Yes, the reason for denial was given and is the stock, carved in stone answer always given: Section blah blah of the code '...you failed to prove, beyond the remotest possibility, that you will return to China."

Do you have enough evidence? Would a jury of your peers convict OJ? It's all about the way the luck is flowing the day your in-laws show up. You might as well ask, 'Can somebody win the lottery?' Yes, somebody will.

They got it!!!!!!

My wife's brother and his wife will be here at the end of this month!

I'll post more details later, as I manage to get them.

Okay, first, here are the documents we prepared/had them prepare:

ÄãÃÇÃæÊÔʱÐèҪЯ´øµÄ²ÄÁÏÊÇ£º

You need to bring these documents with you to the interview:

1¡¢156±í

DS-157

2¡¢157±í

DS-157

3¡¢»¤ÕÕ

Passport

4¡¢2x2µÄ»¤ÕÕÕÕƬ1ÕÅ

1 2"x2" passport photograph

5¡¢ÖÐÐÅÒøÐÐÇ©Ö¤·ÑÊÕ¾Ý

CITIC visa fee payment statement

6¡¢ÎÒÃǼĸøÄãÃǵÄÑûÇëÐÅ¡¢ÑûÇëÄãÃÇÀ´µÄµç×ÓÓʼþ

Our invitation letter to you, and our invitation email

7¡¢ÎÒÃǼĵľ­¼Ãµ£±£

Our (notarized) economic guarantee we sent to you

8¡¢ÎÒÃǼĵÄÇ×Êô¹ØϵµÄ¹«Ö¤ÐÅ£¬½¨ÒéЯ´øÄãÃǵĽá»éÖ¤Ã÷

Our notarized statement of relationship we sent to you; we also recommend bringing your marriage certificate

9¡¢Ö¤Ã÷ÄãÃÇ»áÈçÆÚ·µ»ØÖйúµÄÒ»Çв¹³ä²ÄÁÏ£º

Any and all evidence that you will return to China on time:

ÆäÖаüÀ¨£º

To include:

(1)ÄãÃǵĻ§¿Ú±¾¡¢Éí·ÝÖ¤¡¢¹¤×÷Ö¤Ã÷ ¡¢¹¤×ÊÌõ¡¢ÒøÐдæ¿îÖ¤Ã÷£¨ÒøÐÐ×ʽð»î¶¯Çé¿ö¼Ç¼£©¡¢·¿²úÖ¤Ã÷¡¢³µ²úÖ¤Ã÷µÈµÄÔ­¼þ¡¢¸´Ó¡¼þ¡£

Your household registration, personal identification, employment certificate, salary statement, bank account statement (deposit/withdrawal activity), proof of home ownership, car ownership, etc; both original and copies.

(2)ÕÕƬ--»éÀñÕÕƬ¡¢¼ÒÍ¥¾Û»áÕÕƬ£¨ÈËÔ½¶àÔ½ºÃµÄºÏÓ°£¬ÔÛÃÇ6È˺ÏÓ°¡¢ÄãÃǺͰÖÂèµÄºÏÓ°¡¢ÄãÃǺÍÖÜ漸¸Ä¸µÄºÏÓ°¡¢ÄãÃǺͶà¶àµÄºÏÓ° £©¡£

Pictures--wedding pictures, family gatherings (the more people, the better), pictures of the 6 of us together [them, us, wife's parents], pictures with parents, pictures with their in-laws, pictures with your dog

(3)°Ö°Ö¡¢ÂèÂèµÄ·¿²úºÍÍËÐÝÖ¤Ã÷¡¢ÖÜ漸¸Ä¸µÄ·¿²úºÍ¹¤×÷Ö¤Ã÷¡£

Ba and Ma's home ownership and retirement certificate; in-law's home ownership and employment certificate.

(4)ÄãÃÇÁ©£º¹ØÓÚ´Ë´ÎÂÃÐеÄÇë¼Ùµ¥ºÍ×¼¼Ùµ¥£»Ê®Ò»ÒÔºó½üÆڵŤ×÷°²Åźͼƻ®£»ÄÜÏÔʾÄãÃÇÁ©ÊÂҵǰ;ºÜ¹â²ÊµÄÖ¤Ã÷£¨È磺Êܵ½ºÎÖּν±£©£»ÕýÔڲμÓÈκε¥Î»»òÕ߸öÈËÐÐΪµÄÅàѵ£»ÕýÔڲμӵÄÈκÎÐÔÖʵľãÀÖ²¿£¨½¡Éí¡¢ÃÀÈÝ¡¢Æû³µ¡¢ÂÃÓΡ¢ÅÀɽ¡¢ÅÊÑҵȵȣ©¡£

You two: provide your vacation request for the vacation period; provide your work arrangements and plans for after the vacation; anything that can provide evidence of bright future at work, like: any awards at work for outstanding performance; any scheduled future training or business trip opportunities; any club/activity memberships [note: probably not good to mention being a rising star in the Communist Party...] like car clubs, health membership, squash team, mountain climbing...basically anything that shows you have such a great, fulfilling life in China that there is no way you'd ever give it up to live as a fugitive/illegal alien in the US.

