Getting prescription glasses in China

For people who are living in China now, did anyone get glasses in China? I know you can get them a lot cheaper there but can you see well with them. If you give them a prescription, do they make the lenses like the prescription?

Getting glasses in USA is big bucks ($300 and higher).

Guest wei ting long

very easy and very cheap. they check your eyes for you for free. glasses cost anywhere from ten bucks to 1000 bucks (if you want to buy gucci or armani). have not bought a pair myself but the wife did and they worked fine. a few of my foreign friends did as well and they said it worked fine.

For people who are living in China now, did anyone get glasses in China?  I know you can get them a lot cheaper there but can you see well with them.  If you give them a prescription, do they make the lenses like the prescription?

I bought both glasses ( twice ) and contact lenses. Just great. Very good quality

Contactsare not that cheaper but glasses are. About 30% less than in the US.

Like Owen said, the exam is free too.

For people who are living in China now, did anyone get glasses in China?  I know you can get them a lot cheaper there but can you see well with them.  If you give them a prescription, do they make the lenses like the prescription?

I bought both glasses ( twice ) and contact lenses. Just great. Very good quality

Contactsare not that cheaper but glasses are. About 30% less than in the US.

Like Owen said, the exam is free too.

Huh, now Eric is reading my replies before I post them! :)

The exams are free, but I have not tried it yet. I need to soon, however. I have held off because I use the "blended" or progressive lens so that I don't have the lines that I would have in trifocals. Those can be tricky to get right. I had to return my last pair that were done in the US and get them made over. And that from someone who used to have much better than average vision.

If anyone has had the blended bi or tri-focal in China let me know if you were happy with them.

Thanks, So it is a good idea to get your glasses in China.   :)  I think we should have a list of what other items are a good buy in China.

pretty much everything.

In Dalian it seemed to me that clothes and shoes were not cheaper. Well, they did not have any clothes that would fit me anyway.

Sometimes I think life is better in China. By earning a foreigner's salary in China, you can live very comfortably in China and you don't have to worry about the rat race in the American society. China is also developing and modernizing rapidly, the growth opportunity for China is tremendous in the upcoming years and in the future.

And things are much cheaper over there...glasses, food, living, etc...

It is a toss up. I earn more than most foreign teachers do and I am happy with the way that I live here. But many Americans would and do still find it unacceptable. The apartment that I live in is warm and dry and I have a hot water heater. In US terms it would still be a low rent apartment. It is small by US standards and basically a concrete shell. The plumbing and electrical wiring are dodgy. We literally use the tiny kitchen area as a deep freeze during the winter. We are first floor, but I have know a couple of teachers with sixth floor walk-ups. The power and/or water are typically shut off for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Sometimes all day. It is basically an inner city tenement project. Picture living in the Detroit projects without all the crime.

All of that is just normal life in China. If you can focus on what is really important in life and not on things, you can be happy here. However most Westerners don't last more than one year before they must return to the luxury of America, Canada, England, or Australia. For me it helps that I grew up in the Allegheny Mountains in Pennsylvania. Many of my friends lived no better than people do here now. My own parents didn't stress material things as much as the importantance of family. We lived better than many of my friends, but not extravagantly.

The most important thing is to be able to adjust to the fact that it is China, not America. For an analogy of the problem that most Americans have living here: I have known a number of people who were Amish. I admire them for focusing on the really important things in life and for the fact that they live a lot more lightly on the world than most of us do. However, I will admit that I am spoiled and don't want to give up all the modern world to live like they do. Most Americans are the same about China. They admire many things, but when it comes to living like they do, they just can't quite bring themselves to doing that.

I, too, have been dealing with the issue of needing to buy a new pair of glasses. I bought new frames my first year in China as I dropped my old ones and, duh, proceeded to step on them. :o

The problem down here where I live (Shantou) is that the price of everything is a moving target. Basically, Shanotu is the center of the "Chaoshan" area of China and it is a unique culture with their own language actually. Chaoshan dialect is different from both Mandarin and Cantonese. The words and tones are different.

What does this have to do with buying glasses? Simple. In Shantou there are basically three prices for everything:

Chaoshan Person Price

Other Chinese Price (Twice that of the Chaoshan Price)

Foreign Devil Price (The sky's the limit....) :angry:

The trick is to have a local person buy any higher end ticket item you need. That way, even if you are a foreign devil, you can get it cheaper. However, this is a bit trickier when you are trying to buy glasses. Hard to disguise my round eyes during the exam. :P

So my strategy is to go and buy the glasses but take a local person with me to negotiate the price. This ploy has worked with moderate success in the past.

Of course, when Owen and I complete our movie project and we are both rich and famous, these piddling little trifles won't matter.

B) B) B)

...I have heard girls who are already in the States said the contact lens 10 times more expensive than the price in China.

I will see, if it's really that much expensive, I can ask my families to mail me. :angry: