Looking For Info On Visiting China

Hello, I have never posted before. I am a younger man (22) who has met a wonderful chinese girl online... I know 'join the club' right? Actually Me and my sweetie are rather fortunate, She had applied for her visa as a student before we met, and she actually recieved that visa recently.

Now, however, we are somewhat in a reversal of roles. I am planning on coming to China to visit her. This is already set up and I have my travel arrangements and papers in order. However, my family has become very upset at the news that I plan to travel alone to China. They are literally scared to tears for my safety. They have heard stories of the tenuous relations between our countries, and stories of American tourists being detained and stripped of their documents for even minor disputes.

I need to present them with information to help ease their worry somewhat. Basically what i am looking for is a listing of my rights as a US tourist in China, and a code of conduct to follow so as to avoid any unpleasentries with the local authorities. Honestly I am not too worried, I am a courteous and well mannered type of kid. But even so the cultures are so differnt, and to be honest I am quite ignorant of what is and is not acceptable.

If anyone can help me with this info, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks, Sean

Tell your parents that you will be perfectly safe in China. While our governments may have their differences, the Chinese people are great hosts, and will treat you with the utmost respect.

I traveled to China back in June and had a great time. Your GF will see to it you will never be alone or in a situation where you will be in trouble.

Because you are an American the average Chinese will be more curious about you, but will not embarass you by staring or making you feel uncomfortable.

As long as you don't do anything stupid, the Chinese police will bother you, but rather go out of their way to help you should you need it.

If you or your family have any specific questions, please feel free to contact me or anybody else here and we can aleviate any of their reservations.

Hello

First of all, where does your GF live? That might make a small difference but the majority of China is completely safe- in fact much safer from violent crime than the US. Petty crime such as stealing of cell phones and money are more common, especially to foreigners, but if you're careful it won't be a problem.

I understand what you're going thru with your parents- when I first came to live in China it was in the middle of the SARS episode so you can imagine they were pretty worried. However I've been here almost 2 years with no incidents other than getting my wallet stolen twice.

I can't offer you any concrete proof that nothing will happen to you but if your parents want to email someone who's lived in China for almost 2 years, please feel free to have them contact me.

amberbardon@yahoo.com

Let me know though first so I'll know it's not a SPAM email.

amber

I traveled *alone* through china for my 1st month, before I met my darling!

I have traveled with her through China since for more than 3 months.

From what we have seen (we have been in 16 different provinces in China now for at least 3 days each), it is *far* safer than the US to travel in.

The rate of VIOLENT crime is far lower, and the rate of this towards foreigners is almost unheard of. Although theft is high in large cities, or on trains/busses, it is not too bad if you are careful (and still on par with large cities in the US).

I had an amazing time before I met my darling, and an even better time afterwards. I saw amazing cites that do not exist in the US, including historical cites ranging 5000 years (some in good shape, some already known by tourists, and others not known, or in poor shape).

If you can speak **any** Chinese at all, people will go out of their way to help you in MOST PARTS of China (I found Shanghai, Hangzhou, Shaoshing, and Guangzhou to be the four exceptions). I have been offered so many free dinners, in exchange for some friendly conversation in so many places. I have been given free transportation to places (such as to and from xuenkongsi, just because my darling and I told them interesting stories of our travels, we saved about 150RMB and maybe 6 hours of time), and I have found of places never before that I could have imagined.

Where will you be going? Do you want some help as to places to visit?

If you want to hear some horror stories, I can share about my time in Thailand, in New York City (even though I was BORN near there), in the Netherlands, etc.

I only was only ever two times talked to by police, except for in the airport at customs (and at customs each time they were respectful, fast, and quite nice). The first was when I was lost and asked for directions, and the second was when I accidently went through the wrong door (an exit, rather than entrance), and did not yet learn to read the two signs. As a foreigner, she pointed this out to me, and I excused myself, and walked around and went through the other door. I have never seen a person getting beaten up by the police (although I am sure it happens, but in the US it happens far more often).