Èç¹ûÓÐÄãÄêµ×³ö²îµÄ»úƱԤ¶¨µ¥»òÕßni taitai Òª»ØÉϺ£»òÕßɽÎ÷̽Íû¼ÒÈ˵ĻúƱԤ¶¨µ¥Ó¦¸ÃÊǺõÄÖ¤Ã÷¡£

If you already have firm plans for your business trip at the end of the year, or if you have any plans for your wife to go back to Shanghai to visit relatives, and can buy the tickets now, bring proof of that with you.

In addition to those things, we also reserved tickets for them 2 days before the interview, then sent the email confirmation to them (timing it so we didn't have to pay for the tickets until after the interview occurred, pass or fail). That provided tangible proof that we were investing money in their return, since we paid for the tickets for them.

Hey all. It's been awhile. Thought I'd post in here as it's relatively live and related to my question. I remember somewhere around here seeing a link for travel (medical) insurance for the in-laws. Wendy's parents are going to visit and that's one of their concerns, so we're trying to price it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Edited by tmkeith (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They got it!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

Its been a long time since Ive been on line here.

Now my wifes nephew would like to visit and maybe go to college here.

I see A Mafan got a visa for other family member than parents.

My question is, how hard was it to get this visa? or is there another visa type that may be simpler?

For those wondering, Kim and I have been very happy since she's been here.

• 4 weeks later...

They got it!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

Its been a long time since Ive been on line here.

Now my wifes nephew would like to visit and maybe go to college here.

I see A Mafan got a visa for other family member than parents.

My question is, how hard was it to get this visa? or is there another visa type that may be simpler?

For those wondering, Kim and I have been very happy since she's been here.

If he's going to go to college, he needs a student visa...it may be easier to get, but I have no experience upon which to base that assessment.

A nephew might be harder to arrange for a normal visitor's visa, because it may be harder to demonstrate that he isn't intending to remain in the US illegally. But that's purely opinion, and it's worth a shot.

Using pretty much the same template as for my brother-in-law and his wife, our parents just passed and received a multiple-entry, 1-year visa for both of them together.

I have no clear idea of why we've been successful, but I have a few guesses:

1) exhaustive evidence of a comfortable, happy life in China with lots of family nearby (both my parents-in-law's families live in Beijing, with 4-5 aunts/uncles on both sides, and about 20 cousins...) with property, etc. The VO has to be clear that not going back to China would be a big sacrifice for the visitees.

2) A good reason why we want them to come to visit: (siblings-in-law: promised them a Hawaii honeymoon to make up for not being there for their wedding; parents: want them to see Hawaiian tropical paradise before I move to West Texas desert in April) (We think that these very typically human reasons help the VO to see them as people rather than numbers)

3) Exhaustive and careful organization. Make sure every block is filled out correctly and neatly. Make sure the packets of information are organized, with a cover letter stating the contents. Go through everything 3-4 times. Get both of you on Skype with the invitees to make sure

4) The right attitude: we both sets that when they go in for the interview, don't try to be persuasive. The evidence is in the paperwork we've provided, don't be worried, don't be nervous; if they ask a question you aren't sure of how to answer, just say "I don't know", or "that's not clear at this time". Answer only what you're asked, don't volunteer information that you might think is helpful (but that might raise flags or cause problems or lead to other questions).

Other possible influencing factors:

1) My ability to support them here without a problem may help convince the VO, dunno.

2) We reserved round-trip tickets for them before the interview, with enough time to email the itinerary and let them print it out. That way it demonstrates we are thinking ahead about their return.

3) We had our siblings bring pictures of their dog, which we think helped the VO see them as people, too.

4) Lots of fervent prayer hasn't seemed to hurt, either.

According to the bro-in-law and wife, the VO paid the most attention to the invitation letters. I'll try to post ours later, but Tine's examples were pretty much what we used as a starting point both times.

Using pretty much the same template as for my brother-in-law and his wife, our parents just passed and received a multiple-entry, 1-year visa for both of them together.

