This does not compute!!! Brain overload!!!

I was just sitting at the computer reading about Taoism, after just having read a piece on Buddhism. Our daughter, after rummaging through my CDs, popped one in and punched up Janis Joplin's Mecedes Benz.

My brain couldn't take the overload of conflicting messages. Melt down in progress!! Ow!! Ow!!

There is a Buddhist monks definition of the difference between old China and new China.

:rolleyes:

On the topic of monks, I've seen some monks in China with cell phones, rolexes, gucci glasses, etc...This is against the Buddhist philosophy of 'giving up the material world'. I've even heard monks in Pu Tuo Shan up in Zhejiang Province use the money from their offerings to buy Benz's, and all the nice 'materialistic' toys. Corruption in China has spread through all facets of the Chinese society! :rolleyes:

Owen:

Our campus is located in a beautiful countryside setting, about ten miles from downtown Shantou. There used to be a small row of restaurants on campus, referred to by the students as "Economic Row", as the prices were fairly cheap. About a year ago, the campus authorities, under pressure from the various "official" student canteen owners, demolished the row of buildings and ordered these enterprising business owners off campus.

Fast forward to chapter two:

Just outside the east gate of the campus sits a small temple with an attached monastary. It is really a tranquil place, nestled up near the food of a small crag with trees, ponds, and a beautiful but small garden. Well, one of the former restuarant owners got the bright idea to set up shop just outside the gate of the university and out of the reach of the authorities. Having done so, he developed a thriving student business. In short order, the other former owners from "Economic Row" followed suit. New building went up, including a three story job that I saw go from nothing to open in three months time. The concept spread like wildfire. Now there are ten eateries there, one even operated by students from the Business school. They have surrounded the monks like wolves around a crippled elk. So much for the peace and serenity.

Not to be outdone, the monks themselves have entered the fray. They set up a row of outdoor grills serving up low cost fair including corn, fried breads, and every kind of meat you can imagine (vegetarians you know) :rolleyes: And yes, they have cell phones, Rolexes (not the real ones) and smoke Marlboros like Telly Savales. In fact, one of them bears a striking resemblence to Kojak! :D Except for the orange robes, you expect him to walk up at any moment and utter, "OK Crocker, where's the stiff?"

Janis would be proud of these boys no doubt. I guess, in addition to the teachings of Buddha, they follow the teachings of Mao Zedong who once wrote:

"When the wind is raging, it's time to build windmills, not windbreaks".

What was it Dylan sang about?

"And the times, they are a'changin..."

:rolleyes:

On the topic of monks, I've seen some monks in China with cell phones, rolexes, gucci glasses, etc...This is against the Buddhist philosophy of 'giving up the material world'. I've even heard monks in Pu Tuo Shan up in Zhejiang Province use the money from their offerings to buy Benz's, and all the nice 'materialistic' toys. Corruption in China has spread through all facets of the Chinese society!  :lol:

Chinese Monks, like Christian clergy/preachers/etc. in many areas, have had this problem for hundreds of years. Granted, it's probably worse now than it has for a while...

Therevadan monks (SE Asia) have got it right. They don't own jack squat, and never will.

As for cell phones, I can see that a monk might have use for one... a car even. But maybe not a benz. :lol:

Aloha from Hawaii,

The Chinese people are very quick to adapt to any situation, Unlike our

government. When I was in Dong Tian Mu, a mountain village, I visited

a small Buddhist temple. Outside of the gate you could see a pay

telephone. Inside I saw services in two parts of the main building.

In the main part of the building there was chanting that was led with

a recording. It keeps everybody in time. In one corner there was an

air conditioner and a vaccum cleaner. To stay cool and clean. In another

room you could watch a pre recorded sermon on the television. If you

did not want to wait you could buy the teachings of buddha in hard cover,

paper back or on a video disc. China is in a state of rapid change. It

is like living in the computer game Sim City.

Myles aka Annakuen'GG