I told my wife, Luckybabe, about the new rule concerning luggage here in the U.S., and she asked that I post it here.

As of Jan 1st, the American govt is telling people not to lock their suitcases. I do not like that because of the possible theft issue, but apparently they may damage the bag more if they have to break open any locks. As I told my wife about this (to not lock her bag when she comes here next month), she asked me to post this here because some of our chinese fiancees or wives don't know about this.

If you have anything real valuable, put it in your carry-on bag.

Also, be careful if you take food items here. They are pretty strict on that in the San Fran customs. They ask you first, and then sometimes let you go or make you stand in the line to have your bags checked. Be honest, but it's easier to just avoid the whole thing by having none.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My Godness!!! don't lock the suitcase? ... maybe I should lock it and paint big words there 'I am innocent!' lol :o

thanks for the post Taoistpanda, and thanks to your wife too! :rolleyes:

I go sleep now, your guys have a good day! :rolleyes:

Are you sure this applies to people entering the US? As it is a USA rule, I am not sure China is going to enforce it. Are they checking for explosives in China? She should be able to unlock it while waiting in the Customs line here so it will be unlocked for her connecting flight. If the suitcase has a place for padlocks some people are putting wire ties there because then they can be opened by the inspectors without hurting the bag and you will know if they have been opened. Some bags with combination locks may be a problem. Perhaps they should get set to open at 000 and left unlocked for the connecting flight. It also may be a good idea to put a strap around any hardsided bag to keep it from poping open if you do have it unlocked.

Don't forget to carry the brown envelope and passport in a carry on.

From a LAX<->GUZ itinerary:

I came into LAX from Guangzhou last week, and my suitcase was locked with one of those mini-padlocks made for luggage.

With regards to this no-lock concept, I believe it applies when you are leaving the U.S. When I was at LAX flying to China, I was told by the "luggage police" to unlock my suitcase and they checked the contents. And they locked it back for me.

When I arrived in Guangzhou (my suitcase arrived 1 day later), I was called by the airport that they needed to open my bag because they noticed some "suspicious" items when they ran my bag through security, which were really bottled juice. So I gave them my lock combo to open my bag.

When I left Guangzhou for LAX, my luggage went through security, and within 30 feet there was a checkpoint where every passenger had to pay 15 RMB per luggage to get their luggage bounded with those yellow "passed-security" strips (I'm not sure if this is mandatory, I saw some passengers who didn't get their luggage bounded), then passengers checked in at the counters, then after check-in, you go up the one escalator that leads to the waiting room upstairs.

When I arrived at LAX and went through customs I was not asked to unlock my luggage. I think it will also depend on your customs declaration form.

If this is an American Govmt. law, the Chinese are not 'obligated' to check every single piece of luggage that is locked, and in my case and other passengers' they didn't check. I believe they will ask you to unlock your luggage if they notice anything "suspicious", which is normal.

My advice for your fiancees would be to secure your luggage somehow to be safe from theft. Maybe the procedures are different at other Chinese International airports. Hope this helps somewhat...

A year ago, the flight agent in HK said my carry-on bag was too big. So I had to check-in the bag and I didn't have a lock. When I picked up my bag, my camera was gone with some photo in it.

I don't like this rule of not locking your luggages. What happens if your flight has stops in Japan or Korea or other countries. The bag handlers can steal your stuffs.

I bought some raw veggies from Nanning to US last year. The US custom agent searched my bags and didn't take them away. They were more concerned of illegal cds/vcd/dvd/software.

I think some people are misunderstanding my comments. When you are still in China but are coming here, you can probably lock it if you want. But, once in America, you are supposed to leave it unlocked. When you arrive in San Fran or LA, and catch another flight somewhere else, thats when it should not be locked.

To simplify things, it's probably easiest to leave it unlocked the whole time instead of unlocking it at San Fran. If you aren't asked to open it at customs, you may forget to unlock it before you give it to the next check-in place.

I just thought I would give this info out. It's what the US govt has been asking all passengers to do since Jan 1st. I personally don't like this new policy. I prefer to lock it. Supposedly if they open any bag to check, they are supposed to place a card inside telling you it has been opened.

Just because you declare nothing on the customs form doesn't mean they won't ask you to stand in the line to be checked. I was lucky enough both time to go through when I told them I had no food items. But, I think they may be more likely to check people of non-American origin.

As for the Chinese customs declaration, they are pretty much on the honor system there. If you declare nothing, you just walk on through. I was very surprised with the way they do it.

