Letter Explaining my Divorce

Hi all I have been reading post about some people getting a blue slip asking them to explain why they got a divorce from there past wife. So I thought I would be proactive and take one with me to give to Hui when I am in China. Please take a look at it and see if yuo think I have answered any questions they may have.

Hello my name is Robert H and I am writing this letter incase you have any questions about my previous marriage and why it ended in Divorce.

I was married for 17 years to Gladys H. We seperated in March of 2008 and our Divorce was final in late October of 2008. Our Divorce went as well as any Divorce can and we remain on Friendly terms to this day. We Divorced because we essentialy just grew apart and found we no longer had anything in common other then our children. We would argue about silly little things and both of us grew tired of it. For us Divorce was the best course of action.

Is that ok or should I expand on anything? I can even get my Ex-wife to write up something like it if I need to we are on good terms.

Robert

I guess what I meant to say was that I doubt they are going to question why your previous marriage ended in divorce. It would be ok to have this but certainly do not offer it unless it is asked for.

I would leave out the part about on friendly terms. They seem to be only interested in quick divorces of a short duration and if or not you ever sponsored an immigrant before. You were married for 17 years so I highly doubt they will question this.

Hello,

Well I would like to add my opinion to this thread. On 9/3/09 my fiance had her interview in Guangzhou. I had read just about everything I could on CFL, and thought my kitchen sink was overfull with information. Notarized EOR letter, letter's from my family, Job, and every form of documentation I thought they would ask for. Well I was not prepared for the VO to ask for a letter explaining in detail my marriage and ultimate divorce.

My lao po, was very calm and answered every question the VO asked her (in English ). She thought she would be getting an approval slip, but in fact the VO gave her a blue slip and told her she needed to get a notarized letter from me about me previous marriage and divorce. This is what the blue slip said word for word.....

" Explain in detail your relationship(s) with your ex-spouse(s), explaining how you met; whether you filed an I-130 petition for this spouse; how long you lived together before separating or divorcing (give dates and locations); how many children you had with this ex-spouse and whom these children currently live with; and why you got divorced. "

I have written the letter as they requested above and sent it back to the Consulate. 5 days and counting now. As always have the letter notarized. I hope this will help you and anyone else who are preparing for the interview. As stated in the previous post, they may not even ask for it but it's a good idea to be prepared if they do. I guess it really depends on the VO you get and what his or her mood is that day.

Good Luck

Edited by CaixiaRandyR (see edit history)

part of the problem with bring one to the interview (as opposed to including it with the petition) is that GZ can ask for a few different things. Usually a broadly spelled out letter with the petition captures most of it, but at this point, I would not try to guess to much what they want.

But essentially they *could* ask for any of the following:

PREVIOUS MARRIAGE and/or CURRENT FILING:

1. How you meet / EOR

2. Was any immigration done for past person and explain trips to US prior to the immigration as well

3. why did you divorce

4. where does she live and give everything about her current address and SNN

5. are their children

They can ask the applicable ones to the SO as well.

Normally, even if one is brought and ready to hand over, they don't trust it has what they want to request info on.. so easier to issue the blue and send her on her way.

my Devoice papers gite my wife a blue slip,i dad to prove i was not supporting ,my then grown married children , and my grand-children,and nor was i supporting my stept-daughter, go figure. i lived alone

there's a spell check at the top tool bar :)

By all means make sure Hui knows about your precious marriage including how long you were married, how long you have been divorced and why. They might also ask where your ex lives as well.

Charles?

By all means make sure Hui knows about your precious marriage including how long you were married, how long you have been divorced and why. They might also ask where your ex lives as well.

Charles?

Gah talk about a Typo.......precious marriage ...... I shutter at the thought

Charles?

Gah talk about a Typo.......precious marriage ...... I shutter at the thought

LAWD HAVE MERCY!!!!! :o I was looking at my wife as I wuz typing. B)

Forgive the typo Robert. :unsure: Of course I meant previous. ;)

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

I wrote a very simple and short letter. Just mention dates married and divorced and why we divorced, and that was it. Since I was married twice and they both only lasted less then 7 years (one was 7 years, 7 months and 6 days . . . talk about your 7 year itch, ha ha ha).

I explained it to her if they should ask but had the letter in the back of the kitchen sink if she had to give it to them. They only asked "did you know he was divorced" and she said "yes" and that was all they asked regarding this matter.