Houston Consulate to Re-open? IF . . .

This forum is simply for all things about life in the US after the visa. For both the USC and the Chinese spouse, this is the place to relate, learn and share all things American.<br />
The Stateside forum allows public (read) access. Private topics should be posted in a 'Members Only' forum, such as 'Meetings and Life Together'
randy w
Site Admin

Houston Consulate to Re-open? IF . . .

Post by randy w »

from the SCMP

China-US relations: Beijing could ‘reopen consulate, let journalists back in’
  • Chinese ambassador says it all rests on American policy towards China and whether Washington aims to contain Beijing
  • ‘It’s too early to talk about the schedule for next year,’ envoy says when asked if Biden and Xi will meet

“We did not initiate the closing of the consulate. We were not the first one to ask foreign journalists to leave the country. We did all these things in response to actions taken by the United States,” Cui said at an annual conference held by the Washington-based Institute for China-America Studies.
“So if the US government is ready to reverse the course, we’re ready to look at it,” he said.
玉林,桂 Yulin, Guangxi resident
Back Again

Re: Houston Consulate to Re-open? IF . . .

Post by Back Again »

I hope so, Randy. It is very convenient to have a consulate in Houston.
Barfus

Post by Barfus »

As long as they keep the Chicago consulate open I'm good LOL
randy w
Site Admin

Post by randy w »

The Houston consulate was supposedly closed because it was a haven for hacker activity, especially for access to American coronavirus research. I wouldn't think that we would respond to this overture.
Barfus

Post by Barfus »

So what happens to those that would normally go to the Houston consulate (basically the entire southern area of the US)? Do they now need to go to Washington DC or are they getting reassigned to other consulates? The map on the official Chinese consulate site still hasn't been updated: http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/zmzlljs/t84229.htm
randy w
Site Admin

Post by randy w »

I believe it was said that the Houston consulate's region was assigned to the D.C. embassy.

Yes, I remember looking at a map to see that D.C. is actually CLOSER for Floridians than Houston was.
randy w
Site Admin

Post by randy w »

Here, found it

The Statement of the Chinese Embassy in the United States for Taking Over the Consular Jurisdiction of the Consulate-General in Houston
the Chinese Embassy in the United States will temporarily take over the work of the Consulate-General in Houston, and continue the various services for the people in the consular district.