The first time I came to China in 2000 was with a group of American professors. One of the group lived in Bryan, Ohio. That is where the factory for Ohio Art is located. Ohio Art manufactures the famous Etch-A-Sketch. As a gift for some Chinese contacts in Shanghai, he had packed, in his check on luggage, six Etch-A-Sketches taped together in stacks of three.

Why so late, I don't know, but after we had boarded the airplane and they were ready for roll-back from the gate, suddenly the engines were shut down and two air marshels entered the plane and informed him that they needed him to come with them back to the terminal. After he left, baggage crews started rummaging around in the cargo bay and took out one bag.

The powder on the inside of the Etch-A-Sketch is powdered alumina. It seems that at just the right angles, which they managed to get, the powder had settled to the bottom of the three Etch-A-Sketches that were taped together and on the x-ray they looked like two sticks of dynamite. He said they showed him the picture and he had to agree that was what they looked like. He said he personally had to open the bag in the presence of one very nervous officer.

Thanks to his escapade we ended up an hour late getting off the ground. Fortunately, there was a big enough lay-over at Tokyo that we did not miss our connecting flight.

We never made contact with the people the Etch-A-Sketches were intended for, so the last University we visited, the staff that was detailed to meet with us recieved nice presents of an Etch-A-Sketch each.

Are you sure this applies to people entering the US?  As it is a USA rule, I am not sure China is going to enforce it.  Are they checking for explosives in China? She should be able to unlock it while waiting in the Customs line here so it will be unlocked for her connecting flight.  If the suitcase has a place for padlocks some people are putting wire ties there because then they can be opened by the inspectors without hurting the bag and  you will know if they have been opened. Some bags with combination locks may be a problem.  Perhaps they should get set to open at 000 and left unlocked for the connecting flight.  It also may be a good idea to put a strap around any hardsided bag to keep it from poping open if you do have it unlocked.

Don't forget to carry the brown envelope and passport in a carry on.

it also applies to people flying out of the US. I know this when I caught a Dec 26 flight to Beijing. Same deal too when I came back and recheck my luggage in Chicago for a wichita flight.

From what I understand, the "unlocking procedure" is just for departures from the US. Certain foods like chocolate are not supposed to be packed as they can trigger the new explosive detection machines. The tie wraps are a good alternative vs. having your bags cut. "Supposedly" all handlers are monitored by close circuit TV to prevent thefts.

Arrivals do not go through these machines.

It is just the way it is folks....

Be sure to warn your gal about the check on limitations too. Those also tightened. I checked Northwests web-site and they are insisting no exceptions now. I know they used to be pretty liberal.

Current rule for check-in is 45 linear inches (115 cm). And 40 pounds (40 jin). But there is a more important and more likely violated rule, 9 inches(23 cm) x 14 inches (36 cm) x 22 inches (56 cm).

That is a really small bag. Smaller than most carry-ons people used to get away with.

Be sure to warn your gal about the check on limitations too.  Those also tightened.  I checked Northwests web-site and they are insisting no exceptions now.  I know they used to be pretty liberal. 

Current rule for check-in is 45 linear inches (115 cm).  And 40 pounds (40 jin).  But there is a more important and more likely violated rule, 9 inches(23 cm) x 14 inches (36 cm) x 22 inches (56 cm). 

That is a really small bag.  Smaller than most carry-ons people used to get away with.

thank God, I was able to bring back luggage one/two piece at a time during my last 3 trips there since September. Only thing I need now is a fiancee :( . And she's only 105 lbs.. So we should be OK :rolleyes:

From a LAX<->GUZ itinerary:

...When I left Guangzhou for LAX, my luggage went through security,  and within 30 feet there was a checkpoint where every passenger had to pay 15 RMB per luggage to get their luggage bounded with those yellow "passed-security" strips (I'm not sure if this is mandatory, I saw some passengers who didn't get their luggage bounded),

The security strap gig is a scam. Notice closely the uniforms they are wearing, not security or airport personnel. Just a private business making a little money from unsuspecting passengers. Of course, for only 15 Yuan, is's cheap insurance against someone else easily opening your bag. But beyond that, it's not required. I only did it once, being the ignorant tourist! Not for my most recent trip though. The last trip home to LAX (Jan 1), I had both of my checked bags locked with a padlock, and I was never asked to unlock either of them. Not in CAN (GUZ) or at LAX. Seems the "unlocked bag" requirement is targeted for US domestic flights only.

105 lbs!!! Yes, but can she stay folded inside that suitcase for 11.5 hours? :lol:

Bill