Just Starting K1 Process

I lived in China for 3 years and used my grandparents address for every piece of paperwork that asked ffor it whenever it was presented.  As was also said before in this thread do not worry that they will throw you in jail, or refuse the petition because the address is your parents or grandparents or anyone else in your family, just make sure you use the same one.  As for her address don't even think about using the schools address, use her parents address and don't think twice about it, unless of course they don't like you :o which I am sure could never happen anyway.  My wife lived with me of course while we were married in China but it was also in the schools apartment so she also used her grandfathers address and did not change it through the whole process.

Thanks for the advice. Just wanted to ask you a few questions to clarify what you said. You say you used your grandparents' address for every piece of paper work that asked for it. Do you mean that you put that as your present address on BOTH the I-129F and the G-325A? Also, I assume your grandparents' address was in the US, right?

About my fiancee's address, I have another question. Luckily her parents like me, so that's not the problem. But her hukou is in Nanjing. Her parents' address is in Ningbo (well, actually a small city in the outskirts of Ningbo). If we list the Ningbo address, will that cause any problems, since her hukou is not there? And again, if we choose to use her parents' address, do we put that on BOTH the I-129F and G-325A?

Thanks,

Michael

It seems to me it won't make any difference as long as she gets the P-3 in a timely manner. The Police check will need to be done where her Hukuo is but that is not unusual. I am sure GZ is quite used that. Think of the I-129 F as the resume that gets you the interveiw. All they are really concerned with is that you have met in the last two years, You are eligible to marry and your relationship appears to be legit on a surface level. Getting an I-129F approved is easy. Its getting the visa thats the gut wrencher. I agree with the others that the thing to do is use your parents address. You will need them to co-sponsor her anyway because of your income while in China.

Hi Michael,

I apoligize for stiring up your hopes of DCF for K-1. I fell into a mind set and kept running with it that- I should have known better.

On the I-129F Section A. "Information about you" # 2 and 3 and likewise on Section B. #15 use your parents address. I would consider this to be your home of record or domicle. Like Jenny said YOUR mail will most likely go there despite putting a letter in there to the contary. I assume that many approval notices are made out inmass and the typists DO NOT look at letters in the folder. They are probably robotically looking at Section A #2 and 3 and using that. Other wise you would be relying on a Gov. worker to perhaps read your letter, maybe put a post note on it etc.

Another reason I vaguely might suggest that you use your parents address is that for the DCF using I-130 there are words on the DOS site about domicle and continued ties to the US. This just *might* become an issue (on a K-1) if you have remained in China for extended period of time. I vaguely recall 1 case on this issue.

On the G-325A I would then list where you have actually lived. I personally have had different info on both the I-129F and last I-130 than my G-325A's and I don't see this as a conflict. One is my domicle and the others where I actually lived.

On visajourney.com they have a guide for filing out the K-1 appl. and also a FAQ section. They address intent to marry and exact duplicate copies statements, assembly order, proof of meeting, on going relationship and other issues in it. It saved my behind from overlooking something on my first app. as I assembled it.

Alright, thanks guys. Then I think I'll go with my parents' address for me, and my fiancee's parents' address for her. Chinese Wife?, don't worry about stirring my hopes up. I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to do the DCF anyway, just because we only very recently got engaged, and it would be a bit swift to marry immediately to start the DCF process. Waiting for the K-1 is not something we're excited to do, but I think we're well prepared for it. We spent 20 months apart (with no visits!) from Dec 2002 to Aug 2004, so we know how to handle the time when there's an ocean between us.

Anyway, I think I've got all the answers I need FOR NOW. Thanks to everyone for what they shared, and I'm sure I'll be in search of more advice very soon. We're hoping to get the I-129F in the mail after we finish all the Spring Festival celebrations...

-Michael

Alright, thanks guys.  Then I think I'll go with my parents' address for me, and my fiancee's parents' address for her.  Chinese Wife?, don't worry about stirring my hopes up.  I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to do the DCF anyway, just because we only very recently got engaged, and it would be a bit swift to marry immediately to start the DCF process.  Waiting for the K-1 is not something we're excited to do, but I think we're well prepared for it.  We spent 20 months apart (with no visits!) from Dec 2002 to Aug 2004, so we know how to handle the time when there's an ocean between us. 

Anyway, I think I've got all the answers I need FOR NOW.  Thanks to everyone for what they shared, and I'm sure I'll be in search of more advice very soon.  We're hoping to get the I-129F in the mail after we finish all the Spring Festival celebrations...

-Michael

laomai,

That is exactly what I used for addresses with K1. I have not thought about DCF.

from one of your former posts.

I didnot use any international hotel addresses to USCIS or GUZ. I just used that for my personal mail with my dad. Many International hotels should do this. You may want to ask to make sure its OK. I had a friend who worked there and used c/o with my name on it.

I also brought the front desk staff a big bag of oranges when over and done with as a thankyou.

Sorry if i confused anyone.

Her parents live way out in the countryside and takes an extra week for mail to arrive.