I'd appreciate any help/advice on a couple questions that came up while doing my I-864.

1) Address. Since I am leaving in two months, would it be acceptable or not to use my US address for either mailing address or residence? I just don't want to have to file a change of address form as soon as I get there...

2) Form version. I just realized halfway through they sent me a 98 version of the form, whereas the one on the Internet I printed ages ago is 01 and some things are different. They're very efficient... Does it matter which one? Should I just use a printed Internet version?

3) Does tax/financial info need to be notarized? It doesn't say so on the instructions but I've read other things that did say so. My parents' is in the mail and don't know if they did that.

Oh, 4) and at this point, should tax year be 2003 or 2004? Actually, I'll probably just include attachments since I haven't filed anything yet, since at least 2000.

Thanks if anyone can help with any or all Q's!

Jenny

I'd appreciate any help/advice on a couple questions that came up while doing my I-864.

1) Address. Since I am leaving in two months, would it be acceptable or not to use my US address for either mailing address or residence? I just don't want to have to file a change of address form as soon as I get there...

2) Form version. I just realized halfway through they sent me a 98 version of the form, whereas the one on the Internet I printed ages ago is 01 and some things are different. They're very efficient... Does it matter which one? Should I just use a printed Internet version?

3) Does tax/financial info need to be notarized? It doesn't say so on the instructions but I've read other things that did say so. My parents' is in the mail and don't know if they did that.

Oh, 4) and at this point, should tax year be 2003 or 2004? Actually, I'll probably just include attachments since I haven't filed anything yet, since at least 2000.

Thanks if anyone can help with any or all Q's!

Jenny

Hey Jenny,

As, *I believe*, you and Jack are filing the I-864 direct with GZ? things may be somewhat different.

#1. Opinion only: If you consider this your permanent US "residence" address I think so. Otherwise, at a later date the address change on form I-865 becomes an issue.

#2. The revision I received last week insides my NVC package is 11/05/01. I've seen many posts here that GZ is hopelessly out of date with the form versions that they send out and it is acceptable to use them (the out dated ones). Personally I'm using a fillable version of the 11/05/01 version and don't expect that would be an issue for you to use it either.

#3. I absolutely know the answer for, YES, it does need to be notarized on Part 7 (page 6). I kind of think your parents would remember if they had to seek out the notary and doing this. In your case either the US embassy or consulate can do this (and *may* rip you for a $30.00 notarization fee).

#4. I'm not touching with a 10' pole. I recently saw a post about GZ rejecting people last year for I-864 being out of date BEFORE the tax deadline. In your case of making attachments this should not be a problem. *IF* GZ still has this wild hair up there *This year* your folks as "joint sponsors" will have to have 2004 taxes done.

Wish I could be of more help BUT I'm going through NVC. Wished I had residense status and could DCF :) .

Thanks sooo much Richard. I might put the US as one address. Don't think they'll look too carefully at mine anyway since I'm so poor, but then don't want troubles cuz of such a simple matter.

I know the form has to be notarized (embassy say maybe they won't charge, but we'll see...) but I mean do copies of tax forms as well?

I will just print a new copy since the old one has a question I don't know how to answer. Wish I could do fillable but printer at home is busted and don't have the program for saving it!

Thanks again!

I know the form has to be notarized (embassy say maybe they won't charge, but we'll see...) but I mean do copies of tax forms as well?

Hi again Jenny,

You blew #3 right past me. For some reason I thought you were asking about the I-864. I already have the pg. 7 to it (the I-864) notarized and that is ALL I plan to get notarized. There are some posters here that believe that it is better to get all tax papers, i.e., 1040s and W-2's notarized. I think this is overkill and am not planning to do so. I've got about 30 pages of 1040's and schedules plus about 15 W-2's and 1099's. Had to get a 2 page document notarized by the Shanghai Consulate- I got charged $30 for the first page and $20 for the second page. I'm back in NV for a month and notaties here are limited to $5.00 on the first and $3.00 for additional pages.

Wow, that's a LOT! Why do they charge for each page if you only sign one page?? I called the Embassy, and was told, after some hesitation, that for visa matters there shouldn't be a charge. I just hope that's true, because I'm not carrying hundreds of dollars there. We'll see what happens anyway.

If its req for the visa by the consulate their should not be a charge.

I had the same question about 4 months before her K1 interview and since they request a notarized I-134 copy in the P4 List they did not charge me.

Now if I had something to be notarized not requested I belive they would charge you.

Even before her interview I wrote up an updated I-134 since I thought mine might be out of date (4+months). However when I went to the american services window in GZ She said "its still valid" I believe they would not have charged me if it was outdated and this new one had to be notarized.

I also included a statement why I didnot file taxes in 2003 since I was living here in China non-resident status and as you put it so well "not enough money made to file taxes"

Thanks everybody. I went to today and got it notarized. "This is a free of charge service" the woman informed me after she did it, and so I properly thanked her. She grilled me though about my life and stuff and then started talking about the importance of proving "domicile". Guess it's good to be reminded.

Anyway, I was lucky too that I left off the address so far and they didn't notice or ask. Will wait and see when the interview is, if I'll still be living here or not...

Thanks everybody. I went to today and got it notarized. "This is a free of charge service" the woman informed me after she did it, and so I properly thanked her. She grilled me though about my life and stuff and then started talking about the importance of proving "domicile". Guess it's good to be reminded.

Anyway, I was lucky too that I left off the address so far and they didn't notice or ask. Will wait and see when the interview is, if I'll still be living here or not...

Jenny, The same lady notarized my stuff too. Did you try to speak to her in Chinese? Hope not. She's Korean-American. dough. :greenblob: Glad to hear I'm not the only one who got the "treatment". I don't have to take it personally now.

PS. My belly is still bigger than yours, so don't try to show off...OK? :ph34r: :greenblob: :greenblob: