Hi,

My fiance and I speak in Cantonese. She doesn't really speak much English but as soon as she gets to the U.S. she will learn.

I was suggested to prove that we can communicate with each other. I was planning on making a VHS tape of myself talking in Chinese. Is that good enough and do they even still use VHS in China? Otherwise, is there another ( more effective ) way of proving communication?

Thanks.

I called the consulate and asked about this. They said that it is not required for you to make the VHS tape unless the visa officer requests it. The VO needs to determine is your relationship with your SO is real. You just need to prove that. Lots and lots of pictures with both of you together is more important.

Dont count on pictures. If your fiance' English is weak, it is a good chance they will call you out on this. I would prepare a VHS, just to cover your arse.

My SO's English is very weak but pictures were all she was asked for. From everything I have read only a small percentage have been asked for a tape. Might be a good poll question.

Blue slip interview dates

----------------Interview----Reasons

Mike Xiao-------03/11/05-----Processing Review?

rogerluli-------03/09/05-----Expired marriageability certificate expired

Deekdoken-------02/14/05-----Video/Communications

Quoging---------01/18/05-----More evidence/Wrote letter of support

JPD-------------01/19/05-----Copy of Passport notarized

Leejcandle------01/26/05-----More evidence/Expired single Certificate

Ahhming---------01/27/05-----Communications

maxamilagro-----02/24/05-----More evidence

ChuckandShuping-02/16/05-----More evidence/3rd party corresspondence problem

Alex------------12/03/04-----Communications/Divorce/3rd party corresspondence problem

trvldog---------11/12/04-----Video/More evidence

LoPaoJai--------01/19/05-----Video/More evidence

james&baolan----10/19/04-----Communications

warpbored-------04/13/04-----Video

jkobman---------08/16/04-----Video

tywy_99---------10/24/03-----Original divorce papers

Blue slip interview dates

----------------Interview----Reasons

rogerluli---------03/09/05-----Expired marriageability certificate expired

Deekdoken-------02/14/05-----Video/Communications

Quoging---------01/18/05-----More evidence/Wrote letter of support

JPD-------------01/19/05-----Copy of Passport notarized

Leejcandle------01/26/05-----More evidence/Expired single Certificate

Ahhming---------01/27/05-----Communications

maxamilagro-----02/24/05-----More evidence

ChuckandShuping-02/16/05-----More evidence/3rd party corresspondence problem

Alex------------12/03/04-----Communications/Divorce/3rd party corresspondence problem

trvldog---------11/12/04-----Video/More evidence

LoPaoJai--------01/19/05-----Video/More evidence

james&baolan----10/19/04-----Communications

warpbored-------04/13/04-----Video

jkobman---------08/16/04-----Video

tywy_99---------10/24/03-----Original divorce papers

So only 5 videos required going back to 10/2003 ?

Thats all I have found, collected while doing stats. There might be more, but it seems to have started with warpbored, which was less than a year ago. If  you know of more, let me know and I will add to my list.

Great job on the stats ! It just seems to me that they wouldn't have the time to be asking every other woman with poor English skills to produce a video.

But like almost everything else, what we don't know about what they are doing inside the hallowed halls of GUZ would fill many books.

these stats represent only CFL members who have had to provide a VHS? Just wondering how often it really happens. I talked with 2 attorneys who are familiar with the great GUZ, and the first thing they said was " let me guess - they ask you to make a VHS of yourself speaking chinese?". If I had a second chance, I would have prepared our case with a tape. Maybe it would have helped, maybe not. It never hurts to prepare yourself.