Fingerprinting at Guangzhou

Thanks for the replies, Carl, Jim.

I don't get to the GZ website too often when I stumbled across the fingerprint procedure. Things are always changing in this system. It's hard to stay abreast.

I was wondering about it because I never really seen any who have recently gotten the visa mention it, although, Jim, I think you've mentioned it in a post not too long ago concerning fingerprints.

I didn't realize it was mandatory now.

Okay, good ppl. Keep fighting the good fight, and keep getting those visas!..... :)

I was just reading an interesting article concerning the new fingerprint procedure at the U.S. embassies and consulates. Below is an excerpt from it:

At the time of the visa interview, applicants will be asked to electronically scan the index (second) finger of each hand. The scanned fingerprint data collected at time of visa application will be compared with fingerprint scans at the U.S. port of entry to prevent the use of U.S. visas by imposters and by those wanted for more serious offenses.

This is a worldwide program and has already been implemented in more than 150 U.S. Consular sections around the world. This program is not targeted at any country or region. All United States visa issuing posts will be collecting fingerprint data by October 26, 2004, complementing the U.S.-VISIT program in which nearly all visitors to the United States, including those from countries eligible for the visa waiver program, have their fingerprints and photograph taken at the airport on arrival in the U.S.

What gets me is how it is said that it "compliments" the US-VISIT program.

Wasn't this the program that made it harder and more costly for some to get visas to China? Seems like I remember this, particularly since I paid 5 times more to get a visa to China than I did the first time.