I have heard of people going DCF at:

- Beijing

- Shanghai

- Chengdu

- Guangzhou

- Hong Kong (K3 only)

1) Any others that someone actually went through?

2) To do DCF, do you have choice of CR1 or K3 ?

3) Do you submit I-864 (like a CR1 at NVC) somewhere or at interview or when is any finanical affidavit of support submitted or proof provided?

4) All interviews end up at GUZ, right?

5) Anything else on DCF you want to share?

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

3) They don't ask for any financial info until the interview when you must bring the I-864.

4) Yes even though we live right down the street from the Beijing embassy, GuangZhou is the only place in the whole country that does immigrant visas.

5) If you do DCF you are living in China so don't forget you have to prove your domicile in the US. We worried about this a lot and then the VO didn't ask any questions specifically about that, but did ask related questions about what we planned to do in the US. Seems like it's usually not a big deal but something to be aware of.

3) They don't ask for any financial info until the interview when you must bring the I-864.

4) Yes even though we live right down the street from the Beijing embassy, GuangZhou is the only place in the whole country that does immigrant visas.

5) If you do DCF you are living in China so don't forget you have to prove your domicile in the US. We worried about this a lot and then the VO didn't ask any questions specifically about that, but did ask related questions about what we planned to do in the US. Seems like it's usually not a big deal but something to be aware of.

136673[/snapback]

Do you provide the I-864 at morning check-in or during interview is it asked for?

Guest ShaQuaNew
David, there is one Embassy and 4 Consulates on the Mainland- you're missing Shengyang. We're not DCF but all documents including the tax papers were taken in the morning session. I believe this is the case for all family based visas, and also fingerprinting seems stictly an AM thing. Later as the fingerprints are done these additional windows are then opened up for interviews. Figure this will change at the new place though. acw

136681[/snapback]

DCF is a topic that is quite difficult to get solid information about. Most literature and websites go into little detail about it saying yes, it's the fastest way to get the Visa, but not available to all. Is there an inner network that one needs to penetrate? Where does one go to get additional info or find one with personal experience?

You have to DCF at whatever Embassy or Consulate has jurisdiction over the part of China you're living in - e.g., I lived in Wuhan, Hubei, and that's part of the Beijing Embassy jurisdiction.

A map of jurisdictions can be found here:

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/beijing/consulate-map.html

But after you get DHS approval, then your case is forwarded to GUZ, and they handle everything from there, up to the interview and issuing of visa.

Be sure to call the place where you plan to DCF before going there to apply. You need to find out what documents you must bring. This information isn't on the Embassy website, surprise, surprise (at least it wasn't when I did this last November). And even though I called, they forgot to tell me to bring one document - when we travelled to Beijing and applied, they mentioned it. I said I brought what they told me to bring, and they fortunately accepted my application.

And I guess this applies to everyone, but send that P3 checklist off as soon as you get it. Ignore the bit about getting the items before sending it. That's just a misleading instruction from the government trying to get people to waste more time. You won't get your P4 until 5, 6, 7, 8 months later, so you have plenty of time to obtain all of those documents. And if you're doing a CR-1 like I am, and get your I-864 early like I did, it will expire (after 6 months) before they schedule the interview.

Guest ShaQuaNew
And if you're doing a CR-1 like I am, and get your I-864 early like I did, it will expire (after 6 months) before they schedule the interview.

136749[/snapback]

Thank you, but I've seen this information. I chose to file the Finace Visa (K-1). My reason for choosing that method was, and appears to remain that this was the quickest and least resistant path. I've yet to see anything, anywhere that contains statistical and specific information on another path. The one thing that one can see is that the US Consulates in China are keenly aware of the phenomenal increases in Marriage and Fiance Visa applications in the last few years; citing double and triple numbers from the previous years.