1) exhaustive evidence of a comfortable, happy life in China with lots of family nearby (both my parents-in-law's families live in Beijing, with 4-5 aunts/uncles on both sides, and about 20 cousins...) with property, etc. The VO has to be clear that not going back to China would be a big sacrifice for the visitees.

2) A good reason why we want them to come to visit: (siblings-in-law: promised them a Hawaii honeymoon to make up for not being there for their wedding; parents: want them to see Hawaiian tropical paradise before I move to West Texas desert in April) (We think that these very typically human reasons help the VO to see them as people rather than numbers)

3) Exhaustive and careful organization. Make sure every block is filled out correctly and neatly. Make sure the packets of information are organized, with a cover letter stating the contents. Go through everything 3-4 times. Get both of you on Skype with the invitees to make sure

4) The right attitude: we both sets that when they go in for the interview, don't try to be persuasive. The evidence is in the paperwork we've provided, don't be worried, don't be nervous; if they ask a question you aren't sure of how to answer, just say "I don't know", or "that's not clear at this time". Answer only what you're asked, don't volunteer information that you might think is helpful (but that might raise flags or cause problems or lead to other questions).

1) My ability to support them here without a problem may help convince the VO, dunno.

2) We reserved round-trip tickets for them before the interview, with enough time to email the itinerary and let them print it out. That way it demonstrates we are thinking ahead about their return.

3) We had our siblings bring pictures of their dog, which we think helped the VO see them as people, too.

According to the bro-in-law and wife, the VO paid the most attention to the invitation letters. I'll try to post ours later, but Tine's examples were pretty much what we used as a starting point both times.

This article was in yesterday's (12/02/07) Los Angeles Times.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-to...1&cset=true

It sounds like it will be easier for Chinese citizens to obtain tourist visas to the U.S. soon. Has anyone else heard about this?

Thanks

Hai Ying and Peter

My fiancee, Fei , was denied visiting me for the 4th time in 11 months today. She interviewed for the B1 tourist visa in Shanghai. The article I read said that the new agreement would be signed in "several weeks" lifting the ban which prohibits chinese nationals from visiting the US as tourists. We were hoping for spending x-mas together. She had our NOA1 with her along with my tickets/hotel reservation to HK for February 08.. The VO told her that meeting my family and making wedding plans was "our problem", and then told her visa denied. The handbook for the B1 visa states that the B1 is allowable when meeting the family and making wedding plans. The VO also told her she was denied because she intended to immigrate to the US. There was clear proof presented by Fei that she was not only intending to return to China...but that I was going to be in china to be with her in February 08. Her intent to eventually immigrate was the reason for her denial it seems. We will see what happens down the road regarding how the ban being lifted effects increased B1 visas being issued.

This article was in yesterday's (12/02/07) Los Angeles Times.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-to...1&cset=true

It sounds like it will be easier for Chinese citizens to obtain tourist visas to the U.S. soon. Has anyone else heard about this?

Thanks

Hai Ying and Peter

My fiancee, Fei , was denied visiting me for the 4th time in 11 months today. She interviewed for the B1 tourist visa in Shanghai. The article I read said that the new agreement would be signed in "several weeks" lifting the ban which prohibits chinese nationals from visiting the US as tourists. We were hoping for spending x-mas together. She had our NOA1 with her along with my tickets/hotel reservation to HK for February 08.. The VO told her that meeting my family and making wedding plans was "our problem", and then told her visa denied. The handbook for the B1 visa states that the B1 is allowable when meeting the family and making wedding plans. The VO also told her she was denied because she intended to immigrate to the US. There was clear proof presented by Fei that she was not only intending to return to China...but that I was going to be in china to be with her in February 08. Her intent to eventually immigrate was the reason for her denial it seems. We will see what happens down the road regarding how the ban being lifted effects increased B1 visas being issued.

Once a petition for a family related visa has started the DOS feels that you have declared your intent to immigrate and does not believe the beneficiary would return, denial is a given.

I know one lady who traveled to the US an average of 5 times a year for business. She met a friend of mine online and during one of her trips to the US they decided to get married in Vegas. After a brief honeymoon she returned to China. She made a few more trips back to the US in the following year and was denied the renewal of her B-1 once it was known her husband had filed an I-130.

The evidence was clear that she was conducting business in the US and returning to China to take care of her business, but the VO could not accept that she would return again as she intended to immigrate. Since arriving in the US she has returned to China both on business and be there when her granddaughter was born.

I'd quit giving the US a $100 an interview for a visa they will not approve, the new thing is for tourists only and they have determined she is not a tourist.