Luo and Gary's Trip to Guz.

Dear CFLers, We have returned from Guz. last Fri. 4-15 and getting over the jet lag, new abode thing. Luo's interview was last Mon. 4-11 and everything went smooth. Luo speaks a little English and had a translator during interview. The typical 5 or 6 questions. Only paperwork requested to look at was Affidavivit of Support. She met some other ladies in the line and it's just a crap shoot which window and VO you end up with. The 3 girls she met all had success, but 2 other women that were scheduled for the next day, were denied. The one had pictures and looked sincere but couldn't spell or pronounce her fiancee's name. He was not in Guz. We stayed at The Victory Hotel and I would recommend it. Come on folks, $46.00 a night on 8th floor with a nice view. With the trade show, we did go to Shamian Hotel for the last night but it is definitely "lower rent" than Victory. A note on Victory. The main building is actually about a half block from their annex building. We looked at a room there but main building has the views. Medical clinic is less than a block down the street from Victory. Like fools, we went early and there was 1 girl waiting. I was all prepared for a several hour ordeal (reading material and munchies) and she was done in 50 minutes! She went on a Tues. and picked up results on Fri. Interview was on Mon. If you haven't been to Shamian Island everything is within 10 minutes walking time. The Shamian Coffee House( it's a restaurant) has a good menu and everything is about $2 to $4. There are also a couple 7-11's and a neigborhood type store close by for drinks, food etc. We did a tour of The White Swan Hotel also. Folks, we're talking Deluxe! A beautiful waterfall and koi pond in the center of the hotel create a very nice feeling. Oh yeah, aside from not being a very good long distance flyer( I'm getting too old for this!) we sailed through immigration in Minne. ( Luo got sick when landing, so we were actually the last ones because we had to get her cleaned up. Poor Luo.) I sprayed her down with my Drakkar to get her smelling "fresh" again. Anyway, we only waited 15 or 20 minutes to get thru. OK..........I gotta get back to "living" Luo & Gary

Congrats...

Nice post. :D

My wife and I went over and over several questions before her interview. The first was of course how to say my name. :unsure: Kinda questionable when you do not know how how to say your fiancee's name. :o I thought about the Victory, but my SO was all about saving money. I let her choose. It was nice enough.

The one had pictures and looked sincere but couldn't spell or pronounce her fiancee's name.

:P Not a good sign ...

Of course I remember when I applied for my second passport in 1994 being at a post office in Pennsylvania filling out the application, and a woman ahead of me was asked for her husband's name, and she said she couldn't remember. :rolleyes: And she as an American citizen - born and raised in the U.S. from what I could guess from her accent ... Something about them being separated for a while, and she was with a new guy, and hadn't had any contact with her husband for a while and couldn't remember how to spell his name. The girl I went with to fill out the application and I thought it was pretty funny.

Anyway, that's not relevant at all, just reading your post jogged that from my memory.

Congratulations on everything going smoothly with the visa and best of luck to you and your wife for your future together!!!

Glad to hear that things went well, at least in GZ - sorry about the landing in the US.

On the name thing, it's kinda funny. Jingwen, of course, knows my name as well as every else's in the family, but she still has trouble pronouncing it. With an R in my first name and an L in my last name, I am Flank, actually fa-lan-ka. :huh: Lao gong is a lot easier for her to pronounce. :blink:

CFLer's, Just a few more tidbits. If you are flying into the new airport in Guangzhou, you'll probably just grab a cab into town. There is plenty of competition so tell the taxi driver what you'll pay, and no meter. We paid 120 yuan for one trip and 100 yuan when we left. So if you need a cab in town, ask for a price, then lowball them. There is a little deli just west of the White Swan that has some baked goods and a decent ham/egg croissant. There are nice outside tables with umbrellas. I wanted to thank everyone for all the valuable information. Luo & Gary