Most all of us want to take the quickest and easiest path, but the roads to the destination are not clearly paved or marked and contain a great many diversions. :huh:

As far as DCF, I've not seen any requirement stating that the US citizen must reside in China, although some literature states that it helps. On this topic I'm kinda like the NVC and USCIS....I am posting an RFE on this one... ;)

The one thing that one can see is that the US Consulates in China are keenly aware of the phenomenal increases in Marriage and Fiance Visa applications in the last few years; citing double and triple numbers from the previous years.

Well, I wish the Consulates would put this type of information on their websites, and provide some sort of timeline to let us know roughly how long the process will drag on, that way we can plan our lives accordingly. Based on the little I found on their websites, and what they told me when I applied (6-8 months), it seemed Nov 2004 was fine for applying. Knowing what I know now, I should have applied in Feb 2004.

But of course, they wouldn't think to provide this type of info.

As far as DCF, I've not seen any requirement stating that the US citizen must reside in China, although some literature states that it helps. On this topic I'm kinda like the NVC and USCIS....I am posting an RFE on this one... :huh:

136755[/snapback]

Here is what 9FAM says:

9 FAM 201.1 Location of Petitioner and Beneficiary

a. As a general rule, the petitioner must reside in the consular district

but the residence or even physical presence of the beneficiary is

immaterial. The petitioner must execute the petition in person before the

consular officer.

---

Those on DCFers on CFL have noted the need to be a resident and to have a work permit...

Guest ShaQuaNew
As far as DCF, I've not seen any requirement stating that the US citizen must reside in China, although some literature states that it helps. On this topic I'm kinda like the NVC and USCIS....I am posting an RFE on this one... ;)

136755[/snapback]

Here is what 9FAM says:

9 FAM 201.1 Location of Petitioner and Beneficiary

a. As a general rule, the petitioner must reside in the consular district

but the residence or even physical presence of the beneficiary is

immaterial. The petitioner must execute the petition in person before the

consular officer.

---

Those on DCFers on CFL have noted the need to be a resident and to have a work permit...

136768[/snapback]

Yes, so it seems that the Petitioner----in this case the American Citizen---must uproot and move----at least temporarily----to China and get a job there.

I've seen information posted on various Attorney and other sites that stipulate China as NOT being a country where DCF for the American petitioner is an option. This is clearly not the case because at least of few have been successful.

I guess for most of us though this would not be a viable option, because of our ties and jobs here in the US.

;)

Thank you, but I've seen this information. I chose to file the Finace Visa (K-1). My reason for choosing that method was, and appears to remain that this was the quickest and least resistant path.

I don't consider the K-1 to be quicker than a DCF nor is it easier. AOS, EAD, AP, biometrics etc after arrival. acw

137002[/snapback]

He was implying 'state side' visa filing methods, I am sure.. based on his comments...

if you feel strongly attached via "ties and jobs here in the US"... To go DCF is not a least resistant path.. it means embarking on a significant life change for some.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Thank you, but I've seen this information. I chose to file the Finace Visa (K-1). My reason for choosing that method was, and appears to remain that this was the quickest and least resistant path.

I don't consider the K-1 to be quicker than a DCF nor is it easier. AOS, EAD, AP, biometrics etc after arrival. acw

137002[/snapback]

He was implying 'state side' visa filing methods, I am sure.. based on his comments...

if you feel strongly attached via "ties and jobs here in the US"... To go DCF is not a least resistant path.. it means embarking on a significant life change for some.

137016[/snapback]

It would be real fun if everyone stayed on topic all the time everytime don't you think? :unsure:

Correct David....leaving any country is a monumental undertaking, while I choose to stay here for now, during the K-1 process, who knows. Our first thinking was and remains she coming here with her daughter; like most, we don't like jumping thru all the hoops to make it happen, but by cracky, we're gonna do what it takes...

J & L :ph34r:

Our first thinking was and remains she coming here with her daughter;

138091[/snapback]

You bring up an issue I want to discuss sometime, in another thread of course... :D To figure household size with multiple children or 'child to follow' ... seems it is not straight forward... but might depend on the visa type too.