Personal Statement Question

Hello everybody.

I just have a question, though from reading this site I suspect that I might become a regular over the next year or so as I applied for the my fiancees K1 VISA last month.

The problem is that my financee is regularly visiting the 001 site and she read that as part of the initial application for the K1 VISA I need to include a personal statement. I double checked with an immigration lawyer and the USCIS site and neither indicate that you need it at this stage of the process.

From your experience is it important at this point? The lawyer said it is important later but not just yet and the website does not even mention it.

Thanks,

Ken

I don't recall any need for a personal statement as part of the initial K-1 filing. Your lawyer is right that a personal statement (presumably related to your intent to get married, etc.) will be important when the process continues at the consulate in GZ.

One other thing. You probably already know this, but a lot of the visa processing information on 001 is rumor, hearsay, inaccurate, and unreliable. The problem is convincing your fiancee of this.

Welcome to CFL and good luck.

Welcome to CFL dabizi you would be very smart to continue to visit here on a regular bases. You will find answers to your guestion support for your quest and understanding from those who will share your feelings, frustration and joy.

It is more important to include a personnel statement later during the interviw. It would have been nice to include one with the application but I do not think it will do any harm because you did not. I am sure some one here will be able to give you a definitive answer.

My recommendations over the next year (yes plan on it taking a year or mor) are:

vist your fiancee as much as possible, you have to visit once to file the application (if your job does not allow this or you finances then compose a letter explaining why you can not visit)

Make a video of you together communicating on one of your trips it must be on VHS tape (you can transfer it to VHS if you do not have a VHS recorder)

In addition to emails and phone conversations write as many hand written letters as you can.

Again welcome aboard hope you enjoy the ride

Boba and Meixiang :lol:

Hi,

Welcome to the Guangzhou Consulate Waiting Room underground. Make yourself comfortable and prepare to be like us. I don't mean to scare you but we are your future. Depending on your own upbringing and character you will go looney at a faster or slower rate but looney you will be. You will see your government in a way you never saw it before (unless like me you were already cynical and therefor were not surprised).

:lol:

If you already did the K-1 application then there is nothing to do but wait with us. On the application form

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/f...iles/I-129F.pdf

section 5 and 6 list everything you needed to include. Personal Statement is perhaps the "Letter of Intent" or

B. Provide original statements from you and your

fiancé(e) whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his

or her admission, and copies of any evidence you

wish to submit to establish your mutual intent;

CA 92607-1013.

There is no set form for this but the burden of proof is on us.

If you have done this sit back, relax and enjoy the frustrating wait to anticipated happiness.

Some of us, who are beyond the name calling and animal abuse that you will see posted around but now mostly relegated to the LL forum, have found this time useful for developing enlightenment and following the way of the Blue Thingie. The Way of the Blue Thingie does not ask loyalty or obeyance it only offers peace.

Now inhale deeply and let this resonate through your being.

Ooooooohhhhhmmmmm Bbbbbblllllluuuuueeeeee Tttthhhhiiiiinnnnggggiiiieeee

Oooooohhhhhmmmmm Bbbbbllllluuuuueeeee Ttttthhhhiiiiinnnnggggggiiiieee

Feel the peace, let your mind expand

Certain philosophers, whom I shall not name, on this site can not offer such peace in their advise. The Blue Thingie (which you will gather to you as you post) asks nothing, gives nothing, is nothing.

Again

Oooooohhhhhmmmmm Bbbbbllllluuuuueeeee Tttttthhhhhiiiinnnnggggiiiiieeee

I don't recall any need for a personal statement as part of the initial K-1 filing.  Your lawyer is right that a personal statement (presumably related to your intent to get married, etc.) will be important when the process continues at the consulate in GZ.

I went back and checked my I-129F file and, sure enough, I had included a statement and correspondence showing my intention to marry Jingwen after her arrival in the US.

Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Hi and welcome to CFL!!

Too bad that you didn't discover us before you mailed the 129 !

You should have included a letter of intent to marry.

You will be asked for this further along in the process. While some people suggested making it just a legal style document: I, XYZ, intend to marry JKL within 90 days of her arrival in the US. Signed, XYZ

I would suggest you write this letter in a way that reflects your undying love. You are pleading to a government agency to grant a visa in the name of love - I would make your letter reflect this!

Good luck with the rest of the process.

P.S. Not all of us have gone insane during the long wait!!! :D

While some people suggested making it just a legal style document: I, XYZ, intend to marry JKL within 90 days of her arrival in the US. Signed, XYZ

I would suggest you write this letter in a way that reflects your undying love. You are pleading to a government agency to grant a visa in the name of love - I would make your letter reflect this!

I agree that you should not send it at this point.. wait to see if you get a RFE (Request For Evidence) stating the need for this document.

But I would draft it right away and take care of getting it notorized. This will speed up the turnaround of the RFE.

My 'letter of intent' included both legal style comments, followed by our "love story", and finish with a emphasis of us living a life together in the US...

Here's mine as a sample:

----

Affidavit regarding Marriage

Fiancee Visa Petition of

<<ABC>>, On Behalf of

<<XYZ>>

Being Duly sworn, I, <<ABC>>, declare:

I am the Petitioner named above. I am a citizen of the United States having been born in <<CITY>> , USA on <<DATE>>. I live at <<ADDRESS>>.

It is my intention to marry <<XYZ>> within ninety (90) days of her arrival in the United States.

-- LOVE STORY HERE -- how you meet, give specific dates, how you fell in love.

Since I have arrived back in the USA, we have been in daily communication in email. We are very happy, excited and eager to start a life together in the USA. I am looking forward to marrying <<XYZ>> with in 90 days of her arrival in the U.S. As proof that my fiancée and I have met in person I am enclosing photos of us together.

-- NOTORIZED SECTION HERE --

I think I should share my situation with everybody here, because it sounds like it is different than some of you.

I have lived and worked as a Teacher in Tianjin China for a year now, so we meet every day. That is not a problem at all. We have lots of pictures together, and my parents even came to visit last week to meet her. They loved her, and we got a load of pictures of all four of us together and her with them.

I think proving we have met and have a relationship is going to be quite easy.

I am 30 and she is 23. I don't know if that causes a problem.

Having worked in China I'm worried about proving I have financial means to support her. I make about $1200 a month which means I can live great here but will not get me very far in the states. I'm afraid this will cause problems during the interview. My parents did agree to be "financially responsible" for her so I hope that will take care of that problem.

When I go back to the states I hope to go to graduate school, but I do have a degree in computer science from a major University. I worked as a programmer part time for about 3 years and full time for 2 so I prob could get a job if I had to.

Knowing my situation what can I do to maximize the likelyhood she will get approved?

Age is not an issue.

When are you going back to the states?

Once back in the states (assuming you are not staying the next year), when do you plan to visit her again?

There seems to be three issues that seem to contribute toward a best chance scenario, but there's exceptions to every rule;

1) Proving you have a valid relationship

a. Visitation - Preferably more than just one time over the course of the visa process

b. Communication - established (her english is good and/or you Mandarin is good)

2) Financial support - meets threshold, or you have sponors to help

3) Interview - The SO provides answers or paperwork as needed.

It is at #3 that you'll find out if #1 or #2 are lacking in some way, and either:

a. get the 'dreadful' blue slip... where more evidence is often needed, but also often satisfied in the followup.

b. Otherwise, you get the white slip saying your SO gets the visa.