western union the cheapest way to send $?

This issue comes up periodically, so you could do a search to read about people's preferences. Personally, I used the ATM method - gave Jingwen an ATM card and put money in a separate account that she could access via the Bank of China's ATMs which are not quite as reliable as in the states. The cost was about $1.5 per withdrawal.

Just a side note. Jingwen has been here for more than a year and that account still has money in it, more than my regular account, I might add. Gotta love Chinese frugality.

Many grocery stores have a western union office inside. The price has gone up a little. We sent 700 dollars to Bing's mother about a month ago it now costs 14 dollars. You can opt for the pay out to be in dollars instead of RMB so they can get a better exchange rate at the bank. I have tried the prepaid visa, using my own bank card in Nanning and WU is the most reliable and relatively inexpensive. Many others have had great success with sending their SO a bankcard, I think it depends on where your SO lives and what bank you use. I have had very little success with my Bank card in Nanning. I always end up going inside and using the teller. In one instance using an ATM the machine would not give me money but the bank charged me for it anyway. Had a hell of a time straightening it out.