problem w/ getting doc notarized

in prep for the face-to-face interview, one of the docs we need to have ready is a notarized copy of the intending immigrant's birth certificate. my wife and i live in SH, but she was born in another province. so she asked her parents to get this doc for her. her parents tried to get her birth certificate notarized, but the local notary refuses to do so because:

in that era (early 80's), birth certificates did not show the name of the newborn child. it only showed the parents of the newborn. since my wife's name is not on the birth certificate, the notary refuses to notarized the birth certificate.

what do we do?

Will this help?

In rare cases, a birth certificate may be unobtainable because records have been destroyed or the government will not issue one. In such cases, you should obtain a statement to that effect from the civil registrar¡¯s office and proceed to obtain secondary evidence of birth. A baptismal certificate may be submitted for consideration provided the certificate contains the date and place of the applicant¡¯s birth and information concerning parentage and provided the baptism took place shortly after birth. An officer may also consider a notarized statement, by a close relative, preferably the applicant¡¯s parent, giving the place and date of the applicant¡¯s birth, the names of both parents and the maiden name of the mother. An official authorized to administer oaths of affirmations must execute the statement. In such cases, bring all possible evidence concerning the birth.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/guangzho..._169-May_09.pdf

Will this help?

it doesnt help all that much, at least not if we're going strictly by the quoted passage.

the issue isnt our inability to present my wife's birth certificate. the issue is the notary office wont notarized the birth certificate. at least that's how i interpret it.

You may box yourself into a corner, or you may do the best you can. It's your choice.