Just getting started

Would like to say Hello. I am just starting the whole process of brining my spouse from China. We were married in China on the 10th. I have been pouring over the uscis site and every other site I could find on tips to do this. My brain is complet mush! Was to the point of hiring a lawyer, have the contract in hand now and found this board. Thank God! Any tips would be greatly appreaciate. Anyone buy the diy kit some places offer?

Welcome Chad. You've come to the right place for help. Most of us did not use a lawyer because if all the instructions are followed on all the paper work you shouldnt have any trouble. There are links on this site that can show you the way for paperwork and you can also go to the BCIS web site for downloadable forms or just post any questions you have here and one of these Vastly Experienced Pro's will guide you in the right direction.

Welcome to CFL Chad. You've come to a good place for information. It seems that no matter what question you ask here someone has been in the same place before and can answer your questions. There is a search feature in the upper right hand corner.

Here are a couple links to questions about lawyers. There are more in the archives. Good Luck!

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....0ab43f56ec463bc

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....0ab43f56ec463bc

Start by filing the I-130 and supporting documents to the Service Center which has jurisdiction over your place of residence. Read and follow the instructions carefully including how to package and mail the the documents. It's all on the USCIS website.

This is where you begin.

-good luck and happy trails!

Thanks,  I have a bunch of forms I printed out.  On the pictures they want can they be printed on computer, not real photographs?  All the pics of us together were taken with digital camera.

No pics are necessary other then the ADIT style pics which are now just like passport pics to send along with the petition.

Pics of you together will come much later at time of interview

Thanks, I have a bunch of forms I printed out. On the pictures they want can they be printed on computer, not real photographs? All the pics of us together were taken with digital camera.

How do her name and address part 20 of the i-130? I cant write that stuff.

Part 21 living together, does 2 weeks count?

And do I file a i-130 for her daughter too?

I swear I thought I had all this, but now I cant find what I printed out. I thought I had some good instructions but cant find them on the net either. I searched here and found alot but not exactly what i need.

Hmmm welcome Chad, I will make the same offer that I made to another newbie not long ago...

I will make a copy of my paperwork, send it to you to change names, and charge a couple of grand...

hahahhaha just kidding..

I personally dont think lawyers are necessary. There is so much brainpower and experience on this site, most questions you have probably were answered before.

Dont be shy to ask.. lots of great people here to help..

:blink:

Thanks,  I have a bunch of forms I printed out.  On the pictures they want can they be printed on computer, not real photographs?  All the pics of us together were taken with digital camera.

How do her name and address part 20 of the i-130?  I cant write that stuff.

I swear I thought I had all this, but now I cant find what I printed out.  I thought I had some good instructions but cant find them on the net either.  I searched  here and found alot but not exactly what i need.

I used a photo editing program. I had both digital and film pictures. I scanned my film pictures into my computer. I printed all my pictures on HP photo paper. I put captions under each picture stating where, when, and who was in the picture.

I filed I-129f so I can't answer your I-130 questions.

Thanks,  I have a bunch of forms I printed out.  On the pictures they want can they be printed on computer, not real photographs?  All the pics of us together were taken with digital camera.

How do her name and address part 20 of the i-130?  I cant write that stuff.

I swear I thought I had all this, but now I cant find what I printed out.  I thought I had some good instructions but cant find them on the net either.  I searched  here and found alot but not exactly what i need.

The photos needed for the I-130 is a passport style photo. One of each of you. CIS changed the requirements Aug. 2, 2004. Look on the DOS site for details.

It's an easy trick for Item #20; Have your wife e-mail her name and address in Chinese to you and do a "cut & paste", literally. Then make a fresh copy of the document.

Item #21- You can put N/A or you can put the 2 weeks down. Not much signifance there.

And YES, you will need to file an I-130 for the daughter. Sooner or later.

After sitting back and taking a breath I calmed down last nite. Wanted get this started as soon as possible, but there are some things I have to get her to send me so I have to wait anyway. I went through about every form and read the instructions and am haveing her send me everything in one shot.

When I send copies of her birth cert. and her daughters and other forms do they need to be certified copies, or will photo copies do, then bring the real ones to the interview or send if asked?

When I send copies of her birth cert. and her daughters and other forms do they need to be certified copies, or will photo copies do, then bring the real ones to the interview or send if asked?

Don't forget, the Chinese birth certificates as well as other Chinese certificates need to be translated into English. This can be done at a Notary office in China.

Thanks guys. Gave her a list this morning on things to get, and have added more to that now. I sure wish I found this place before I went to marry her. I was so nervous about all these forms so bad the reading the instructions I am over analyzing everything!

I hit up visajourney like suggested and that was very helpful too. Between these two places it should just be a matter of" TIME"!

You guys rock!