her maiden name as her middle name on the US immigration documents, she has had no trouble using her maiden name as her middle name on all other non-immigration documents, i.e. bank accounts, driver's license, credit card, etc.

150896[/snapback]

That is correct. My wife's drivers licence, social security card and everything else shows her maiden name as her middle name. Although the IO told us she couldn't use her maiden name as her middle name on her green card when it came it shows her middle initial as H the same as her maiden name starts with. I presume it was an oversight after the interveiw but we are not complaining.