Just adding another link, this is to the Consulate in Shanghai.

http://shanghai.usembassy-china.org.cn/tourist_business.html

Visa Categories

Business and Tourist Visas (B-1, B-2 Visas)

To obtain a visa for tourist or business travel to the United States, the applicant must be able to demonstrate his or her intention to enter the United States for a temporary period, solely for the purpose of tourism and/or short-term business. The applicant must also provide evidence of financial ability to cover his or her travel expenses to and stay in the United States, and sufficiently strong social, economic, and other ties in the applicant's home country to compel the applicant's return after a temporary and lawful visit. Under Section 214( b ) of the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952, as amended, a visa may not be issued to any applicant who is unable to overcome the legal presumption that he or she is an intending immigrant by demonstrating the above factors to the satisfaction of the interviewing consular officer.

Visa Specific Information and Documentation:

"B-1" VISA: The B-1 visa is intended for temporary business travel. This includes travel for negotiating contracts, attending exhibitions and conferences, short-term training, and consultations with suppliers and customers. The B-1 visa is not valid for employment in the United States. Applicants for B-1 visas should bring to their interviews documents concerning their anticipated business activities in the United States including detailed letters from U.S. business partners indicating the purpose of the trip; copies of contracts or other agreements with U.S. business partners; and information on machines, software or other equipment to be examined, tested or purchased in the United States, such as brochures or product catalogues. Applicants also should bring documentation proving strong ties to China that include, but are not limited to, bank statements, letters confirming employment, evidence of property ownership, marriage certificates, family photographs and proof of prior travel to the United States.

"B-2" VISA: The B-2 visa is intended for tourist activities, such as sight-seeing, visiting friends and relatives, obtaining medical treatment, and attending conferences and meetings. Visitors are not permitted to accept employment during their stay in the U.S. Applicants for B-2 visas may wish to bring to their interviews letters of invitation from friends or relatives in the United States, information confirming participation in a tour group or conference, and documentation demonstrating the applicants ability and intention, or that of friends or relatives in the United States, to support his or her travel and other expenses. Documentation establishing the applicants personal status, such as marriage certificates, letters confirming employment, bank statements, pay slips, etc. is also useful.

• 2 weeks later...

We want my mother-in-law to come help us with twins to be born this winter. How likely that she'll be approved? IT will just be her, my father-in-law will not be coming.

How likely is hard to say. The fact that your father-in-law is staying in China probably helps some, but the major thing will be showing she has a life (including him) to return to - i.e., a job, property, etc. etc. I've also found that having a detailed itinerary (even if it's not really completely followed during the visit) helps so the VO knows it's just a planned "visit" with an intent to return, rather than to immigrate.

Whether you mention she's coming for the birth of her grandchildren is questionable. While it's certainly an event they'd understand she'd want to be here for, the thought that she'd be coming as a "nanny" is somewhat frowned upon because although she won't be paid anything, it could be viewed as "work," which she can't do on a visitor visa. So, again, I'd recommend a detailed itinerary with a plan as to where she will visit and how long she'll stay in each place.

The first few pages in this thread have a lot of good information about the materials to prepare for the visa interview, so I'd recommend looking through them as well.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Who should do the I-134? Me or my wife. We both have jobs, and joint tax return.

It's really up to you and your discretion. I did an I-134 for my mother-in-law; at the time only I was working (I think).

My mother-in-law said they didn't even look at that though - but still submit it just in case. She said they did study the invitation letters and pictures we included though, and then asked her questions about them (e.g., when did your daughter get married, where is she living in the US now, when did she move, etc.)

Who should do the I-134? Me or my wife. We both have jobs, and joint tax return.

The most important is to provide evidence that your mother intend to return to China. This is the key for non-immigrant visa.

For example, information about your mother-in-law's financial status in China, information about your wife's sibblings, etc. If your father-in-law will remain in China, that can be a good evidence, too.

When my parents went for their interview last summer, neither my husband nor myself have steady jobs. We didn't provide any I-134.

My parents took family photos, my sister's employer letter (to show her job in China and income), my parents' owner certificates of their apartments, their bank account information, etc.

I provided an invitation letter, evidence of the relationship, copy of my green card, marriage certificate, things like that.

• 8 months later...

When my parents went for their interview last summer, neither my husband nor myself have steady jobs. We didn't provide any I-134.

My parents took family photos, my sister's employer letter (to show her job in China and income), my parents' owner certificates of their apartments, their bank account information, etc.

I provided an invitation letter, evidence of the relationship, copy of my green card, marriage certificate, things like that.

how long would the petition process take?....my wife is expecting in this august...and it would be nice if her parents come and visit us during or right after her delivery....what kinds of tourist visa would they be under?....i am guessing B-2 right?....is there a link or thread where i can follow the steps exactly for this application?.....thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.....

how long would the petition process take?....my wife is expecting in this august...and it would be nice if her parents come and visit us during or right after her delivery....what kinds of tourist visa would they be under?....i am guessing B-2 right?....is there a link or thread where i can follow the steps exactly for this application?.....thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.....

You just posted in it - http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...ost&p=92107

There is no petition - your parents apply directly at their consulate or embassy. Appointments are usually in the 30 day range. Check at their consulate.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...