This is NOT the old CandleForLove forum

randy w
Site Admin

This is NOT the old CandleForLove forum

Post by randy w »

Dec. 15 CFL Classic is back online!

This email was sent out to most of the members of the old forum who had visited the site since Dec., 2019
I am sending this email to everyone who has visited CFL recently.

CFL crashed back in late August, due to a HostGator server upgrade of their php software. Dan tried to upgrade the IPB board software to correspond, but it failed, probably due to us skipping so many intermediate upgrades. 

We have created a new forum Adv_CFL at index.php. The old CFL accounts do not carry over. To logon to Adv_CFL, you will need to create a new account

The new forum is pretty much empty, but the old database is still intact, and can still possibly be restored. I can read anything in there with SQL commands (that's how I was finally able to get to your email address), but that's fairly tedious.

For now, Adv_CFL only has posts made since Nov. 24.

I'm hoping you can come by and help restore what it was.
Posts and information can be drawn from the old forum as needed, but it is a very tedious process.

We can approach this in one of three ways.

1) Continue with this forum as is.

2) Find an acceptable general conversion of the old forum postings to the new forum format.

3) Resurrect the old forum by repairing and completing the upgrade to the current IPB and Hostgator requirements.

The ideal solution will ultimately be to successfully complete the upgrade of the old forum, but, for now, I will primarily focus on continuing the forum in its present format.
玉林,桂 Yulin, Guangxi resident
Barfus

Re: This is NOT the old CandleForLove forum

Post by Barfus »

I think (3) would be a dream come true. Funny thing is some posts of there from the early 2000s that are still relevant today and fun to read once in a while. It also had that old-school message board feel to it and there was something charming about the graphics, outdated emoticons, etc. that made it a wonderful place to visit.
randy w
Site Admin

Post by randy w »

Yes - I agree. But, for now, I'll stick with the new forum until I get a chance to tinker with the old. As far as I can tell, it should be possible that both would run at the same IP address. But there would be no need for this forum, if the old one is resurrected.
Captain Ewok

Post by Captain Ewok »

randy w wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:59 am Yes - I agree. But, for now, I'll stick with the new forum until I get a chance to tinker with the old. As far as I can tell, it should be possible that both would run at the same IP address. But there would be no need for this forum, if the old one is resurrected.
Hi Randy. There is a chance we can help you get back in your feet. I was a big fan and pitched in to help the founder of this site back in the day. We have our own dedicated server and plenty of experience with IPB. From the look of things you may just need a server with a newer PHP version to upgrade. We could help with both.

Anyhow, shoot me an email at admin at visajourney if you are interested. Happy to help!

-Capt
randy w
Site Admin

Post by randy w »

Captain Ewok wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:37 am
randy w wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:59 am Yes - I agree. But, for now, I'll stick with the new forum until I get a chance to tinker with the old. As far as I can tell, it should be possible that both would run at the same IP address. But there would be no need for this forum, if the old one is resurrected.
Hi Randy. There is a chance we can help you get back in your feet. I was a big fan and pitched in to help the founder of this site back in the day. We have our own dedicated server and plenty of experience with IPB. From the look of things you may just need a server with a newer PHP version to upgrade. We could help with both.

Anyhow, shoot me an email at admin at visajourney if you are interested. Happy to help!

-Capt
I took a quick look around to see what you did. Looks like it was well above either Dan's or my pay grade. Quite a Christmas present indeed. Thanks.

The SQL server is now hooked up in the old forum - we may have it back soon.
randy w
Site Admin

Post by randy w »

CFL Classic is back online!

Both forums will be alive for now, but we expect CFL Classic to take up where it left off.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER IN USE! PLEASE LOG IN TO CFL Classic