The fact is that many people have prejudices about China, especially if they have not been there themselves. There are problems, definitely, but I feel, after living in and around NYC, they are easy enough to deal with, if you have patience, learn quickly, and are willing to be open-minded.

PM me if you have any specific questions! I hope that you can teach your family as much as you learn while there. :P

China is one of the safest countries I've ever been to. I lived in China for three years and for about 6 months before I met my husband. It is so much safer than here because people don't have guns- violent crimes are very few, etc.- and people actually will not want to harm you because harming a foreigner comes with larger penalties. You are a guy also- you will be totally safe. I have been robbed in Caracas, some guys attempted to rob me in San Jose, Costa Rica- but I have never had any problems in China. You will be totally safe. Safer than many places in the US.

China is one of the safest countries I've ever been to. I lived in China for three years and for about 6 months before I met my husband. It is so much safer than here because people don't have guns- violent crimes are very few, etc.- and people actually will not want to harm you because harming a foreigner comes with larger penalties. You are a guy also- you will be totally safe. I have been robbed in Caracas, some guys attempted to rob me in San Jose, Costa Rica- but I have never had any problems in China. You will be totally safe. Safer than many places in the US.

Tong Yi (except I thought that Vietnam was also extremely safe...)

Tell your parents that you'll be safer there than almost anywhere else in the world. Use a little common sense; be polite and it is instantly returned! My SO always reminded me to protect my wallet in tight quarters ex. on a bus. Don't do anything stupid and you will be fine.

You will be equivalent to a 3 year old in the respect that you can't read a sign or half way explain anything....you will come to place your hand in your girlfriend's hand and will be guided and protected and loved.

The country is beautiful and you will soon experience that the people are friendly and beautiful too.

Be an ambassador...not "an ugly American" and enjoy the time of your life!!!

Phil & Yun

SeanBoy,

Congraulations on your first post, and welcome to the "family. "

I couldn't help but notice that everyone was so eager to help you answer your question, that not one person welcomed you. However, this is the way they are, always eager to help. I'm sure a small, slight oversight. Their hearts are always in the right place.

However, this is their loss, and MY gain. May I be the first to welcome your girlfriend and yourself to this forum. Please check your PM message box. I sent a private message to you in response to your RFA (aka military jargon for Request for Assistance).

Again, welcome to both of you.

Cerberus

I think just about all of us would say "not to worry", but if mom and dad want something official, have them take a look at http://travel.state.gov/visa/americans/ame...icans_1252.html which is the Department of State website related to travelling abroad.

You can also check out the US Embassy website in Beijing: http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/us-citiz...izen/index.html

The UK has a nice overview of travel advice too: http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagena...d=1013618385765

There are also many websites (mostly tour/travel sites) that provide good overview info related to travel.

This brings back memories of a long time ago. Before my first trip to Shenzhen, my brother said I would meet her and then be victimized by Chinese gangsters. Probably robbed of all my money due to a setup.

Well that never happened. However, I am told that Shenzhen has become a bit more dangerous since the access to the city was opened up.

A lot of good advice above. My advice is to buy a money belt because pickpockets are may be your biggest potential problem.

On the other hand, I have no idea where you are going.

Don't worry just take reasonable precaution as you would in any unfamiliar place. As a foreigner I think you are actually safer than a Chinese because everyone is already watching you. Nothing malicious just curiosity. When you keep hearing people say "loawai" they mean you and they are probably telling friends to look.

My Chinese friends had advised me to stay away from military places because soldiers view Americans as the enemy. Well that made me nervous, but I found police and military guards friendly and helpful. The only problem for both sides was frustration over poor communication.

Don't worry about social errors just try to learn while you are there. It takes years to learn.

Enjoy your trip. It is a wonderful place.

Yes- I didn't have any problems in Vietnam either- except maybe a woman at a hotel who lied about how much the train ride cost and how long it would take- but other than that Vietnam was safe- and Cambodia too- in my experience- although in Cambodia we did have a bit of a scary situation with a driver who took us up the country (6 hours) and then tried to demand payment from us after we had already paid- but we just refused and he took us there anyway.