Guangzhou.....

egolessvegan

For those of you who have had the opportunity to visit and spend time in Guangzhou, what was your overall perspective. What is the best and worst about Guangzhou.

A few of my favorites:

the subway system, the incredible restaurants, the vendors on the streets selling fruit, the endless places to buy all sorts of merchandise cheaply, the sightseeing inside the city, the people and the culture, and more

My least favorite:

in ground toilets,

Ken

:rolleyes:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it is a magical place. I visited one of Guangzhou's oldest streets, and the place was fantastic at night. I started wondering if my so would get bored living in the US.... I live in the quiet suburbs.

In additon, it seems that there is a lot of opportunity opening up in China. Many corporations are moving their operations there, and business is booming. I wonder where China will be in the next decade.

But I do agree that the toilets on the ground suck... just a bad idea all around.

It was fascinating to see all the activity on the streets in the evening in the public parks, the shopping areas, the restaurants, etc.. I guess what I am trying to say, it was like real life, not like the superficial existence that most of us have here in the US. The quality of life is certainly at a different level for many living in Guangzhou, but it seems like they have something special we are lacking here. I think it is REALITY!

Ken

:rolleyes:

My least favorite:

in ground toilets

I like the squatter toilets, the most hygenic way to do business - very clean. Most countries in the world have toilets like that. I wish we had those here in America. I can't count the number of times I've mosied up to a public toilet here in America and said to myself "I'd rather hold it". :D

The one really cool thing that I'll never forget about Interview City is the misters on ... on ... what's that one street there where it's only pedestrian traffic, lined with lots of shops? I forget the name. But it's lined with water misters that spew out cooling mist for all to enjoy. They really help to cool one down when walking in the heat of the day. I've never seen any other city with those. Very cool, literally. The airport is awesome too.

The one thing I don't like about IC is the pollution. I know all cities in China are polluted, and many much worse than IC, but I just can't bring myself to like the city very much because of the pollution. I've come to tolerate other polluted Chinese cities up north where it's cooler. But the pollution combined with the heat and humidity feels like murder.

Oh, oh, I almost forgot. Shaiman Island is way cool! I really like the calm, cool, oasis-like feeling of Shaiman Island. Its tree-lined walkways, little traffic, quiet, calm, cozy, pretty, picturesque, the place where my honey got her visa, the houses and architecture, etc, etc. Very nice.